Question about the HP70
10-06-2022, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 01:55 PM by aurelio.)
Question about the HP70
Quite sure there is already an answer to this question, and sure I missed it...
if the HP70 has been if I am not wrong the low cost financial calculator, alternative proposed by HP to the HP80, I'm wondering, what is the hardware aspect which made the difference, at that time, between the two products

Why dispite the cheaper cost were sold (and perhaps produced) more HP80s than HP70s, which,mostly for this reason, the latter is a rare product to find for collectors?

Edit: few typos
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2022, 02:29 PM
RE: Question about the HP70
I found perhaps the answer here, especially for the second question. Then, as now, if you really do not have immediate need, wait, that there is already ready a more efficient and less expensive solution ... Smile
10-06-2022, 02:42 PM
The low-end models of HP's lineup (of multiple models available within a type) at any given time, have generally never sold well, take as examples the 70, 10A, 10C, 22S, 14B, 48S, etc. A notable exception is the 10B which appears (based on eBay listings) to have far outsold the 17B, 19B, etc. also available at the time, but this is somewhat skewed because the 10 was available for a year before, and more than a year after these other models in the lineup at roughly the same time.

Another way to ask this is why would people choosing to buy a premium-class product, then choose the cheapest/lowest featured one available among that premium-class product line? Though HP did not tend to plan this way, many companies introduce a low-end model simply to provide better optics on the value of the higher-cost (and higher margin) products in the same family. I guess it's the same reason the lowest price Cadillac/BMW/Mercedes is never the best selling model. If you're going to go for the good ones, then get a really good one!

As for h/w, I assume the smaller set of features in the 70 did not dramatically lower the ROM size, certainly not as much as the commensurate difference in price, so HP was using value-based pricing, not simple markup above mfg. cost costs.

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2022, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 02:45 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
And here you can find the differences between the two.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2022, 02:47 PM
(10-06-2022 02:45 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And here you can find the differences between the two.

Thanks Massimo, this taught me that the 70 has storage arithmetic! If I ever knew this, it has been long forgotten, so thanks for the nice reminder! Smile

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2022, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 04:34 PM by aurelio.)
Thankypu Bob and Massimo for your kind and exaustive assitance.
You made me everything clear

When I wrote "if you really do not have immediate need, wait, that there is already ready a more efficient and less expensive solution ... " I meant the HP22 Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)