Are Sparcom card still relevant?
10-29-2022, 11:49 AM
Are Sparcom card still relevant?
Just curious, are they still relevant for use? eBay prices just seem outrageous. Are people actually paying that money for them? I see them more as a novelty item, but maybe some use them.

I have one that came with a GX I purchased, EE Pro. Definitely would like the manual for it though.

Join the HP 48 Facebook Group!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2022, 12:57 PM
RE: Are Sparcom card still relevant?
What about that manual here?
https://literature.hpcalc.org/items/1396
10-29-2022, 01:37 PM
That manual is for older, non-Pro version of the EE Pac.

In general the "XX Pac" series of Sparcom's cards were intended for the 48SX machines (e.g. EE Ref. Pac, ME Pac, Physics Pac), while the "XX Pro" cards were for the 48GX models.

For some of the cards, the difference between the non-Pro and Pro versions is not great, while quite different for others.

Also, I have read that some of the earlier cards have problems working in GX machines, but the few that I've dabbled with seemed OK for the small amount I explored.

Generally speaking, these cards are as useful today as in the 90's, though there are of course likely better tools available today.

Most of these today are bought by collectors, rather than as primary use tools by engineers and scientists, The ridiculous prices for these cards on eBay are generally due to excessive greed by a handful of sellers, and most that you see in new listings are simply re-listings of the same few cards over and over again because most sensible people will not pay such exorbitant prices.

--Bob Prosperi
10-29-2022, 04:36 PM
OK Bob,
Page 6 refers to operate the card in the GX or the SX. To use it in port 1 of the GX due to known issues using it in port 2.
So I thought it could be of some help.
Andi
10-29-2022, 06:50 PM
(10-29-2022 04:36 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  OK Bob,
Page 6 refers to operate the card in the GX or the SX. To use it in port 1 of the GX due to known issues using it in port 2.
So I thought it could be of some help.
Andi

Good news, so the OP has a card that is compatible (at least in P1) but in addition, this is a later manual that knows that. What's misleading is the manual has a copyright date of 1991, and the GX didn't come out until mid-93, so at least the title page of the manual wasn't updated. Didn't mean to come off as dismissing your post, in fact it's quite helpful. Smile

My reply was really aimed at answering broader questions about the Sparcom Cards, as future readers will see the title and look at the posts for answers.

--Bob Prosperi
10-30-2022, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. Glad to know that the card is for an SX at least (primarily). That's actually what I have it in right now.

Join the HP 48 Facebook Group!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)