Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day?
08-20-2014, 03:43 AM
RE: Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day?
(08-19-2014 03:15 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 04:50 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Anybody have any thoughts on something durable, not super pricey, and perhaps pocketable? Essentially, I need to be able to maintain multiple lists of numbers over a 24 hour period, and quickly see the total for each of those lists. Then wipe them (or store an archive copy) and start over after I've recorded the totals elsewhere.

If you have an Android phone, then Google Sheets can do the arithmetic, and Google Forms can capture the data. Other than that, I'd probably write a few routines for the 11C or 15C.

If a 15C will deliver the mail on this, perhaps a DM-15C to get the size down?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2014, 05:52 AM
RE: Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day?
(08-19-2014 10:04 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I'm shying away from a smartphone spreadsheet, mostly because there's usually some launch time involved to open the program and load the correct sheet. Then without macro support, data entry usually involves a lot more interaction than should be necessary, particularly for entering dates and times.

That's why I suggested Google Forms - it will allow you to enter just the data point(s) of interest, and will do the date/time stuff automagically. Plus, it does it on a server in the cloud, somewhere - you just need the form in a browser window, which you can leave open. You only need the backing spreadsheet when you want to analyse the captured data.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to stimulate thinking.

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-20-2014, 06:26 AM
RE: Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day
(08-20-2014 05:52 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  That's why I suggested Google Forms - ... it does it on a server in the cloud, somewhere - you just need the form in a browser window, which you can leave open.

Dave, do you really want your medical data in the cloud?!? Undecided

(08-20-2014 05:52 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  Anyway, it was just a suggestion to stimulate thinking.

This as well.

d:-?
08-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Can you not just use a pocket dictaphone and simply dictate the volumes consumed / expelled each time? Then type up at the end of the day, or when convenient, into a spreadsheet, which can do any necessary unit conversion.
08-21-2014, 01:57 AM
(08-20-2014 06:26 AM)walter b Wrote:  Dave, do you really want your medical data in the cloud?!? Undecided

I actually do store some of my medical data in the cloud - I put my weight, daily pedometer reading and BP figures in a Google Sheet. I get nice graphs to illustrate my current weight loss (lack of!) progress, and it saved me around 90 minutes and a consultation fee when I last needed a renewed prescription for my hypertension medication - I just emailed a link to my GP and she posted back the prescription.

The risks are minimal - we're not talking national security here - and the benefits outweigh them.

--- Les
08-21-2014, 03:06 AM
(08-21-2014 01:57 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 06:26 AM)walter b Wrote:  Dave, do you really want your medical data in the cloud?!? Undecided

I actually do store some of my medical data in the cloud - I put my weight, daily pedometer reading and BP figures in a Google Sheet. I get nice graphs to illustrate my current weight loss (lack of!) progress, and it saved me around 90 minutes and a consultation fee when I last needed a renewed prescription for my hypertension medication - I just emailed a link to my GP and she posted back the prescription.

The risks are minimal - we're not talking national security here - and the benefits outweigh them.

Yeah, data on how much I drink and pee isn't terribly valuable to a typical identity thief. Wink
08-21-2014, 03:35 AM
There's no requirement that the data be properly labeled. Or even labeled at all.
08-21-2014, 04:30 AM
(08-21-2014 03:35 AM)htom trites Wrote:  There's no requirement that the data be properly labeled. Or even labeled at all.

Right. If I can put a small text label on each individual item, that's nice, but not essential. The main thing is separating the categories properly.
08-21-2014, 06:01 AM
RE: Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day
(08-21-2014 03:06 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 01:57 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  I actually do store some of my medical data in the cloud - I put my weight, daily pedometer reading and BP figures in a Google Sheet. I get nice graphs to illustrate my current weight loss (lack of!) progress, and it saved me around 90 minutes and a consultation fee when I last needed a renewed prescription for my hypertension medication - I just emailed a link to my GP and she posted back the prescription.

Yeah, data on how much I drink and pee isn't terribly valuable to a typical identity thief. Wink

Big Grin - I wasn't talking about those customers. Wink Think of insurances and banks instead: you may well get special rates when they already know your health data. Undecided But it's your decision anyway ...
08-21-2014, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 08:13 AM by Les Bell.)
(08-21-2014 06:01 AM)walter b Wrote:  Big Grin - I wasn't talking about those customers. Wink Think of insurances and banks instead: you may well get special rates when they already know your health data. Undecided But it's your decision anyway ...

The big concern with cloud computing is data sovereignty, i.e. the possibility that a foreign government might demand access to data stored within its borders or by a cloud service provider conducting business there. This is a big concern for corporate intellectual property and financial records, for example, but Dave's input/output analysis is unlikely to be a matter of national security.

Other concerns for enterprise users include BCP/DRP planning, whether they can get access to logs for incident analysis, data archiving and discovery, etc. For the individual user, the big issue is credential theft, e.g. by cookie sniffing, etc.

I've taken a look at how Google deals with these issues, e.g. by using an encrypted block filesystem with randomized file names, use of two-factor authentication and other controls, and I'm happy to store a considerable proportion of business data on their servers. I don't see any way in which an insurance company or bank could get access to Dave's data without engaging in some seriously criminal activity, any discovery of which would result in scandal, let alone significant legal penalties. It's a vanishingly improbable scenario.

--- Les
08-21-2014, 08:47 AM
(08-21-2014 08:12 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 06:01 AM)walter b Wrote:  Big Grin - I wasn't talking about those customers. Wink Think of insurances and banks instead: you may well get special rates when they already know your health data. Undecided But it's your decision anyway ...
... For the individual user, the big issue is credential theft, e.g. by cookie sniffing, etc.

True. Please let me add that data privacy is another big issue.

Quote:I've taken a look at how Google deals with these issues ...

ROFL. Here you take one of the two biggest dealers on that market (Facebook is the other) ... Thanks for that really good joke! Cheers!! Big Grin
08-21-2014, 10:15 AM
(08-21-2014 08:47 AM)walter b Wrote:  ROFL. Here you take one of the two biggest dealers on that market (Facebook is the other) ... Thanks for that really good joke! Cheers!! Big Grin

I think you are confusing a social networking site with a SaaS cloud service provider, and your prejudices are showing.

--- Les
08-21-2014, 10:44 AM
(08-21-2014 10:15 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  I think you are confusing a social networking site with a SaaS cloud service provider, and your prejudices are showing.

Wait and see. I don't want to experience the postjudices (i.e. consequences), so I'd refrain from putting very personal data in the cloud. But as I wrote before, it's your decision ...
09-05-2014, 02:47 AM
Well after a lot of waffling and experimenting with various devices, I've opted for the 17BII. It's relatively compact, not too difficult or costly to replace, and lets me maintain multiple lists of numbers via the SUM menu. As an added bonus, the alarm function lets me set a reminder to gather the totals and clear the lists each night, plus I can set alarms for medications I have to take throughout the day. It seems to get the job done well enough for those basic tasks. For anything more complex, I can simply use the 200LX, or Excel on my iPad.
09-05-2014, 11:12 AM
(09-05-2014 02:47 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Well after a lot of waffling and experimenting with various devices, I've opted for the 17BII. It's relatively compact, not too difficult or costly to replace, and lets me maintain multiple lists of numbers via the SUM menu. As an added bonus, the alarm function lets me set a reminder to gather the totals and clear the lists each night, plus I can set alarms for medications I have to take throughout the day. It seems to get the job done well enough for those basic tasks. For anything more complex, I can simply use the 200LX, or Excel on my iPad.

A well-reasoned choice.
09-05-2014, 08:19 PM
(09-05-2014 11:12 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 02:47 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Well after a lot of waffling and experimenting with various devices, I've opted for the 17BII. It's relatively compact, not too difficult or costly to replace, and lets me maintain multiple lists of numbers via the SUM menu. As an added bonus, the alarm function lets me set a reminder to gather the totals and clear the lists each night, plus I can set alarms for medications I have to take throughout the day. It seems to get the job done well enough for those basic tasks. For anything more complex, I can simply use the 200LX, or Excel on my iPad.

A well-reasoned choice.

I detect a hint of bias there, but I don't disagree with your sentiment. Wink

I forgot to mention that it's also really easy to enter measurements that are in fl. oz. rather than mL. I just keep the conversion constant in reg 0, so I can enter values with, say, 8 RCL 0 * INPUT.
09-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Medical Records in the Cloud - It's here now!

I think that boat has already sailed in the United States. Most of our Medical Records are already in the "cloud". I went to the Doctor today, he had a Wi-Fi notebook, he could access all my medical records, he could place order for my prescriptions electronically to almost any pharmacy including mail order pharmacies.

I have emailed my doctors to set up appointments and for follow up. They will usually email me back within 12 hours with the appointment set up. Very convenient. Is it secure - who knows.

I go to a laboratory and have medical tests done, they are sent electronically to the doctors. This includes xrays, mri scans, etc. No waiting for lab results to be mailed to the Doctors.

I have no ideal how secure any of these medical records are. I'm sure there are rules and regulations on it - but who knows how secure it is.

I don't know what other countries do, but the US is pushing for electronic medical records. There are great benefits to it, but as mentioned, also possibility for abuse. Time will tell. But it is here now, whether we want it or not.

Bill
09-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Dave, IMHO, decided wisely to use a 17BII for data collecting: totally offline - there's no need to have these data in the net. There may be a later point where uploading becomes inevitable, then he's bound to do it. I wouldn't do it unless it's required - the benefit must outweigh the risk of abuse always present. Think of those awkward photographs of some US movie stars recently stolen out of the cloud, for example (a big story here). Difficult topic ...

d:-/
09-06-2014, 09:40 PM
(09-06-2014 09:21 PM)walter b Wrote:  Dave, IMHO, decided wisely to use a 17BII for data collecting: totally offline - there's no need to have these data in the net. There may be a later point where uploading becomes inevitable, then he's bound to do it. I wouldn't do it unless it's required - the benefit must outweigh the risk of abuse always present. Think of those awkward photographs of some US movie stars recently stolen out of the cloud, for example (a big story here). Difficult topic ...

dUndecided

Well in this particular case, I'm just using the 17BII to record some figures that I total up every 24 hours and record in an Excel spreadsheet. Then at the end of the week, I email it to my doctors.

The data in this particular spreadsheet is of such low value to any potential information thief, that I'm not particularly worried. Fluid intake, blood sugar, weight, temperature... Just stuff like that. Nothing that I would be overly protective of, though I certainly wouldn't begrudge anybody else for feeling differently.
09-07-2014, 01:57 AM
(09-06-2014 09:40 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Then at the end of the week, I email it to my doctors.

OMG! Don't let Walter hear you say that! I hope you're at least encrypting that email, since mail servers are at least as insecure as cloud storage, and usually hacked in the same way. Wink

--- Les

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)