Comparing button pressure between various HP calculators & DM15L
10-18-2022, 02:28 PM
Comparing button pressure between various HP calculators & DM15L
The required pressure it takes to operate a calculator is very personal. It is hard to quantify the feel between the various models, but I thought I would use a very rudimentary method (very unscientific though) to compare some models I have in my possession. it is a very repeatable method in which other users can also post their results.

METHOD: Take a simple dial scale (not digital, I tried but the numbers change too fast), place the calculator center on the base, and zero the weight. Then I placed a flat-tipped pen on the center key and very slowly pressed down till the button clicked or I heard a sound from the calculator. That weight is recorded.

HP Prime: 100g
HP50G: 175-190g
HP35s: 175-185g
HP12C (1988): 175-185g
*DM15L: 300-350g (Enter key 200g) (Brand new, 1 day old)
HP10B+II: 175-200g

I hope this helps new users to compare and get insight into the differences. Note, it is not scientific, and I don’t have a penetrometer so I can do more accurate measurements on each key.
I think the big takeaway is the pressure required to press the DM15L.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Perfection is not when you cannot add more, but when you cannot take anything away.
hp12c (88), HP50G, hpb10II+, hp35S, Prime, DM15L
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2022, 03:27 PM
RE: Comparing button pressure between various HP calculators & DM15L
I've taken a very similar approach using my wife's digital-scale measuring cup with a calculator laying over the top. Smile That one has reasonably fast updates to the read-out, but not so fast that I couldn't read the numbers.

And I've observed results similar to yours: SM calcs tend to require quite a bit more force than HPs, and the force from key to key is much less consistent.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-19-2022, 07:36 AM
I think I vaguely recall that Swiss Micros' keyboards will wear-in during initial use, in which case a brand-new item might need a higher force than a well-used one. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2022, 11:45 AM
(10-19-2022 07:36 AM)EdS2 Wrote:  I think I vaguely recall that Swiss Micros' keyboards will wear-in during initial use, in which case a brand-new item might need a higher force than a well-used one. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

I suspect that it's a combination of wishful thinking and acclimation. I haven't noticed any significant changes in mine that I've owned (and used) for a few years. You can open up the calculator and slightly over-flex the keys a bit to loosen up the springs/legs, but I don't really recommend doing this, as I've had a number of the plastic legs in my DM42 break even without it. I've had to epoxy at least 3 or 4 broken legs in mine. Not too difficult if only one leg on a key is broken, but if both break, good luck getting the key glued in the proper position...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)