History of Tandy Pocket Computers
10-03-2022, 08:00 PM
History of Tandy Pocket Computers
Video of presentation I made at Tandy Assembly 2022 on the History of Tandy Pocket Computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hE_GLstWXI
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2022, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2022 08:09 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
RE: History of Tandy Pocket Computers
Great video.
(it would be interesting to see some programs running).

But you really ought to mention the Tandy TRS-80 computer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80
If only to warn potential buyers the postage may exceed expectations (it has a full size keyboard, unlike the TRS-80 in your video).

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2022, 12:18 PM
(10-03-2022 11:05 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  But you really ought to mention the Tandy TRS-80 computer.

The presentation was titles 'History of Tandy Pocket Computers' so the TRS-80 family of desktop computers was already excluded Smile

It would have been fun to show more programs running and even some programming but that would have made if 2x as long Smile
10-04-2022, 01:13 PM
Cool stuff! I've gained a much greater appreciation for the Sharp models in the past couple of years, after discovering how the use of labels and definable keys can compensate for the lack of separate program areas (and actually give you MORE flexibility than the 10 fixed program areas that Casio provided). Plus the Casio units make lousy calculators as they have no replay function to edit/correct your previous statement. Calculation error? Retype the expression! Sharps let you hit the up arrow to edit the previous expression when in run mode.

I know the PC-2/PC-1500 is a lot of people's favorite, but I'm not really an assembly guy, so I prefer a smaller unit with really good BASIC, and extremely long battery life. The PC-1261 hits that sweet spot for me, though I really like the (larger) PC-1360 as well. I'm also quite fond of the PC-1403H and PC-1421 (the financial version).
10-04-2022, 01:32 PM
Got the video queued up to watch later.

The only Tandy pocket computer I had back when they were new was the PC-4. I remember having bought a printer for it. Used it for a few programming tasks here and there. I also remember the power switch contacts would wear over time and render the unit useless.

A couple years ago I had a really nice Sharp PC-1500A and CE-150 plotter/cassette interface, all working. Pens were a bear to find and keep working for any time. I eventually sold it all off. I still have a bunch of programs on cassette.

I recently decided to jump back in. I have a working PC-1500 and an 8K memory card. I purchased another CE-150 but the internals were fairly well ruined by the leaky NiCd batteries (to the point I didn't want to bother with rebuilding traces and replacing components).

I'm currently waiting on a PC-2 and printer/cassette interface to arrive from eBay. Hoping I can revive this one. Not necessarily interested in the plotter as much as a cassette interface.

Side note: I have a nice, working Tandy 102 driving a dot matrix printer that I use to print eBay packing lists. And I'm currently listening to music on my Realistic STA-90 receiver.
10-04-2022, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2022 01:51 PM by Jeff_Birt.)
(10-04-2022 01:32 PM)Xorand Wrote:  I recently decided to jump back in. I have a working PC-1500 and an 8K memory card. I purchased another CE-150 but the internals were fairly well ruined by the leaky NiCd batteries (to the point I didn't want to bother with rebuilding traces and replacing components).

I'm currently waiting on a PC-2 and printer/cassette interface to arrive from eBay. Hoping I can revive this one. Not necessarily interested in the plotter as much as a cassette interface.

The NiCad battery mess is sometimes rather hard to spot externally. Sometimes on the Sharp version, the CE-158, the paint will start to peel up where the computer sits and discolor on the front. On the TRS-80 version it is painted black and hard to see any damage. Just fixed one which had some paint damage on the front but no damage inside. I have also had them look like Chernobyl inside.

The pinion gears are always broken, I do have new brass replacements available and a few extra sets of pens as well.

The PC-4 (Casio PB-100) is a great unit. A nice size and good keyboard. Have been working on a replacement for the very hard to find 1K RAM expansion modules. It seems the Tandy branded PC-4s (Casio PB-100F) may support more than 2K.
10-05-2022, 01:54 PM
I purchased a PC-1 Tandy Pocket Computer when it came out and still have it today.

But the display is dead. I see there are some LCD replacements on tindie.
Has anyone tried fixing the display?
10-05-2022, 02:41 PM
(10-05-2022 01:54 PM)agarza Wrote:  I purchased a PC-1 Tandy Pocket Computer when it came out and still have it today.

I see a few Youtube videos demonstrating the process (including one from Jeff). I haven't attempted it myself, but I've got spare screens for my Sharp PC-1211 and Tandy PC-3 ready and waiting if the screens in either should ever go bad. Amazingly they haven't yet...
10-05-2022, 03:45 PM
(10-05-2022 01:54 PM)agarza Wrote:  I purchased a PC-1 Tandy Pocket Computer when it came out and still have it today.

Ask and you shall receive Smile

10-07-2022, 04:47 PM

I did the change following the youtube video and it worked fine. I also changed the screen of a Tandy TRS PC-3 (Sharp PC 1251 clone). If I was able everybody is able because I’m the worst handyman I know.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
10-12-2022, 03:56 AM
(10-04-2022 01:50 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  The pinion gears are always broken, I do have new brass replacements available and a few extra sets of pens as well.

I got my Radio Shack PC-2 and printer/cassette interface today. I'm currently out camping but ran home to pick up the package. A quick disassembly shows that I lucked out on batteries. The positive terminal of the battery has just a little crust on it and the negative is clean. Should be able to build up a new battery pack and have this one running.

The printer mechanism looks to be a bit torn up (was noted in the eBay listing along with pictures), but the Sharp unit that I have on the bench with the crusty main board does have a nice printer.

I might be interested in a couple gears. Let me see what I have between the two printer mechanisms I have now (once I'm back home and can put everything on the bench for better inspection). The new RS plotter came with three pens in a tube (all but black), but they're all dried out.
10-12-2022, 12:54 PM
(10-12-2022 03:56 AM)Xorand Wrote:  I got my Radio Shack PC-2 and printer/cassette interface today. I'm currently out camping but ran home to pick up the package. A quick disassembly shows that I lucked out on batteries. The positive terminal of the battery has just a little crust on it and the negative is clean. Should be able to build up a new battery pack and have this one running.

That is good news. It is hard to tell externally what it will look like inside. I just did one that that NiCad vapor had eaten some of the black paint on the front edge, but it was clean inside. Perhaps it had been stored with that edge up (or down, not sure if NiCad 'vapor' is lighter or heavier than air.)

I have a few extra sets of good pens too, color sets and black sets. Send me a PM or email.
10-13-2022, 01:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2022 05:17 PM by Xorand.)
(10-12-2022 12:54 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  That is good news. It is hard to tell externally what it will look like inside. I just did one that that NiCad vapor had eaten some of the black paint on the front edge, but it was clean inside. Perhaps it had been stored with that edge up (or down, not sure if NiCad 'vapor' is lighter or heavier than air.)

I have a few extra sets of good pens too, color sets and black sets. Send me a PM or email.

I'll drop you a PM later.
10-17-2022, 12:37 PM
(10-03-2022 08:00 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  Video of presentation I made at Tandy Assembly 2022 on the History of Tandy Pocket Computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hE_GLstWXI

Thank you, I enjoyed the video.

I have a Tandy PC-4.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)