Alpha in programs...
01-10-2023, 02:06 AM
Alpha in programs...
Hi. I'm familiarizing myself with the examples in the WP34S official documents. It shows a sample program like here: https://imgur.com/a/k6yvQJv or see attachment.

But when I enter that into either my physical WP-34S or my Android WP-34S emulator, it doesn't show lines 003 and 004 with multiple characters on them - each character takes up an entire program step.

Is this just an inaccuracy of the document, or is something funky going on?

I'm kind of struggling with some of this alpha stuff - I suppose it generally works, but it's just not immediately intuitive what to do. Still finding my way through the wilderness.

Thanks guys - stay safe out there!

-- Kip

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2023, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2023 05:18 PM by Thomas Klemm.)
RE: Alpha in programs...
Have you tried hitting \(\text{f} \; \alpha\) twice?
At least this worked for me on the iPhone.
Also I was able to insert ! by hitting h !
Some other keys allowed me to enter further special characters.
However I haven’t figured out how to enter lower case letters.
01-10-2023, 04:44 AM
Hey, that did it. How odd - not sure I see any use for the one char per step mode. But sure enough - that let me get it into three-per.

Thanks very much!
Kip
01-10-2023, 06:18 AM
(01-10-2023 04:25 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  However I haven’t figured out how to enter lower case letters.

f EXIT toggles between upper and lower case letters.
01-10-2023, 01:52 PM
Yeah, if you look at the very bottom left of your keyboard, there's a little up-arrow there. That's the case toggle.

I've now messed with it enough that I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Took me a few minutes to figure out ENTER gets me out of alpha mode - my first instinct was to want to use f-Enter again to get out, just as I'd gotten in. Also took a bit to figure out I was going to have to re-establish the three-char step mode every step. It actually does everything we need - it just has to be done exactly right. :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)