Casio fx-991CW
10-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Casio fx-991CW
Looks like Casio has an update to their ClassWiz model in the works:

https://www.casio.com/intl/scientific-ca....FX-991CW/

The two biggest changes seem to be the use of a greyscale screen, and the vastly reworked keyboard layout. I'm not sure how I feel about the keyboard layout - moving degrees/minutes/seconds input to a shifted function bothers me a bit. And I don't see the traditional Casio "ENG" key, meaning you probably have to turn engineering format on and off in a menu. The spreadsheet appears to be the same underpowered one used in the fx-991EX.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2022, 07:35 AM
RE: Casio fx-991CW
(10-04-2022 10:02 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Looks like Casio has an update to their ClassWiz model in the works:

https://www.casio.com/intl/scientific-ca....FX-991CW/

The two biggest changes seem to be the use of a greyscale screen, and the vastly reworked keyboard layout. I'm not sure how I feel about the keyboard layout - moving degrees/minutes/seconds input to a shifted function bothers me a bit. And I don't see the traditional Casio "ENG" key, meaning you probably have to turn engineering format on and off in a menu. The spreadsheet appears to be the same underpowered one used in the fx-991EX.

Making '(-)' a shifted function seems even more surprising. I wonder if the manual can be downloaded yet?

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2022, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2022 11:39 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this Dave!
I really like my fx-991EX ClassWiz model so I was excited to see this possible newer replacement.

Quick first impressions:
I like the four-level LCD.
I don’t much care for the keyboard layout or round keys.
This model trades a simplified keyboard for a *lot* of menus.
I was excited at first by the two formulas you could define (almost formula programmability) until I found out they were deleted when you pressed the On button.

Here is the User Guide (English).
https://support.casio.com/storage/en/man...1CW_EN.pdf
10-05-2022, 11:34 AM
This link has more information on the Casio fx-991CW. Be sure to expand each section for details.
https://edu.casio.com/products/cwiz/fx991cw/

From the links at the bottom.
The following page has short How-To videos that cover some operations on their graphing and ClassWiz models (expand the section you are interested in).
https://edu.casio.com/forteachers/er/movie/howto.php

This page has longer Teaching videos for the ClassWiz series.
https://edu.casio.com/forteachers/er/movie/teaching.php
10-05-2022, 11:41 AM
(10-05-2022 07:35 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  Making '(-)' a shifted function seems even more surprising. I wonder if the manual can be downloaded yet?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. Gross! I think I'll be waiting for a really deep back-to-school discount on this one. Smile
10-05-2022, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2022 05:10 PM by ijabbott.)
(10-05-2022 11:41 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(10-05-2022 07:35 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  Making '(-)' a shifted function seems even more surprising. I wonder if the manual can be downloaded yet?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. Gross! I think I'll be waiting for a really deep back-to-school discount on this one. Smile

I'll have to read the manual. Perhaps they've done something reasonable like allowing '-' to behave as a unary minus where required, except when used at the beginning of input (when it would insert 'Ans' before the '-' to continue the previous calculation).

— Ian Abbott
10-05-2022, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2022 05:26 PM by ijabbott.)
They've also removed the 'S<>D' button that was useful for toggling results between symbolic and decimal format. Now you have to go through the 'FORMAT' menu to convert the result to a different format, or use 'SHIFT' 'EXE' ('≈') to convert to decimal.

— Ian Abbott
10-05-2022, 05:43 PM
(10-05-2022 05:09 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(10-05-2022 11:41 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. Gross! I think I'll be waiting for a really deep back-to-school discount on this one. Smile

I'll have to read the manual. Perhaps they've done something reasonable like allowing '-' to behave as a unary minus where required, except when used at the beginning of input (when it would insert 'Ans' before the '-' to continue the previous calculation).

You might be right - I think a lot of Casios let you use the subtraction symbol for negative values too.
10-05-2022, 07:44 PM
The UG can be viewed as html or downloaded as pdf here
https://support.casio.com/global/en/calc...0CW_991CW/
10-06-2022, 08:40 PM
One difference I see in the manual is that if using line instead of MathPrint, when integrating and choosing a tolerance (epsilon), the EX must use a tolerance no smaller than 10^-14. The new edition states that a tolerance no smaller than 10^-22 must be used. Wonder if that would make the calculator better equipped to use a number closer to an undefined value as an endpoint in an integration than the EX. Also, perhaps this would allow more decimal results to be converted to fractions…
10-06-2022, 09:43 PM
It's hard to say for sure without trying it, but it sounds like the spreadsheet will now retain data when changing modes, and is only cleared when powering off or pressing the On key. That would certainly make it slightly more useful if true.
10-07-2022, 12:38 AM
Look at the manual briefly and saw new App under the name "Math Box"

The new app are " Dice Roll and Coin Toss " to teach probability.

Cool new features.

Gamo
10-07-2022, 01:03 AM
A quick look at the manual suggests that the Casio fx-991 CW retains all of the functions of the Casio fx-991EX Classwiz.

I think the polynomial solver gets extended to the 4th degree, simultaneous equations to 4 x 4, and matrices expanded up to 4 x 4. A catalog is added.
10-07-2022, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Casio fx-991EX Classwiz already has a 4th degree polynomial solver, 4 x 4 system of linear equations and 4 x 4 matrices. Overall I think the fx-991CW is nice but I don't understand why Casio does still not have a persistent calculation history. That has been a pretty standard feature for decades with competing scientific calculators, right?
10-07-2022, 03:42 PM
(10-07-2022 11:22 AM)Dyslexic-Referee Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that the Casio fx-991EX Classwiz already has a 4th degree polynomial solver, 4 x 4 system of linear equations and 4 x 4 matrices. Overall I think the fx-991CW is nice but I don't understand why Casio does still not have a persistent calculation history. That has been a pretty standard feature for decades with competing scientific calculators, right?

It's mostly because they design their calculators to suit exam/school requirements, and leave out a lot of useful features that would get them banned.
10-07-2022, 05:42 PM
There is a new button for storing 2 functions also and you can create a composite function - see page 62
Unfortunately the slide cover was removed
10-07-2022, 06:19 PM
(10-07-2022 03:42 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(10-07-2022 11:22 AM)Dyslexic-Referee Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that the Casio fx-991EX Classwiz already has a 4th degree polynomial solver, 4 x 4 system of linear equations and 4 x 4 matrices. Overall I think the fx-991CW is nice but I don't understand why Casio does still not have a persistent calculation history. That has been a pretty standard feature for decades with competing scientific calculators, right?

It's mostly because they design their calculators to suit exam/school requirements, and leave out a lot of useful features that would get them banned.

Don't the competing TI models have persistent memory? The TI-36X Pro and TI-30X Pro MathPrint keep their history when turned off and I don't think those are banned by schools. But yeah catering to exams is why lots of features are missing. I wonder how the HP 35s got away with being able to store formulas and being programmable and yet being allowed in many exams.
10-07-2022, 06:29 PM
(10-07-2022 06:19 PM)Dyslexic-Referee Wrote:  Don't the competing TI models have persistent memory? The TI-36X Pro and TI-30X Pro MathPrint keep their history when turned off and I don't think those are banned by schools. But yeah catering to exams is why lots of features are missing. I wonder how the HP 35s got away with being able to store formulas and being programmable and yet being allowed in many exams.

Yeah, the TIs do retain calculation history. I'm assuming it's less of a concern in the US, which is TI's primary market, while Casio tends to be a bigger deal outside the US, where a lot of their exam restrictions come from. Not sure what the 35S secret was to getting accepted!
11-02-2022, 01:00 PM
Check for CASIO fx-880BTG.
Same as fx-991CW + periodic table
English selectable (and Vietnamese)
Manual: https://support.casio.com/storage/en/man...BTG_EN.pdf
11-02-2022, 02:35 PM
(11-02-2022 01:00 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  Check for CASIO fx-880BTG.
Same as fx-991CW + periodic table
English selectable (and Vietnamese)
Manual: https://support.casio.com/storage/en/man...BTG_EN.pdf

Interesting, it's also got number line and unit circle tools in the Math Box mode.

Still haven't seen the CW available anywhere in the US yet.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)