HP 46084A and 46082 HP-HIL modules - Whatsit?
10-13-2023, 11:26 PM
HP 46084A and 46082 HP-HIL modules - Whatsit?
I picked these two modules from the HHC 2023 door prize table because I had no idea what they are. After a bit of research, I still do not have a good idea. I gather the 46082 is uses in pairs to extend some sort of keyboard/audio connection. While there seems to be scads of them on fleaBay there does not seem to be any information as to what the 'Sam Heck' they are.

Ideas? Guesses?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2023, 02:39 AM
RE: HP 46084A and 46082 HP-HIL modules - Whatsit?
This GitHub repo https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/HP-HIL says the 46084A is a software dongle.
10-14-2023, 01:14 PM
It's a security ID dongle for workstations. I found this description in the June 1987 HP Journal:

HP-HIL Security ID Module, HP 46084A. The ID Module allows users to run secured application software. It returns an identification number for identifying the computer user and is used in application programs to control access to program functions, data bases, and networks.

One of the most frustrating naming conventions HP chose is HP-HIL, for Human Interface Link while simultaneously also using HP-IL for Interface Loop, which have literally nothing to do with each other.

--Bob Prosperi
10-14-2023, 02:43 PM
Thanks! The reason I picked them was because I had no idea what they were. It is always fun to learn something new and thanks to you guys pointing me toward the info I have been able to do so. As these seem to be abundant and not expensive, I think a teardown to see what is inside is in order.

Bob, I agree with you about the naming convention. Looking at the connectors used I assumed it was not HP-IL related which added more to the mystery.
10-15-2023, 08:25 AM
You can find more information and pictures of such modules at bitsavers:

bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/hp-hil/

Martin
10-16-2023, 04:26 PM
(10-14-2023 01:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One of the most frustrating naming conventions HP chose is HP-HIL, for Human Interface Link while simultaneously also using HP-IL for Interface Loop, which have literally nothing to do with each other.

Indeed, for a while I was using HP-IL and HP-HIL at the same time, and for a while I just assumed that HP-HIL was just a custom HP-IL protocol. Not that it mattered, but I was wrong. 8^)
10-17-2023, 01:21 AM
(10-16-2023 04:26 PM)KeithB Wrote:  
(10-14-2023 01:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One of the most frustrating naming conventions HP chose is HP-HIL, for Human Interface Link while simultaneously also using HP-IL for Interface Loop, which have literally nothing to do with each other.
Indeed, for a while I was using HP-IL and HP-HIL at the same time, and for a while I just assumed that HP-HIL was just a custom HP-IL protocol. Not that it mattered, but I was wrong. 8^)
Actually, when you look on how the human interface loop works, you can see that the designers took severals ideas from the interface loop.

Best regards, Sylvain
10-17-2023, 12:14 PM
(10-17-2023 01:21 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 04:26 PM)KeithB Wrote:  Indeed, for a while I was using HP-IL and HP-HIL at the same time, and for a while I just assumed that HP-HIL was just a custom HP-IL protocol. Not that it mattered, but I was wrong. 8^)
Actually, when you look on how the human interface loop works, you can see that the designers took severals ideas from the interface loop.

Engineers steal technical ideas all the time, especially from within the same company, where it's called efficient design.

When marketing folks do so however, it's called customer confusion...

--Bob Prosperi
11-05-2023, 07:42 AM
(10-14-2023 02:43 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  Thanks! The reason I picked them was because I had no idea what they were. It is always fun to learn something new and thanks to you guys pointing me toward the info I have been able to do so. As these seem to be abundant and not expensive, I think a teardown to see what is inside is in order.

Bob, I agree with you about the naming convention. Looking at the connectors used I assumed it was not HP-IL related which added more to the mystery.

Hi Jeff,
I placed both modules on the HHC-2023 prize table and I jumped into the same trap several years ago, when I was bidding on Ebay too quickly without knowing yet the difference between HP-IL and HIL. I thought to give them away this year and someone may have an older system running where the modules could be useful...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)