Battery cover for a HP 28C/19B
09-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Battery cover for a HP 28C/19B
I have two of these beautiful clam shell calculators, and one of them is missing the battery cover door. I can switch the cover from one to the other, but I sure would love to find a spare one that someone may have lying around.

Please let me know if you have one and are willing to sell it or if you know where I might find one. I have checked ebay and have not seen any listed.

Many thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: Battery cover for a HP 28C/19B
(09-03-2014 06:37 PM)KD8TZC Wrote:  Please let me know if you have one and are willing to sell it or if you know where I might find one. I have checked ebay and have not seen any listed.

You might be able to get a good price on an entire clamshell-series calculator to use as a donor unit; occasionally some of these (the 18c in particular) are available very cheaply, especially if they are listed as untested. Often the asking or bidding price for a nonfunctional or untested calculator is better than the asking or bidding price on a particular piece.

It doesn't look like there are any fantastic bargains on clamshell auctions ending soon, but you might spot something if you keep checking over the course of a week or so.

John
09-03-2014, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 07:52 PM by KD8TZC.)
Yes, I thought of that route, but I'd rather buy just the part I need for less if possible. That would be a good "plan B" though.
09-03-2014, 09:21 PM
AJ fabricated an extremely robust stainless steel wrap-around replacement a couple of years ago (spans the back of the calculator and anchors on the hinge side). You might check with him to see if he wound up with any extras.

See here for details.

Bob
09-03-2014, 09:31 PM
It looks like Adam estimates $20 for the wrap-around solution while this 18C is $19 on eBay. There are no pics of the battery compartment cover, though, so you should probably ask the seller for additional pics.

Dave
09-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Hi Clamshell Lovers!

Yes I did make a number of these a few years ago. I still have the CAD geometry and a basic tool to bend the arc on the piece. I haven't attempted to make another batch as the bending process was done by hand by me and was time consuming to get it right. I did talk to a sheet metal fabricator who said he could do it with his equipment, but I never had him prototype one.

I should send it back out for quote and see if I can get a RTU piece.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)