(PC-1211) Adding Machine Plus - PocketInfo Corp.
09-19-2022, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2022 09:52 PM by Dave Britten.)
(PC-1211) Adding Machine Plus - PocketInfo Corp.
I found this on ebay last week and knew I had to buy/archive it.

https://archive.org/details/adding-machi...-info-corp

I can find nearly no info about PocketInfo Corp. or any other software they released (save for maybe one or two mentions in magazines), so I don't really know what else they released besides this.

From the "Purpose of Program" intro in the manual:

Quote:The Adding Machine program has two major purposes:

1. Transforms your pocket computer into a four function printing calculator, showing amounts entered and the arithmetic operations used.

2. Adds the features needed for specific applications in science or business such as subtotals, and prose identification of each number entered.

The first function was added to most later Sharp pocket computers by way of toggling the print/non-print setting. The second set of features is a bit more unique, and allows tagging the individual numbers with 1-7-character names, or assigning names to the 7 subtotal registers.

The program is meant for use with the PC-1211, and benefits from the use of a CE-122 printer. It could be made to work with the PC-1250 and possibly other models with the addition of a "PRINT=LPRINT" line to redirect output to the printer.

The .bas file is a text listing of the program, and the .img, .tap, and .wav files can be loaded in your choice of emulator or real computer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2022, 08:02 AM
RE: (PC-1211) Adding Machine Plus - PocketInfo Corp.
Did you get a tape as well, or is the program itself lost?
I recently got a program manual for a 1248 program and in there it said that the unit had to be shipped back to the supplier to have the batteries changed as there was no tape. Similarly I had an FX603P that had been preprogrammed with a surveying program set, and the batteries had to be change din a certain order. The program was still in this unit, so I dumped it, or at least 9 out of 10 programs.

i also have an Olivetti LOGOS 80b which has an EAROM module, and there seems to be a program stored in it. I have printed the program as a record. Where can these sort s of programs be archived? Archive.org is th eobvious place, but they are copyrighted so I suppose they should just be lost?
Find all posts by this user
09-20-2022, 11:32 AM
Yup, I have the tape. Click the "Show All" link over in the "Download Options" list to see all the files. The .bas, .img, and .tap files contain a dump of the program, or you can grab the .zip which contains the original audio in .wav format.

Technically, programs like these are still copyrighted, but I would be extremely surprised if any of the original creators object to archiving them. This one is 40 years old - no way anybody is still making money from it. Smile I tried looking for information about PocketInfo Corp. (i.e. names of owners/employees), but came up empty-handed.
09-20-2022, 12:53 PM
Thanks for sharing, a very good find. I picked up a PC-1500 lot last year that had a homemade looking EPROM module that plugged in the RAM/ROM expansion socket. From a small company in Florida but like you I could turn up little about them. It is sad that so much about these companies has been lost to time.
09-20-2022, 01:21 PM
(09-20-2022 11:32 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yup, I have the tape. Click the "Show All" link over in the "Download Options" list to see all the files. The .bas, .img, and .tap files contain a dump of the program, or you can grab the .zip which contains the original audio in .wav format.

Well, I didn't know there could be extra files, i assumed that each entry was just one 'object' and that was what the download section related to. I wonder how much stuff I have missed?
09-20-2022, 01:22 PM
(09-20-2022 12:53 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  Thanks for sharing, a very good find. I picked up a PC-1500 lot last year that had a homemade looking EPROM module that plugged in the RAM/ROM expansion socket. From a small company in Florida but like you I could turn up little about them. It is sad that so much about these companies has been lost to time.

That sounds interesting. Do you have a photo?
09-20-2022, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 01:45 PM by Jeff_Birt.)
This link is to the part of the video covering this lot and skips to when I pull the module out:

As I recall I did find that company was still registered in Florida and I send them a letter (snail mail) but never heard back. I have not tried to read the EPROM yet. On my very long TODO list Smile
09-20-2022, 02:06 PM
(09-20-2022 01:21 PM)blackjetrock Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 11:32 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yup, I have the tape. Click the "Show All" link over in the "Download Options" list to see all the files. The .bas, .img, and .tap files contain a dump of the program, or you can grab the .zip which contains the original audio in .wav format.

Well, I didn't know there could be extra files, i assumed that each entry was just one 'object' and that was what the download section related to. I wonder how much stuff I have missed?

Yeah, archive.org's user interface isn't exactly the best for downloading files, but at least they have them. Smile

I have some other odds and ends I've uploaded, including many of the Radio Shack program tapes for the PC-1211/TRS-80 PC1, if you feel like looking at any of those too:

https://archive.org/details/@davidbrit2

I still have Statistical Analysis and Civil Engineering tapes that I need to 'process'.
09-20-2022, 07:58 PM
(09-20-2022 01:44 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  This link is to the part of the video covering this lot and skips to when I pull the module out

As I recall I did find that company was still registered in Florida and I send them a letter (snail mail) but never heard back. I have not tried to read the EPROM yet. On my very long TODO list Smile

Interesting, I might have a look at making something like that myself. Although all my PC1500's died a while back unfortunately.

And, incidentally, it was my video series about the Psion Organiser you were talking about in that segment :-)

Andrew
09-20-2022, 08:28 PM
(09-20-2022 07:58 PM)blackjetrock Wrote:  Interesting, I might have a look at making something like that myself. Although all my PC1500's died a while back unfortunately.

And, incidentally, it was my video series about the Psion Organiser you were talking about in that segment :-)

Andrew

It is good to know you are on here. I do enjoy your videos. When I have time I'll take some hires photos of the PCB and post here.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)