HP49g+ plotting multiple functions
08-14-2014, 12:54 AM
HP49g+ plotting multiple functions
How do I plot multiple functions simultaneously?

I would like to make two plots at once. For example: in polar r = cos theta, r = sin theta. Or in cartesian y = x and y = 2x. For example, to find intersections.

I searched the user's manual, user's guide, and the advanced user's guide to the best of my abilities (I am legally blind and must use a video magnifier). If one can help me and tell me which page in the documentation I can refer to, I would be grateful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2014, 02:48 AM
RE: HP49g+ plotting multiple functions
Plot the first equation, then go back to the equation entry window and enter the second equation. Plot the 2nd one without erasing the first. That should do it.
08-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Thank you. That worked.

Another question if you don't mind. I am following this guide to convert between polar and rectangular coordinates. However, when attempting to enter a polar coordinate to the stack, I am not able to enter an angle in radians in the form of an expression of pi.

For example, in MODE I have Radians angle measurement and Polar for coordinate system. In the stack I attempt to input () 1 ALPHA Right-Shift 6 Left-Shift SPC
to try to enter (1,pi) ... but I get "invalid syntax". I tried to use '' as well to no avail.
08-15-2014, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 04:21 AM by Joe Horn.)
(08-14-2014 03:18 PM)MathAssassin Wrote:  Another question if you don't mind. I am following this guide to convert between polar and rectangular coordinates. However, when attempting to enter a polar coordinate to the stack, I am not able to enter an angle in radians in the form of an expression of pi.

For example, in MODE I have Radians angle measurement and Polar for coordinate system. In the stack I attempt to input () 1 ALPHA Right-Shift 6 Left-Shift SPC
to try to enter (1,pi) ... but I get "invalid syntax". I tried to use '' as well to no avail.

Can't do that (as you discovered). The angle symbol is only a direct numeric entry method; it can't be mixed with calculations. It's like trying to enter 1.23 EEX (2^4) to get 1.23E16. That doesn't work because EEX only allows digits, not calculations. Same with the angle symbol while entering polar angles.

Suggestion #1: Leave your calculator in polar display mode, but create the point using the ->V2 function (in the MTH VECTR menu) instead of the angle symbol. Make sure flag -19 is set (that forces the ->V2 function to create a complex number instead of a vector). Example:

To create the polar point (7.8 angle pi/6), type 7.8 pi 6 / ->V2.

To see the angle in terms of pi, use ARG ->Qpi.

Suggestion #2: Use degrees. They're neater. Wink

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
(08-14-2014 12:54 AM)MathAssassin Wrote:  How do I plot multiple functions simultaneously?

I would like to make two plots at once. For example: in polar r = cos theta, r = sin theta. Or in cartesian y = x and y = 2x. For example, to find intersections.

I searched the user's manual, user's guide, and the advanced user's guide to the best of my abilities (I am legally blind and must use a video magnifier). If one can help me and tell me which page in the documentation I can refer to, I would be grateful.

You can supply a list of functions to the plotter, and each will be plotted in turn. The equation editor can't edit lists though, so it's easier to do this:

{'x', '2*x'} STEQ

... and then revisit the "2D/3D" screen.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)