TI-36X Pro, 30X Pro, and PEDMAS
08-06-2023, 08:40 AM
TI-36X Pro, 30X Pro, and PEDMAS
Hi all.

My previous post has led to some interesting peculiarities.

So, the 36X Pro for the US and the UK’s 30X Pro uses PEDMAS. Then the 30X Pro MathPrint (I’m presuming it’s the model used in the UK and other non-USA countries) also uses PEDMAS. I’m thinking that non-USA countries follow PEJMDAS. Maybe that’s an off-supposition.

Perhaps what I should be asking is do the UK and other countries outside the US follow PEJMDAS? If so, why would TI create the 30X Pro MathPrint with PEDMAS for countries outside the US?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2023, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2023 09:46 AM by EdS2.)
RE: TI-36X Pro, 30X Pro, and PEDMAS
This isn't answering your question, but I remember no kind of mnemonic from my days at school in the UK. I had no difficulty with arithmetic (or maths in general) - in some way or another, it was just made clear how to proceed. (Of course, one would not be challenged with ambiguous presentations, as one now sees in viral social media posts.)

Later, in undergraduate mathematics, I came across the idea of a Well Formed Formula, which encapsulates the idea that it's only worthwhile to deal with things which make sense. (Much much earlier, before I could read, I had the idea that any sequence of letters would form a word. It wasn't difficult or traumatic to be corrected!)

I did find this on the internet:
Quote:BODMAS, BIDMAS and PEMDAS are correct and used in different areas of the world. BODMAS and BIDMAS is common in the UK while PEMDAS is used in the US. BODMAS stands for Brackets, Order, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

Edit: you refer to your previous post, but I've been unable to find which one you might mean.
08-06-2023, 10:25 AM
EdS2, no problem. You got the gist of what I’m asking.
08-06-2023, 10:35 AM
I believe this is the previous post Matt was referring to.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-89...l#pid78581
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2023, 10:40 AM
(08-06-2023 10:35 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I believe this is the previous post Matt was referring to.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-89...l#pid78581

That’s the one!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)