WP34s firmware update
03-07-2023, 10:25 PM
WP34s firmware update
Hello, I have searched the forum to see if what I'm looking to do has been covered and haven't found any posts about what I would like to do.

I have a WP34S I would like to get the firmware updated. I use to have a cable but can't find it and I also don't have a windows machine. IIRC win95 was needed for the flash software. I built a new machine and got a serial connector for it but I'm guessing that won't work with windows10 and as stated I can't find my cable.

The current version I have is 34S 3.1T 3303 with the timer crystal.

Is there anyone around here that could update the firmware for me. I will gladly pay for the service and the shipping. I would really appreciate it.

Another question is it really needed to update the firmware. were there any big bugs or updates or is the current version I have good enough to get along with.

Also are overlays for the keyboards still available?

Thanks for reading my long winded post(if you made it this far).
Christopher Johnson
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2023, 01:27 AM
RE: WP34s firmware update
https://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/HEA...realbuild/
03-10-2023, 06:04 PM
Thank you for your reply. I know where to get the firmware as I have flashed my device in the past many times. My problem is I have no way to flash the device and I'm am looking for anyone who could flash my device for me. Thanks
03-10-2023, 08:13 PM
(03-07-2023 10:25 PM)cjjohnson Wrote:  Also are overlays for the keyboards still available?

I have 6 sets left. They come two sheets in a set.
However, the ones with “WP34S” top left are finished. The ones I still have, say “WP34C”, look on the photo here: https://cocoon-creations.com/download/IMG_2141.PNG.

Pm if you need.
J

Jaco Mostert, Elec Eng
C47 on DM42, 42S, WP34C&S, 28C, 35S, 32Sii, had 11C; used 67, 85; iOS:42s, Free42, WP31S&34S, HCalc; OSX:WP34C.
03-16-2023, 01:02 PM
Have you found a flashing source?

TomC

(03-07-2023 10:25 PM)cjjohnson Wrote:  Hello, I have searched the forum to see if what I'm looking to do has been covered and haven't found any posts about what I would like to do.

I have a WP34S I would like to get the firmware updated. I use to have a cable but can't find it and I also don't have a windows machine. IIRC win95 was needed for the flash software. I built a new machine and got a serial connector for it but I'm guessing that won't work with windows10 and as stated I can't find my cable.

The current version I have is 34S 3.1T 3303 with the timer crystal.

Is there anyone around here that could update the firmware for me. I will gladly pay for the service and the shipping. I would really appreciate it.

Another question is it really needed to update the firmware. were there any big bugs or updates or is the current version I have good enough to get along with.

Also are overlays for the keyboards still available?

Thanks for reading my long winded post(if you made it this far).
Christopher Johnson
03-19-2023, 04:35 AM
(03-16-2023 01:02 PM)TomC Wrote:  Have you found a flashing source?

Same question. I can update your WP34S using any version available on Sourceforge.

My preference though is for Bit's versions, described here: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2433.html

I don't have any Windows machines either, nor HP's programmer cable. I used a Mac running Ubuntu Linux and Wine with a custom flash programming box I built, adapted from Jebem's instructions, all of which is described here: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-25...25975.html

Since then I added a timer circuit to make the Tx / Rx LEDs more noticeable, a simple task that nevertheless doubled the board space.

None of this was easy...

Version history may be found here, although it may not be the best or most comprehensive source: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2476-page-15.html
04-12-2023, 08:47 PM
(03-07-2023 10:25 PM)cjjohnson Wrote:  ...and I also don't have a windows machine. IIRC win95 was needed for the flash software. I built a new machine and got a serial connector for it but I'm guessing that won't work with windows10 and as stated I can't find my cable.

It's been a couple of years since I last flashed mine, but I can say 100% I did all my flashing on a Windows7 machine. I used (originally) a homemade cable and then eventually switched to the genuine official HP cable which a very nice person gave me. It was definitely always Win7, though and worked fine. I have a new(er) laptop now with Win10 but haven't tried on that.

Good luck!

burkhard
12-15-2023, 03:45 PM
[quote='TomC' pid='170186' dateline='1678971752']
Have you found a flashing source?

TomC

No, I have not. I am now just considering selling the calc as I really never use it.

cjjohnson
12-15-2023, 05:54 PM
Ok. PM me if you are still interested...
12-16-2023, 06:35 PM
I made a cable out of readily available components. The heart of it was a USB to 3v TTL cable from Sparkfun. I flashed my wp34s with it on a Windows 11 PC. Win 10 should be similar. See my detailed description here:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20668.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)