Curious Marc repairs a vintage Sanyo calculator
10-04-2022, 03:14 AM
Curious Marc repairs a vintage Sanyo calculator
Nice old neon display Sanyo brought back to life. (And there's an interesting aside on doing arithmetic with circulating-bit storage registers.)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2022, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2022 05:16 PM by Mark.)
RE: Curious Marc repairs a vintage Sanyo calculator
Hi,

Thank you for this nice find, I had a good time watching this video. I love what CuriousMarc and the equally great folks around him (Ken Shirriff...) bring to us ! I own a Sanyo-badged ICC-82D machine and would like to add a few comments :

The 4 ICs actually have some General Instrument genes, since my calculator exhibits both "Sanyo" and the square-shaped GI logo on each of its ICs. That reminded me about the partnership between Sharp and Rockwell, which resulted in the QT-8D. Even Toshiba initially partnered with Texas Instruments...

Capacitors are much less exciting than integrated circuits, anyway Japanese capacitors from that era are truly amazing ; none of the devices I own (Sharp Compet-16, Casio 121...) have a single defective electrolytic capacitor. I wonder if NASA used them in the Voyager probes ? :-D

Besides the lovely case and very good documentation (IC schematics...) I also like the ability to securely AC-power the machine even with battery disconnected. That's what I call good engineering !

Best regards,
Marc

BTW : I'm a little bit surprised to be the first to put a comment ; are the ICC-81 / 82D so little known / rare items ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)