ACT available
03-11-2016, 07:05 AM
RE: ACT available
I've got a 97 with a busted ACT but no 67 Sad

- Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2016, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 07:17 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(03-11-2016 07:05 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I've got a 97 with a busted ACT but no 67 Sad

- Pauli

According to Eric's list, following ACTs can be used in HP-97

1820-1596
1820-1812
1820-2028
1820-2530

They can be found in HP-67, HP-19C, and in late HP-21,HP-22, HP25, HP-25C, HP29C models.

Unfortunately I don't have one of these as spare, except a 1820-2530 which I removed from my HP-19C, but I hope to reinsert it, when time for a restauration comes.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
03-20-2016, 07:04 PM
This morning a badly damaged HP-25 has been transformed into a proud HP-25E Ir. Perfect product with perfect guide. Printing program listings with an HP82240A infrared printer works like a charm :-)

When playing through new features I came along Stopwatch mode and it's calibration key EEX. Unfortunately it does not work. When pressing EEX second time after calibration time of 5 minutes stopwatch restarts. Nor display is showing 00-05-00.00 neither stopwatch calibration is done (Easily to test for me, cause my HP-25 is around 12 seconds to slow within 5 minutes).

Revision 1.07

Any hints? Thanks in advance!

Werner
03-21-2016, 08:39 AM
I will check V 1.07 stopwatch EEX key on wednesday.

congratulations for having built your HP-25E Ir Smile

Bernhard

03-21-2016, 11:27 AM
(03-21-2016 08:39 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I will check V 1.07 stopwatch EEX key on wednesday.

congratulations for having built your HP-25E Ir Smile

Bernhard

Thanks a lot.

"Unfortunately" second nonworking HP-25, intended to be rebuilt to an HP-34E Ir only had internal corrosion problems. After cleaning and some high wires it refuses to act like "my ACT chip is gone" as before. It is a pity ;-)

Werner
03-24-2016, 03:11 PM
(03-21-2016 08:39 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I will check V 1.07 stopwatch EEX key on wednesday.

I can't find a problem with stopwatch calibration in HP-25E Ir V1.07. EEX key starts stopwatch. EEX key a second time stops stopwatch and if the counter is between 4-30-00 and 5-30-00 it will change the calibration value and shows 5-00-00.00

Perhaps your EEX press was bouncing and restarted the calibration in one key press?? I don't have another idea.

Bernhard

03-25-2016, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2016 03:57 PM by PANAMATIK.)
GPS chapter added!

Finally finished. The new ACT manual 1.07 can be downloaded. It contains a new chapter describing the GPS module and how to build your own HP-25E GPS.

http://www.panamatik.de/ACTManual.pdf

Happy Easter!

Bernhard

03-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Bernhard;
That someone can do what you have done to create the replacement ACT, and write such an understandable manual is truly amazing in the real sense of the word.
03-25-2016, 09:39 PM
(03-24-2016 03:11 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  

I can't find a problem with stopwatch calibration in HP-25E Ir V1.07. EEX key starts stopwatch. EEX key a second time stops stopwatch and if the counter is between 4-30-00 and 5-30-00 it will change the calibration value and shows 5-00-00.00

Perhaps your EEX press was bouncing and restarted the calibration in one key press?? I don't have another idea.

Bernhard

Thanks for checking. Strange. I tripplechecked and same result every time. A bouncing key is very unlikely as stopwatch calibration shows right behavior when outside of "critical" 4-30-00 to 5-30-00 time window.

Werner
03-25-2016, 09:58 PM
(03-25-2016 03:56 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  GPS chapter added!

Finally finished. The new ACT manual 1.07 can be downloaded. It contains a new chapter describing the GPS module and how to build your own HP-25E GPS.

http://www.panamatik.de/ACTManual.pdf

Happy Easter!

Bernhard

Happy Easter, too. Great job. Thank you very much for sharing idea. Will extend my HP-25E Ir to an HP-25E Ir GPS when parts are here :-).
03-25-2016, 10:06 PM
(03-25-2016 09:39 PM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Thanks for checking. Strange. I tripplechecked and same result every time. A bouncing key is very unlikely as stopwatch calibration shows right behavior when outside of "critical" 4-30-00 to 5-30-00 time window.

Werner

Indeed strange. I programmed the official ACT version HP25E107.act with Update kit before testing: no problem with stopwatch calibration on my calculator.

PM sent.
Bernhard

03-25-2016, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2016 10:29 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(03-25-2016 08:26 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Bernhard;
That someone can do what you have done to create the replacement ACT, and write such an understandable manual is truly amazing in the real sense of the word.

Thank you for the flowers.

I remember, that I enjoyed reading the original HP-25 manual. Like others of that era it was a truly readable and colorful designed manual. I just wanted to imitate this kind of user manual. Perhaps my limited vocabulary in a foreign language keeps everything simple and leads also to a good understanding.

Thanks for reading the manual

Bernhard

03-25-2016, 11:20 PM
This is really great work again Bernhard!
And once again, despite having far too many projects already, I am tempted. Will there also be a 34e or 67e GPS firmware? Or is there not enough rom left for the additional code?

Cheers,
Harald
03-26-2016, 12:06 AM
(03-25-2016 11:20 PM)Harald Wrote:  This is really great work again Bernhard!
And once again, despite having far too many projects already, I am tempted. Will there also be a 34e or 67e GPS firmware? Or is there not enough rom left for the additional code?

Cheers,
Harald

There will be HP-34E GPS and 67E GPS versions released soon for download, but perhaps some features like stopwatch and additional memory have to be replaced to get enough program space.

Bernhard

04-02-2016, 01:47 PM
(03-25-2016 10:06 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 09:39 PM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Thanks for checking. Strange. I tripplechecked and same result every time. A bouncing key is very unlikely as stopwatch calibration shows right behavior when outside of "critical" 4-30-00 to 5-30-00 time window.

Werner

Indeed strange. I programmed the official ACT version HP25E107.act with Update kit before testing: no problem with stopwatch calibration on my calculator.

PM sent.
Bernhard

This mystery is solved. I confirm a bug in the new ACT stopwatch.

Bug: If you end stopwatch calibration by a long EEX keypress it will restart again. A short keypress does work correct. Obviously nobody yet has calibrated with too long holding down the EEX key.

Workaround: press EEX not too long Wink

Thanks for finding bugs.

Bernhard

04-08-2016, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 04:17 PM by Harald.)
Hi Bernhard,

today I have finsihed building my HP25E GPS.
However, so far I have not been able to get a position. Number of satellites remains a zero.
Does the fact that I do not get any error messages mean that the wiring is correct and the GPS module simply doesn't find the satellites? Turning GPS on and off changes the current consumption by about 40mA, which seems to be correct.

I have placed the module like you have done in this picture:
[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RSzFqY0RVamd1bmc]

But in the manual you ask for it to be installed upside down. Does that make a big difference?

Cheers,
Harald

Edit:
There is one more thing I noticed. When pressing EEX in GPS mode, after a while I get GPS OHH insted of GPS OFF. Is that a clue to what is happening?

And another update:

Success: It appears I was just a bit impatient. I don't know why the 10 minutes outside at lunchbreak were not enough, but on the way home I got results:
[Image: speed3tpji.jpg]

Thanks again for another great toy!! Smile
04-08-2016, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 07:18 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(04-08-2016 01:38 PM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

today I have finished building my HP25E GPS......

Hello Harald,

Congratulations for having built your own HP-25E GPS!!!!

First, it seems that you have the same car than I, congratulations again Smile

Second You must turn around the GPS module to increase the sensibility significantly, it makes a big difference!

Download the newest manual. I changed the image in the manual last week. The picture you are referring to, was posted before I made the experience, that the ceramic side must be placed opposite.

I sent you also a copper foil, which can be placed below the module, don't forget to isolate with tape. This increases the sensibility again. I'm sure you will receive satellites inside your home, when you are near the window.

Third, you will get "GPS OFF" when using an HP-25 Hardware. Am I right to assume, that you have taken an HP-29 or other hardware? They have a different display coding and cannot show the letter F.

Again Congratulations. But be careful while driving. When I tested the HP-25E GPS I was a very dangerous driver, because I didn't look on the street at all. I can't take on responsibility if anybody is using the HP-25E GPS Version in public streets Wink

Bernhard

04-08-2016, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 07:48 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(04-08-2016 01:38 PM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

today I have finsihed building my HP25E GPS.
However, so far I have not been able to get a position. Number of satellites remains a zero.
Does the fact that I do not get any error messages mean that the wiring is correct and the GPS module simply doesn't find the satellites? Turning GPS on and off changes the current consumption by about 40mA, which seems to be correct.

I have placed the module like you have done in this picture:
[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RSzFqY0RVamd1bmc]

But in the manual you ask for it to be installed upside down. Does that make a big difference?

Cheers,
Harald

Edit:
There is one more thing I noticed. When pressing EEX in GPS mode, after a while I get GPS OHH insted of GPS OFF. Is that a clue to what is happening?

And another update:

Success: It appears I was just a bit impatient. I don't know why the 10 minutes outside at lunchbreak were not enough, but on the way home I got results:
[Image: speed3tpji.jpg]

Thanks again for another great toy!! Smile

Are you taking pictures while driving @156.3Km/h and GPSsing with a woodstock?!? o.O

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2016, 07:53 PM
(04-08-2016 07:47 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Are you taking pictures while driving @156.3Km/h and GPSsing with a woodstock?!? o.O

It's a self driving car with newest Woodstock steering. Smile made in germany.

04-08-2016, 08:28 PM
(04-08-2016 06:58 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Hello Harald,

Congratulations for having built your own HP-25E GPS!!!!
Thanks

(04-08-2016 06:58 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  First, it seems that you have the same car than I, congratulations again Smile
Really? It is an e34 5 series BMW. A 518i touring only though, as it is the family car Smile

(04-08-2016 06:58 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Second You must turn around the GPS module to increase the sensibility significantly, it makes a big difference!

Download the newest manual. I changed the image in the manual last week. The picture you are referring to, was posted before I made the experience, that the ceramic side must be placed opposite.

I sent you also a copper foil, which can be placed below the module, don't forget to isolate with tape. This increases the sensibility again. I'm sure you will receive satellites inside your home, when you are near the window.
OK, I will do that. So the copper foil is supposed to keep noise from the ATC away from the GPS module?

(04-08-2016 06:58 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Third, you will get "GPS OFF" when using an HP-25 Hardware. Am I right to assume, that you have taken an HP-29 or other hardware? They have a different display coding and cannot show the letter F.
Yes, it is an HP21 hardware.

(04-08-2016 06:58 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Again Congratulations. But be careful while driving. When I tested the HP-25E GPS I was a very dangerous driver, because I didn't look on the street at all. I can't take on responsibility if anybody is using the HP-25E GPS Version in public streets Wink
Thanks, I am. The motorway was reasonably empty and I was only going 156,3 km/h ;-)

Bernhard
[/quote]
Harald

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)