[BUG] Another Prime bug or just my calculator ?
12-24-2013, 04:41 PM
[BUG] Another Prime bug or just my calculator ?
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this buggy behavior or if it's only an anomaly in my particular unit. Specifically, whenever I'm working in the Define view (<Shift> x t O n), I am getting random sudden reboots/resets when doing just about anything. Sometimes I press Esc and it happens, other times I'm in the middle of entering a function name and it happens. This is the only strange unpredictable behavior I've noticed with this new unit (my first unit was a disaster and was returned to HP). Other crashes involve known bugs and are repeatable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2013, 11:07 PM
RE: [BUG] Another Prime bug or just my calculator ?
I am not encountering any problems with Define on my HP Prime. I have the latest
firmware update installed.
12-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I have the latest firmware installed as well. Maybe there's some corruption of my firmware download or that happened during the update, but I'm not going to chance repeating it. Since I posted, it happened 3 more times and I lost a bunch of unsaved data. Really annoying. It just seems like the HP gods don't like me for some reason.

Also, it's really stupid how you can't just rename a User Function the way you can with a program. Instead, you first have to save it as a duplicate with the new name and then delete the old User Function.
12-25-2013, 12:35 AM
I find DEFINE pretty useless anyway (except for graphing), since functions defined with DEFINE (!)won't be recognized inside CAS functions or commands, e.g.

DEFINE NNN(X,Y)=X^2-Y^3

solve(NNN(x,3)=6,x) returns [[]]

BUT

nnn:=(x,y) -> (x^2-y^3) as a CAS function

solve (nnn(x,3)=6,x) returns {-sqrt(33), sqrt(33)}

But I find it odd your Prime would go flaky only when using DEFINE. Maybe it is time to reset it!
12-25-2013, 12:49 AM
(12-25-2013 12:35 AM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Maybe it is time to reset it!

You mean hit it with a hammer ?
12-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Only as a last resort Smile

Why not try the paperclip routine at the back with ON-SYMB, and reload the firmware?
12-25-2013, 02:12 AM
I can reload the firmware directly from the CK without doing all that. But, every time you do this there is the possibility of really screwing things up, so unless it gets a lot worse I won't bother. I will just have to power down and restart frequently to save work when using Define. I also do a hard reset every time I start up the calculator.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)