TI 36X Pro: The Next Generation?
11-05-2022, 03:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 04:01 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
TI 36X Pro: The Next Generation?
With all the responses to my Casio & Sharp questions, I got to thinking. So, there are numerous other Sharp & Casio advanced models, and upgrades from previous models. So, to keep up with the competition, why hasn’t there been an updated or upgraded model as a successor to the 36X Pro?

Or, does TI have something up its sleeve as an upgrade from the 36X Pro?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2022, 05:25 AM
RE: TI 36X Pro: The Next Generation?
The TI-30X Pro Mathprint appears to be a successor to the TI-36 Pro. It has a higher resolution display (64*192 vs 31*96) and is reported to be faster than the TI-36 Pro. The only issue is that it doesn't appear to be readily available to the U.S. market at a reasonable price. Here is more information on the TI-30X Pro Mathprint including a link to the English manual.

http://www.datamath.org/Sci/Modern/TI-30X-PROMP.htm

[attachment=11353]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2022, 05:41 AM
Here is a brief review of the TI-30X Pro MathPrint from an Amazon purchaser.

“European Model of the US TI 36X Pro
Reviewed in the United States ?? on August 28, 2022

I owned the TI 36X Pro for many years but was not a huge fan of it because it looks like it belongs in the hands of kids going through primary school. The silver keys ( X / - + ) are also a big minus. The display looks a bit clunky but for $20.00 what does one expect. Looks are deceiving though. The calculator is powerful in the right hands.

The TI 30X Pro Math Print definitely has better looks. The silver keys are gone and the results are simplified in exact instead of approximate answers. It also has a faster chip which returns results faster than the 36X Pro depending on the complexity of the problem. The display is crisper in that the characters don’t look pixelated.

The one con I find in the TI 30X Pro is that the keys seem a bit mushy compared the the 36X Pro. The 36X Pro seems a bit crisper and I don’t find myself having to input a number twice. But overall the TI 30X Pro has the same functionality as the TI 36X Pro.

For the money, I would stick the the TI 36X Pro unless you just hate how it looks. But personally I wouldn’t spend the extra money for the 30X Pro (it’s double the money) and pay for overseas shipping. If you’re looking for something comparable to the TI 36X Pro in the US than I would consider the Casio FX-991ex.
It has a nicer display and will simplify in exact answers. It’s also cheaper than the 36X Pro.”
11-05-2022, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 09:38 PM by trojdor.)
I've got 3 of the new 30x pro Mathprint, and I'd have to agree with everything Steve noted in the review. The Solar part is much bigger, and I'd assume more efficient. (Although I don't have any trouble with the old 36x eating batteries.)
It is easier to read...both the keys, and the display.

The biggest updates for me:
1. It's MUCH faster on things like the Numeric Solver....along the lines of the 991ex speed.
2. It shows more answers in exact mode...again more along the lines of the 991ex.
3. The sharper display holds more information per screen.

The biggest downsides for me:
1. Mushy buttons on my #1 30x Mathprint makes me miss entering some keys, especially if I'm going fast. The zero key is especially problematic. I don't know if it's the rectangular shape verses the oval shape of the 36x's, but the keys 'rock' more.
(Note that #2 30x pro keyboard works noticibly better. QC?)
2. I suspect it's just me, but for whatever reason, I have trouble holding onto the 30x pro. I don't know why, but I never have trouble holding the old 36x securely. I've dropped the 30x a couple of times already.
3. This is minor, but things like the numeric solver require a few more keystrokes to complete. It's nice to have the added start-stop range option, and some of the other things they've added, but I do miss the direct minimalist approach of the original 36x.

I got mine on Amazon for about $40. Didn't seem that expensive to me.
With phones selling for over $1000, a $40 scientific calculator seems like a great deal....and a definite upgrade from the 36x.

Edit - I do think it's more than a little confusing to use a lower model number "30x" to denote a replacement/update for the "36x". My opinion is, that they wanted to qualify for the NCEES (and others) approved calculator list which already mentions the "30x" label. (referring to the older, lower capabilities 30x multiview)

ENTER > =
11-05-2022, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 10:00 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
Thanks, Trojdor & Steve. It looks like I’m on the right track. Having already (years ago) bought the 36X Pro.

My only downside to the 36X Pro, it seems that to replace the battery(ies), screws and the rear plastic casing need to be removed. In addition, since the innards are exposed, I better have nimble and delicate hand motions so that I don’t harm the circuitry. Unless I’m mistaken about disassembling the 36X Pro just to remove the battery, please correct me.

Unless battery replacement is not as delicate but easier than it seems, I’d be better off buying a new 36X Pro just to have a new battery. What do you think?
11-05-2022, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 11:01 PM by trojdor.)
Matt,
You are correct in that you must remove the four screws from the back of the 36x to replace the battery. However, unless you're by nature a "bull in a china shop", it's really not that hard or difficult to do. Just go slow, and pay attention. Smile

Note that the 30x ALSO requires you remove the back to replace the batteries.

Also note, however;
The 30x has TWO 2032 batteries, while the 36x has just one.
Combined with the bigger/better solar panel, I would not be surprised to see the 30x have a longer battery life. (just a guess)

ENTER > =
11-05-2022, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022 11:37 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(11-05-2022 10:59 PM)trojdor Wrote:  Matt,
You are correct in that you must remove the four screws from the back of the 36x to replace the battery. However, unless you're by nature a "bull in a china shop", it's really not that hard or difficult to do. Just go slow, and pay attention. Smile

Note that the 30x ALSO requires you remove the back to replace the batteries.

Also note, however;
The 30x has TWO 2032 batteries, while the 36x has just one.
Combined with the bigger/better solar panel, I would not be surprised to see the 30x have a longer battery life. (just a guess)

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.

MORE

Unless mine is an earlier model, I'm seeing six screws in billiard table arrangement.
11-06-2022, 02:31 AM
Sorry, yes. The 30x has 4 screws. The 36x has 6.
(Plus the battery retainer(s) inside)

ENTER > =
11-06-2022, 03:16 AM
One thing I appreciate about the TI-30x Pro (and I think the TI-36x Pro, though I don't have one) compared with the Casio Fx-991ex is that built-in constants and conversions have units, symbols and descriptions. It's a good use of the display.
11-06-2022, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2022 03:34 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
Here is a link that has online JavaScript emulators for a number of TI calculators including the TI-36X Pro (aka TI-30X Pro MultiView). This link is courtesy of ijabbott (Thanks Ian!).

https://web.archive.org/web/201612141950...github.io/
11-06-2022, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2022 07:04 PM by ijabbott.)
(11-05-2022 09:26 PM)trojdor Wrote:  Edit - I do think it's more than a little confusing to use a lower model number "30x" to denote a replacement/update for the "36x". My opinion is, that they wanted to qualify for the NCEES (and others) approved calculator list which already mentions the "30x" label. (referring to the older, lower capabilities 30x multiview)

The TI-36X Pro (in North America) and the TI-30X Pro MultiView (in Europe) are basically the same calculator by different names. Since the upgraded TI-30X Pro MathPrint is only sold in Europe, it would be strange if they renumbered it as a 36. Perhaps if TI get around to launching the model in North America, they would call it the TI-36X Pro MathPrint or something similar in that market.

— Ian Abbott
11-09-2022, 01:38 PM
I think the next step for the TI-30X ProPrint/TI-36X Pro series is to add either functional graphing or basic programming. A solar graphing/programming calculator has always being a dream calculator of mine.
11-09-2022, 02:15 PM
(11-09-2022 01:38 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I think the next step for the TI-30X ProPrint/TI-36X Pro series is to add either functional graphing or basic programming. A solar graphing/programming calculator has always being a dream calculator of mine.

... and QR code + a camera for sharing programs and data and bluetooth connecting to a phone and share/load programs via/from internet or phone.

Running programs in background.

Included ABC (altimeter-barometer-compass) sensors + light sensor for visible and UV light+ standard I2C connector for data collection.

etc...

Cs.
11-09-2022, 08:39 PM
(11-06-2022 07:03 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(11-05-2022 09:26 PM)trojdor Wrote:  Edit - I do think it's more than a little confusing to use a lower model number "30x" to denote a replacement/update for the "36x". My opinion is, that they wanted to qualify for the NCEES (and others) approved calculator list which already mentions the "30x" label. (referring to the older, lower capabilities 30x multiview)

The TI-36X Pro (in North America) and the TI-30X Pro MultiView (in Europe) are basically the same calculator by different names. Since the upgraded TI-30X Pro MathPrint is only sold in Europe, it would be strange if they renumbered it as a 36. Perhaps if TI get around to launching the model in North America, they would call it the TI-36X Pro MathPrint or something similar in that market.

The 30X MathPrint has the ability for f(x), g(x), f(g(x)), and g(f(x)) in tables. The 36X only has one function, f(x) for tables. Or is there a way to create and use similar functionalities on the 36X Pro?
11-10-2022, 06:32 AM
(11-09-2022 08:39 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  f(x), g(x), f(g(x)), and g(f(x)) in tables. The 36X only has one function, f(x) for tables. Or is there a way to create and use similar functionalities on the 36X Pro?

Not ONLY in TABLEs, frankly speaking on TI has no TABLE. TABLE is a CASIO stuff. If you want similar on TI, use Data Editor with L1, L2, L3 lists (means no cell-like addressing only list (eg L2=L1+3), but ALL mathematical functions are available).

If you want something similar on older model, use f() definition + do g() on normal calculation screen or use Numerical Solver. Eg:

On new model:
f(x)=exp(-x^2)
g(x)=d/d(f(x),x=a)
In Num Solv: g(x)=0 and Solve for a

On older model:
f(x)=exp(-x^2)
In Num Solv: d/dx(f(x),x=a)=0 and Solve for a

Of course the
d/dx(f(x),x=a)=0 and Solve for a
is works on newer model also, and you can use g() for other task.

Check this video:

Cs.
11-12-2022, 12:12 AM
(11-05-2022 03:58 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  With all the responses to my Casio & Sharp questions, I got to thinking. So, there are numerous other Sharp & Casio advanced models, and upgrades from previous models. So, to keep up with the competition, why hasn’t there been an updated or upgraded model as a successor to the 36X Pro?

Or, does TI have something up its sleeve as an upgrade from the 36X Pro?

If I had a wish list for TI to upgrade from the 36X Pro, which is a pretty handy device absent the silver keys, I would want it to contain a few financial functions like TVM. Why more companies don't do this (a la HP27s) surprises me. Maybe it's so they can sell separate models, but if they're present in high end calculators such as the Prime and assorted other graphing calculators -- stick them onto a high end non-graphing calculator as well, surely?
11-12-2022, 08:33 AM
very nice site with a lot of videos, you can find there also comparison with Casio and Sharp calculators
Comparison TI-30X Pro MathPrint vs TI-36X Pro
comparison
11-12-2022, 06:53 PM
(11-12-2022 12:12 AM)JimP Wrote:  If I had a wish list for TI to upgrade from the 36X Pro, which is a pretty handy device absent the silver keys

I rubbed a black crayon over the keys. It filled in the symbols. I then rubbed the small amount of excess off the surface. Now the keys are very readable! I don't know how long it will last before I have to apply the crayon again but it's a simple process so it's not too much trouble.

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-12-2022, 09:45 PM
(11-10-2022 06:32 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(11-09-2022 08:39 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  f(x), g(x), f(g(x)), and g(f(x)) in tables. The 36X only has one function, f(x) for tables. Or is there a way to create and use similar functionalities on the 36X Pro?

Not ONLY in TABLEs, frankly speaking on TI has no TABLE. TABLE is a CASIO stuff. If you want similar on TI, use Data Editor with L1, L2, L3 lists (means no cell-like addressing only list (eg L2=L1+3), but ALL mathematical functions are available).

If you want something similar on older model, use f() definition + do g() on normal calculation screen or use Numerical Solver. Eg:

On new model:
f(x)=exp(-x^2)
g(x)=d/d(f(x),x=a)

On older model:
f(x)=exp(-x^2)

Of course the

Check this video:

Cs.

I’m not sure I follow.

Where am I defining g(x) or f(g(x)) on the 36X Pro?
11-12-2022, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2022 12:15 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(11-10-2022 06:32 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  

On new model:
f(x)=exp(-x^2)
g(x)=d/d(f(x),x=a)

On older model:
f(x)=exp(-x^2)

Of course the

Check this video:

Cs.

Good video. Two issues. The guy is going 100 miles an hour and I can’t follow.
Even at full screen on my 10.5” iPad Pro, the 30X and the whiteboard writing are too small.

Could someone just write out the steps for the 36X Pro, please? Is this calculating maxima/minima? If not, what is f(x)=exp(-x^2)

calculating?

Thank you.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)