HP Prime Rev A - worth buying?
11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
HP Prime Rev A - worth buying?
There's variable pricing on the HP Primes - I'm assuming the lower prices are for older models, it's very hard to tell from ebay adverts. So, if I'm not going to use the wireless capabilities of Rev C, is it worth buying the Rev A models?
I'm not any sort of power user, just want to play around and see how it compares to my trusty HP48.
Any thoughts most welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 07:43 PM by toml_12953.)
RE: HP Prime Rev A - worth buying?
(11-03-2014 01:15 PM)Roger Ward Wrote:  There's variable pricing on the HP Primes - I'm assuming the lower prices are for older models, it's very hard to tell from ebay adverts. So, if I'm not going to use the wireless capabilities of Rev C, is it worth buying the Rev A models?
I'm not any sort of power user, just want to play around and see how it compares to my trusty HP48.
Sure! The original hardware is just fine if you don't need wireless. It's the software that's driving everyone bats. HP may get that right eventually and you'll be able to upgrade your software to the latest version. BTW, it's easy to tell the difference on eBay: There aren't any new calculators on eBay. All the ones for sale there are the older model. If the part # starts with NW, it's the older model. The newer calculator is part # G8X92AA. Search for that on eBay and when there is one, it will show up in the search. If the description doesn't say which it is, assume it's the older one. As for comparing to the 48, the Prime so much faster, you won't believe it! The programming model is totally different, though. If you like User RPL, you'll be disappointed in the Prime. If you're an old BASIC programmer like I am, you'll love the Prime. The Prime Programming Language (PPL) is close enough to BASIC to be familiar.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply - that makes sense about ebay pricing. I'll see if I can make a decision...
11-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Well I took a punt on an 'old' HP Prime - not from eBay. Let the frustrations commence!
11-11-2014, 09:25 AM
(11-03-2014 01:15 PM)Roger Ward Wrote:  There's variable pricing on the HP Primes - I'm assuming the lower prices are for older models, it's very hard to tell from ebay adverts. So, if I'm not going to use the wireless capabilities of Rev C, is it worth buying the Rev A models?

I think most HP RPN/RPL addicts will agree with me, when I say: This is not NOT an HP 50G. It totally lacks the RPN stack seen from a program.

BUT nevertheles BUY IT!

It's a very cool calculator (sorry, computer).

Programming it is very different from programming a 50G. But it's fast (very).
And if You are an RPN/RPL addict, You will soon learn how to pass arguments and return results as LISTS.

I have a 50G on top of my Prime. The 50G is second to none in being an open platform. The Prime is 'just' really cool.
11-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Unless you are looking to use the HP Prime for classroom connectivity purposes, Hardware A should be fine.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2014, 11:45 AM
(11-03-2014 01:15 PM)Roger Ward Wrote:  So, if I'm not going to use the wireless capabilities of Rev C, is it worth buying the Rev A models?
The StreamSmart data logger also won't work, AFAIK.
11-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the advice all

Given my level of usage, Rev A will be fine.
I'm enjoying playing with it, and I've even started programming.
I'd agree that it's very powerful and fun to play with. But it has some practical limitations for everyday basic use which make it difficult to rely on (unit conversions and % calcs for a start).
I'll keep playing though.
11-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Has anybody seen a Rev C in Germany? If I search the Internet, ebay, german dealers ... all sell the NW280AA. (ok for more than reasonable prices, but what if I want to connect somedays experiments etc ...) ..

best regards
Ralf

--
real: HP48SX, WP34S, WP31S, HP41CV
on phone: go41cx, free42, droid48

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)