Dumping Sharp PC-1500 ROM modules
11-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Dumping Sharp PC-1500 ROM modules
I mentioned in another thread recently about dumping a couple of Sharp PC-1500 ROM modules. I have uploaded the preliminary results to GitHib. The raw files, the files converted to source/text (BASIC) and some notes are included.

PC-1500 ROM Modules

I will be putting together a bit more information about how the process works and making a video. One of the modules has four banks and uses a couple of flip-flops to switch banks. This is done to fit a 64K BASIC program into a 16K ROM address space.

It might be interesting to upload the program from the Pygmy module to the PC-1500 as text (tokenized on the fly by PC-1500). This can't be done with the banked cart though Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2022, 07:57 PM
RE: Dumping Sharp PC-1500 ROM modules
Jeff,

Thanks for posting the dump of the modules.

Back in 2006, I had a PC-1500 that had a couple of HVAC modules:

Lennox Logic Residential Savings and Loads
Rheem Module.

I had no way to dump them so I ended up selling them.

I seem to remember that the Lennox module was an external one that plugged into the side port. It didn't plug into the rear of the PC in the usual muddle location.

On the modules you have, do they plug into the module port on the rear?

Looking at your dumps, the Pygmy Unknown is Rheem Heat Master, Copyright 1983. I wonder if it was the same one I had many years ago.

The Logic Jr II has the name Don Sleeth, Kingston, Ont. I did a search and came up with his web-site HVAC Computer Systems Ltd. Looks like still in business only now selling Windows versions.

HVAC Computer Systems Ltd

He has a page which list the many variations of his programs including ones for many HVAC manuafacturers for the Pocket PC:

Software History List

I'll try loading your dumps into the Android PC-1500 emulator and see if I can make it run.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
11-04-2022, 09:52 PM
I did not realize that the Rheem Heat Master was the name of the package. I thought perhaps it was model number. Line 7000 might be the main entry point with RUN "HD"...but no, line 11000 has a GOSUB 'HD'. It is a very odd layout for a program. Thanks for pointing out the name.

Both these are ROM modules that plug into the 40-pin connector on the back. As you mentioned there was also modules that plugged into the 60-pin connector on the side. This provided for a few more signals and of course there was not the size constraint you had with the tiny 40-pin module.
11-04-2022, 11:12 PM
I reached out to Don Sleeth to see if he had an interest in reminiscing about his experience developing for the PC-1500 during that time period. Hopefully it will work out.
11-06-2022, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2022 12:27 AM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
Jeff,

I was able to get the Rheem program loaded into the Android go1500 emulator. At first I was running the program at it's maximum emulation speed, but I found that must be some sort of timing issue when using the emulated print/plotter. It just wasn't printing everything correctly. But when I slowed it down to 2X emulation, it ran fine.

I spent a little time figuring what the input should be. To run it,

Start with DEF S This will initialize the variables
Then do DEF D This will ask for some design parameters:
Winter Design Temp ?
Winter Inside Temp ?
Summer Design Temp ?
Summer Inside Temp ?

Then finally do DEF H This is the main program which will ask for Room Areas, walls, windows, doors, etc.

When done there's a printout of the results.
I did one room:

Here's a dropbox link (which won't be there forever!!) to the printout:

Rheem Printout

Very interesting program.

Rheem didn't include and Peeks/Pokes or other special stuff. So was pretty straightforward.

The other program will be more difficult to get running in an emulator.
Not enough time to spend on it at present.

I'm hoping you'll hear back from Don Sleeth.
Since these are such out-of-date programs, maybe he could give us copies of the manuals.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
11-06-2022, 01:28 PM
(11-06-2022 12:24 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I'm hoping you'll hear back from Don Sleeth.
Since these are such out-of-date programs, maybe he could give us copies of the manuals.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

Bill, Thanks so much! Would it be OK to include your directions above with the notes on Github? I will of course credit you for them. Can the emulator handle a ROM dump with a CE-158/CE-150 header attached? For the Rheem module I stripped the header and first 8K of blank space since it was wired as an 8K module but dumped as a 16K. I can strip the first 27 bytes (CE-158 header) off the files off for the LOGIC jr II module files if needed.

The LOGIC jr II program seems to be menu driven. I was able to type run and navigate though it although I know very little about HVAC engineering so my answers to the prompts were in all likelihood nonsensical.

I do hope to hear back from Don Sleeth as well. It would be nice to be able to document the development process that was used for pocket computers back in the day.
11-06-2022, 04:13 PM
Jeff,

No Problem. Feel free to use.

I would like to see the Reserve Area.

Maybe put the PC in Reserve mode, then do a CSAVE to save the Reserve area to a WAV file. Send me the wave file and then I could just reload it.

Note: The program does a LOCK command, so you need to issue a UNLOCK command to get into other modes.

Have you tried doing a CSAVE M to save the entire module to a wav file?
Then it should be possible to CLOAD M back to a new module.

Are you using a Sharp PC-1500 or PC-1500A. Memory map is different between the two.

This is kinda fun. Figuring out how it works.

I'll send you a message with my email address.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)