Mobile computing (video)games
01-03-2023, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2023 10:41 PM by pier4r.)
Mobile computing (video)games
I am not meaning here the games that say:: "here is a equation, compute the final value" (as a supposed mental training), rather games that propose a computing challenge to find the final value in some ways that are not trivial.

On android I know only two.

- One that is really neat to produce a solver for it (it is not too attractive to solve manually): https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...alculateme
- Another that is attractive to solve even manually: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...devilscalc . There one has to identify how unknown functions work, to get to a goal value.

Do you know any others?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2023, 12:02 AM
RE: Mobile computing (video)games
(01-03-2023 10:35 PM)pier4r Wrote:  games that propose a computing challenge to find the final value in some ways that are not trivial.

For Android, in French, there is "Le bon compte" where you have a target number that must be reached by combining 6 other numbers pulled randomly and by using only the 4 operators. Each number can be used only once.

For example you have the six numbers: 5, 9, 2, 4, 1, 4 and the target number is 820
The solution is:
5x4=20
20x4=80
80+2=82
9+1=10
82x10=820

This is based on the TV game "Des chiffres et des lettres" which includes also a letter game where candidats need to find the longest word that can be written with a set of random letters.
01-04-2023, 11:38 AM
(01-04-2023 12:02 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  For Android, in French, there is "Le bon compte" where you have a target number that must be reached by combining 6 other numbers pulled randomly and by using only the 4 operators. Each number can be used only once.

For example you have the six numbers: 5, 9, 2, 4, 1, 4 and the target number is 820

Neat, I think I saw something in English too. Is that a variant of the 24 game? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_(puzzle)

01-04-2023, 01:23 PM
It's the UK game show, Countdown. Sadly, there is no equivalent for the United States, as there should be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2023, 12:18 AM
In Australia, SBS used to broadcast "Letters and Numbers" -- now they have a celebrity version of it. The arithmetic wizard, one Lily Serna, was described as "a weapon of maths instruction."
01-10-2023, 08:53 PM
(01-10-2023 12:18 AM)JimP Wrote:  In Australia, SBS used to broadcast "Letters and Numbers" -- now they have a celebrity version of it. The arithmetic wizard, one Lily Serna, was described as "a weapon of maths instruction."

There's also a comedy version of "Countdown" in the UK called "8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown".

— Ian Abbott
01-10-2023, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2023 10:02 PM by jte.)
Thanks for mentioning Calculator: The Game and The Devil’s Calculator: A Math Puzzle Game. I installed both on my iPhone to try later. One game my daughter used to play regularly was Calculords.
01-11-2023, 04:31 PM
Checking calculords sounds interesting but unfortunately it is another example of "internet can forget". Disappeared from play stores and seemingly difficult to find, because without in app purchases (IAP) one does not get the entire game (and IAP needs a working internet server).

01-11-2023, 07:04 PM
(01-11-2023 04:31 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Checking calculords sounds interesting but unfortunately it is another example of “internet can forget”. Disappeared from play stores and seemingly difficult to find, because without in app purchases (IAP) one does not get the entire game (and IAP needs a working internet server).

Unfortunately, yes. When I recently started installing games on my new-to-me iPhone, I found out that Voro is in the same boat.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)