01-09-2023, 10:31 PM
Casio & Sharp DRG> conversion
Hi all.

I’ve experimented already. Just wondering. Is there a way on

Sharp EL-W516X and T
Casio fx-115ES Plus (1st & 2nd Gen)
Casio fx-991ES Plus (2nd Gen
Casio fx-991EX Classwiz

to directly convert a temperature value without having to cycle through the DRG> (>DRG) function.

Next do these functions pay attention to the units specified in the value (e.g. if 120r is entered)? Or does the angular mode dictate the units for the entered value?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2023, 07:53 AM
RE: Casio & Sharp DRG> conversion
You mean angular conversion (not "temperature", as you wrote).

Check these videos (all Hungarian, maybe YT can generate automatic subtitle), but the important parts are easy to understand:

The whole playlist here: CASIO fx-991CEX Classwiz Playlist

Deg-Rad(-Grad) conversion by details
The fastest conversion with SOLVE
A static example (mechanics) with lots of angular conversions in equation, SOLVE and TABLE

nJoy!
Csaba
01-10-2023, 11:23 AM
Matt,

until now I have taken all your questions seriuosly and always tried to give good answers. But this time I really think that you want to make fun of us. Are you?

Regards
Max
01-10-2023, 01:24 PM
The fx-991EX doesn't appear to have any sort of DRG> conversion function (or it's too early in the morning and I just can't find it), but the OPTN, Angle Unit menu serves that same purpose. These are essentially postfix functions (like the square function) that convert an input value to the currently selected angle unit in the Setup menu.

Note that the angle mode only affects the behavior of the trig functions and these angle unit conversion functions, there's no inherent degrees/radians unit attached to any values. Most notably, the degrees-minutes-seconds key is always operating on values as if they are degrees. So switching to radian mode, calculating arcsin(.5), and pressing the DMS key returns 31'24.96", which is of course nonsense (it's just the raw radian result rendered as if it were decimal degrees). Likewise, using the DMS key to enter sin(30 degrees) while in radian mode first converts 30 degrees to decimal degrees - which is still 30 - and then calculates sin(30 radians) because of the selected angle mode. But using the degree symbol/function from the OPTN Angle Unit menu will convert properly, e.g. sin(30 degrees) in radian mode will return 1/2.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2023, 01:57 PM
(01-10-2023 11:23 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  until now I have taken all your questions seriuosly and always tried to give good answers. But this time I really think that you want to make fun of us. Are you?

Smile Smile Smile Big Grin

I'm sure there are lots of polite member here with same feelings... At least the European members.
When I saw a new post from Matt, I always check his bio and I can't decide the "devoted mathematician" real meaning. Smile

Matt,
we really like your posts, but yes, I have same feeling, you like to ask more than receiving and understand an answer. Wink BTW: I'm happy with your questions, those are really freshes this old-fashioned-cold-war-era Wink forum.

Only one request: try to ask something which is not written in the manual Wink Big Grin As Max try to say: answers to your questions easily figured out after few keystrokes on the actual calculator or found in the manual, so if you want to LEARN to use them, try it by yourself first, and if you can't figured out try to ask.

No offense, I'm just joining to Max.

For example a bug(?) in CASIO fx-991CEX's quadratic equation solver: if you set complex mode on, select polar form as complex mode and try to calculate the roots of 3X^2-5X-2=0 equation with the built-in polynome solver, you will get an interesting result for negative REAL root!

So, keep your posts here, but try by yourself first Wink

Csaba
01-11-2023, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2023 04:14 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(01-10-2023 11:23 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Matt,

until now I have taken all your questions seriuosly and always tried to give good answers. But this time I really think that you want to make fun of us. Are you?

Regards
Max

Rest assured, my intentions are purely educational. I am as passionate about calculators as the group is. I am constantly curious and have spontaneous curiosities.

I have legit questions. There is absolutely no desire or intention to post insulting or demeaning questions.

This recent batch is since I have just purchased the Casios, Sharps, and TI because I wanted and was interested in their capabilities and logic systems.

In so doing, I am interested in adapt RPN and AOS programs and algorithms to work on my new calcs.

I hope this helps.
01-11-2023, 11:34 PM
(01-10-2023 07:53 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  You mean angular conversion (not "temperature", as you wrote).

Check these videos (all Hungarian, maybe YT can generate automatic subtitle), but the important parts are easy to understand:

The whole playlist here: CASIO fx-991CEX Classwiz Playlist

Deg-Rad(-Grad) conversion by details
The fastest conversion with SOLVE
A static example (mechanics) with lots of angular conversions in equation, SOLVE and TABLE

nJoy!
Csaba

Big thanks! Bookmarked, noted, and added to desktop.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)