What's a good HP-71B stand?
09-13-2014, 10:09 AM
What's a good HP-71B stand?
Can anyone here recommend a calculator stand that fits the HP-71B and tilts it up at least 30°? The wide, clear stand that was popular in the EduCalc days was gorgeous but shallow (it was probably made in Hollywood). My initial Internet search did not find anything that's both wide enough (7.5 inches or 19 cm), tall enough (4 inches or 10 cm) and tilted high enough. Thanks in advance!

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2014, 02:47 PM
RE: What's a good HP-71B stand?
That could be a nice diy project...
Taking a sheet of acrylic plastic (in color or transparent), have someone to do precision cutting of the required pieces, and then glue everything together.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
09-13-2014, 03:10 PM
I made one out of wood back in the 80's. I started with a piece that had a small lip on the bottom edge. I then attached a couple of strips of Velcro on the bottom. I cut a dowel to the width of the base and wrapped the other half of the Velcro strips around it. The dowel could then be positioned to adjust the viewing angle.

Dave
09-13-2014, 03:46 PM
using perspex, just heat and bend a sheet yourself. a hot air gun used for paint stripping will do the trick. another option is to look at book display stands used in your local bookshop - with a bit of luck the shop may even be willing to order in one of the exact right dimensions for you.

rob :-)
09-13-2014, 04:37 PM
(09-13-2014 10:09 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Can anyone here recommend a calculator stand that fits the HP-71B and tilts it up at least 30°? The wide, clear stand that was popular in the EduCalc days was gorgeous but shallow (it was probably made in Hollywood). My initial Internet search did not find anything that's both wide enough (7.5 inches or 19 cm), tall enough (4 inches or 10 cm) and tilted high enough. Thanks in advance!

I'm bringing 2 different style 71B stands to HHC, so will show them to you next week. Both can be readily made, and to my simple mind at least, far easier than melting perspex, but Robert's probably looks nicer.

Teaser - One of them has a built-in pocket to hold the PIL-Box.

Also, there was a clear plexiglass stand for Voyager series machines (long ago, probably avail thru EduCalc, though I don't recall so) that show up on TAS every rare now and then. It kinda works, as long as you don't press hard on the keys on either end of the kbd; or to say it another way, it doesn't really work. But it looks nice.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)