Thinking of acquiring new Sharp (gasp!!) model
10-26-2022, 04:53 PM
Thinking of acquiring new Sharp (gasp!!) model
Hi all.

I found out there's a new scientific Sharp model, the EL-W535TGBBL. It does operate with WriteView™ and with a 4-line display.

How does it compare with Casio's 991-ES, TI-36X Pro, Sharp's earlier top-of-the-line 535? correct me if I'm wrong about the earlier Sharp model. What are your thoughts about it?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2022, 06:08 PM
RE: Thinking of acquiring new Sharp (gasp!!) model
It's alright, but I think the EL-W516 models have more functions. I'd recommend looking for one of the older versions of the 516 that has F1, F2, F3, F4 functions on the arrow keys, as these ones let you save a few formulas in memory. Personally, I haven't really found anything that the Sharps do particularly better than the competing Casio and TI models. Unless you really need that weird "pental" mode that Sharp supports. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-26-2022, 06:57 PM
(10-26-2022 06:08 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  It's alright, but I think the EL-W516 models have more functions. I'd recommend looking for one of the older versions of the 516 that has F1, F2, F3, F4 functions on the arrow keys, as these ones let you save a few formulas in memory. Personally, I haven't really found anything that the Sharps do particularly better than the competing Casio and TI models. Unless you really need that weird "pental" mode that Sharp supports. Smile

Okay. Although I have the 53x model (535? or is it 536?), I think I’ll wait for the next gen 53x.
10-27-2022, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2022 04:58 PM by bbergman.)
The 991EX (not ES) has one feature that I think is brilliant, and I haven't seen it on any other models just yet. If you want to solve an equation (arbitrarily hard; no limit) or graph a function, you can press one button and the calc generates a QR code on the screen. You scan that with your phone or tablet, and it takes you to a web page with the full solution or graph.

I still feel that the 991EX is my favorite non-HP model out there. Truly a workhorse for a non-graphing calc.

For example, taking the example from the Sharp calc display above, the 991EX generates a QR code which then takes you to this page, to view the result:

https://classpad.net/note/#/tools/math?q...311BD0A934

That was a poor example, but here's a good video on how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QRGjrjU6oM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)