If only 1 more function…
01-23-2023, 03:04 AM
If only 1 more function…
Several HP’s left me wishing that they had just 1 more function…the 42S would benefit from XROOT(Y), the 35S with d/dx. That said, I very much like both. The 42S with a good amount of program space, nice handling of matrices and complex numbers, up to 6 letter labeling of variables, a decent statistics analysis capability. I like how the 42S can deal with undefined endpoints in an integral with a defined result. d/dx would have been nice, but a simple d/dx program is quite satisfactory for this. Perfect size for shirt pocket.

The 35S has the XROOT(Y)…d/dx would have made it easy to find the extremum of a function in the solve application. I like how the 35S will make a fraction conversion based on the fix setting of #digits to display. CASIO’s, TI’s will not find a candidate fraction if the decimal approximation does not agree with a candidate fraction out to at least 10 digits. I like how both the 35S and 42S allow the operator to choose the proper balance between digits displayed and accuracy/time to perform an integration. I will have to think about writing a d/dx program, perhaps one for algebraic and one for RPN.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2023, 02:02 PM
RE: If only 1 more function…
If I could add one function to the 42S, it would probably be RTN+1, i.e. return and skip the next step to allow for making programs/functions that can act like conditional tests.

Pushing and popping the entire stack to a background storage location in order to allow for easier recursion would also be nice, but that would be more than one function. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2023, 06:24 PM
I would add to HP-41CX or X-Function module one function to return the name of current X-File. So obvius...

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
01-24-2023, 09:12 PM
As a HP 35s owner I would like to test a d/dx program, mostly for RPN system. Thanks in advance. Pedro
01-25-2023, 05:10 AM
And what about a LASTy command?

After an operator involving stacks x and y we see how useful LASTx can be, and a LASTy could be of great help too.

Put a calculator into your life!
01-25-2023, 06:14 AM
(01-25-2023 05:10 AM)Roberto Volpi Wrote:  And what about a LASTy command?
After an operator involving stacks x and y we see how useful LASTx can be, and a LASTy could be of great help too.

That sounds reasonable, but I suspect I'd get little use of it.

Do other people use LASTx a lot? I only use it when I'm seriously optimizing a program. I almost never use it outside a program.
01-25-2023, 09:10 AM
(01-25-2023 06:14 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  ...
Do other people use LASTx a lot? I only use it when I'm seriously optimizing a program. I almost never use it outside a program.

I only really used it occasionally to recover from mistakes.
From the HP-25 User's Handbook:

01-26-2023, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2023 03:18 AM by Thomas Klemm.)
(01-24-2023 09:12 PM)PedroLeiva Wrote:  As a HP 35s owner I would like to test a d/dx program, mostly for RPN system.

If you are okay with the crippled support of complex operations of the HP-35S you could use the Complex-Step Derivative Approximation.

Interestingly lrdheat already posted in the same thread:
(08-25-2018 05:19 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  This is why, if just 1 function could be added to the HP 42S, I would choose xROOTy !
01-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Oh, thought of another one: The HP 55 really needs a percent-change function like most other HPs have. I use my 55 as my general-purpose desk calculator, and that's the one thing that annoys me about it!
01-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Hello!

(01-26-2023 02:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Oh, thought of another one: The HP 55 really needs a percent-change function like most other HPs have.

That must be one of the functions that I have never used in any calculator, not even out of curiosity ;-)

My most missed function in any calculator (apart from a few like the HP-67) is "H.MS+". Ideally unshifted, because this is the only function I ever need calculator for.

Regards
Max
01-27-2023, 01:18 PM
... if I could wish, I would have opted for a "LastXeq" function, ie a key that repeated the last executed command (ie. "last-not-on-keyboard-command").
By keeping XEQ key pressed, it could change from "XEQ __" to suggest the last executed command, or NULL if hold even longer.

I sometimes find myself executing a function a couple of times in a row, but to few to bother to assign it to a key ... Wink

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
01-27-2023, 02:07 PM
...if I could wish, an elementwise multiplication for vectors and matrix on hp42 / DM42
best regards
Gjermund

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)