Hope you can now.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2014, 01:00 AM
RE: HP Xpander
(11-17-2014 01:08 AM)John R Wrote:  I bought two of these, and unfortunately neither one works as advertised: on one of them, the touch screen is completely unresponsive (the Xpander hangs during boot because it cannot register screen presses for the mandatory calibration), and on the other, the screen has a few dead pixel columns.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the unresponsive unit also has a single dead pixel row. Excellent.

I just received mine, it's working but it too have a dead pixel row 8-(
I will keep it though, because economically it make no sense doing otherwise.

USA to/from Canada
a) Unit: 100$ USD + Shipping: 34$ USD + Duty: 25$ USD
b) Shipping back: ~35$ USD
c) 2nd Unit duty: 25$ USD (yep! they will charge me again the duty and will never return back the first one)

Sylvain
Find all posts by this user
11-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Massimo & Dave, many thanks for the pictures. I have got the battery cover off now and discovered the problem was some double sided tape.

If someone knows how to add these pictures to to the Xpander page of MoHPC that would be great. Particularly with a close up of both sides of the battery cover and front cover. I do not think that I am the only collector that handles his calculators with cotton museum gloves (those things have no grip) and after confirming the working state just wants to remove the batteries for (the calculator's) long term storage and preservation.

That said, having operated it a couple of times I think I can see why hp might have cancelled the project. The Xpander seems too much like a learning PDA and not enough like a calculator. Sadly the big three calculator companies (hp, TI & Casio) have all neglected the engineering market to focus on the much larger education market. I think with a more calculator like opening page on the software, the addition of Bluetooth and the ability to use the stylus and touchscreen as a pointing device on the coupled computer, the Xpander still has a potential market out there alongside the current hp-Prime.
11-27-2014, 11:28 AM
I received mine today & they seem to work perfectly from the mains.

I have successfully removed the battery cover - How on earth do you manage to get the batteries in?

Advice please.
11-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Hello,
i had the same reaction when i saw the springs on both sides...
It happen on mine Xpander that the battery is ejected on the side and i have no more electrical contact.
It doesn't bother too much because i am not going to use it on a daily base.

Thanks

Giancarlo
12-19-2014, 03:41 AM
$1500 for HP Expander!
Someone's asking $1500 for an HP Xpander on eBay. More than ten were available for $100 ea. just a month ago. I'll bet it doesn't sell.
12-19-2014, 01:34 PM
(12-19-2014 03:41 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Someone's asking $1500 for an HP Xpander on eBay. More than ten were available for $100 ea. just a month ago. I'll bet it doesn't sell.

This seller probably bought one last month and waited for there to be none listed, then presented this. If it does go at this price, one may consider writing the buyer and mention the importance of timing and patience...

--Bob Prosperi
12-19-2014, 04:01 PM
(12-19-2014 01:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-19-2014 03:41 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Someone's asking $1500 for an HP Xpander on eBay. More than ten were available for $100 ea. just a month ago. I'll bet it doesn't sell.

This seller probably bought one last month and waited for there to be none listed, then presented this. If it does go at this price, one may consider writing the buyer and mention the importance of timing and patience...

Or you could make this guy an offer of $0.01. And that is over-priced.
04-12-2015, 09:40 PM
(11-14-2014 08:06 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Hi David,

the Xpander software was developed by a company called Saltire…

Some software was licensed from Pedagoguery Software Inc. for use with the Xpander project.
09-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Saltire have kindly put the Xpander emulator back on their website.

HP-41C, HP-41CV, HP 48G, HP 49G, HP 50g, HP 35s, HP 15C CE, HP Jornada 420, DM41X β, Zengrange Gunzen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)