Hp prime SD card
09-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Hp prime SD card
Hi guys, i have a question about Hp prime
It has no SD card? memory in HP prime is enough for everything?I need a calculator that can store a large number of equations
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Hp prime SD card
Hola,

The Prime do not have storage expansion slots of any kind.

However it has a large RAM memory of 32MByte (giving about 16MByte of free space after a clean boot according to Tim Wessman)

But above all, it has a USB port to connect to the "HP Connectivity Kit" application that runs on Windows.

The package also includes the "HP Prime Virtual Calculator" program that also talks to the "HP Connectivity Kit".
This combination allows you to create and debug your programs in a PC without the need to use the physical calculator.

In this way you can store all your programs in the PC, and only transfer to the physical calculator those programs that you need at the moment.

Un Saludo,

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
09-13-2014, 06:38 PM
I believe the prime has 256 meg of flash memory so even with out a sd card it should have room for alot of formulas
09-13-2014, 07:38 PM
(09-13-2014 06:38 PM)Dougggg Wrote:  I believe the prime has 256 meg of flash memory so even with out a sd card it should have room for alot of formulas

Yap, 256MB of Flash ROM to save the Prime Operating System and programs, and 32MB of RAM to run them.
Depending on the definition of "large number of equations" I would say that the Prime has got plenty of storage space for a big number of user projects (programs, variables, functions, etc) before one exhausts the storage space.

That said, I would not rely uniquely on the Prime to store my precious project copies.
That's why I use the HP Connectivity Kit and the Virtual Calculator as described above, to make sure I have backups.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-14-2014, 02:37 AM
The HP 50g can use SD cards if you still think you need that functionality.
09-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Can you still buy SD cards easily? (not SDHC, which the 50g won't work with) Or do you have to look and possibly order from somewhere?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-14-2014, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2014 02:45 PM by cutterjohn.)
(09-14-2014 03:39 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Can you still buy SD cards easily? (not SDHC, which the 50g won't work with) Or do you have to look and possibly order from somewhere?
yes, but I usually just buy uSDs and use an SD adapter as prety much only my 50G and camera use SD cards, everything else uses uSDs, excepting one chinese game console that uses miniSD(again uSD w/an adapter).

Plain old uSD cards aren't that cheap any longer(v. new SDHC variants, even 4GB cards cost almost as much as 8 or 16GB), and the hierarchy of good->bad goes: made in XXX, where XXX=
Japan(Toshiba only mfg in Japan BEST BY FAR plain old SD mfg)
Taiwan(somewhere between best and worst, varies by mfg)
China(tend to really crap out as they get full, avoid if possible)

The old mfg rule doesn't seem to apply with SDHC though, or such has been my experience.

50G: Hmm... I wonder if SD is a memory(OS) limitation, as IIRC the electrical spec is the same, and some other older devices were able to utilize SDHC via driver updates. fw update time...

[EDIT]
I've had recent experience with plain old SD uSD cards as I ordered some Thursday, which showed up in the mail yesterday... for the price I could've bought 16GB uSDHC cards, but for what I'm using them for the device will NEVER be able to handle SDHC -> need SDs. 2GB uSD w/SD adapters were c. $5 apiece, probably can find them cheaper but I was in a hurry.
[/EDIT]
09-15-2014, 03:07 PM
(09-14-2014 02:32 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  50G: Hmm... I wonder if SD is a memory(OS) limitation, as IIRC the electrical spec is the same, and some other older devices were able to utilize SDHC via driver updates. fw update time...

You are correct. Besides the higher clocks and new transfer modes, there's no physical or electrical differences. As long as the card supports the old 4-bit transfer mode (which as far as I know is still mandatory) it should work.
Of course there's the software problem, since addressing changes from byte to block (usually 512 bytes), I'd say the driver in ROM is the only obstacle to using SDHC cards on a 50g.

Claudio
09-19-2014, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2014 02:34 PM by toml_12953.)
(09-14-2014 02:37 AM)Chris Pem10 Wrote:  The HP 50g can use SD cards if you still think you need that functionality.

Yeah! My 50g can store 2GB on one. Take that, Prime!

Of course the Playmate of the month just doesn't look as good in medium-res grayscale as she does in full color hi-res on the Prime so there's that trade-off. Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-19-2014, 07:17 PM
(09-19-2014 02:31 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(09-14-2014 02:37 AM)Chris Pem10 Wrote:  The HP 50g can use SD cards if you still think you need that functionality.

Yeah! My 50g can store 2GB on one. Take that, Prime!

Of course the Playmate of the month just doesn't look as good in medium-res grayscale as she does in full color hi-res on the Prime so there's that trade-off. Smile

Aww. My wife just reminded me that I don't even like girlie magazines. Well, my photos of the Starship USS Enterprise look better, anyway.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-24-2015, 07:37 PM
In my experience SD cards on phones have certain reliability advantages over both USB drives and embedding content on a specific device.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)