HP48G Connectivity Method in 2022
09-16-2022, 03:22 PM
HP48G Connectivity Method in 2022
What is the recommended method to connect with my HP48G series from a Win10 Machine or MacBook?

The last time I had tried, I had issues as the comm port of the available Connectivity software could only access Com1 or Com2. These days, the available ports are numbered much higher.

(By the way, I am currently testing alum - mentioned in another thread here.)

Thank you for your helpful advice,
TomC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2022, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2022 01:31 AM by rprosperi.)
RE: HP48G Connectivity Method in 2022
(09-16-2022 03:22 PM)TomC Wrote:  The last time I had tried, I had issues as the comm port of the available Connectivity software could only access Com1 or Com2. These days, the available ports are numbered much higher.

HP's vanilla ConnKit4 works fine for me, it sees my COM5 (USB virtual com port) and others without trouble, and I'm fairly sure I never modified anything, I believe it just see the higher COM ports.

Missed seeing you at HHC!

--Bob Prosperi
09-17-2022, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2022 12:03 PM by dmh.)
Conn4x works fine for me on Windows 10 too.

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2022, 12:08 PM
Bob: Thanks; I missed being at HHC. Hopefully next year.

Conn4 installed fine, but attempting to run it causes this Windows error returned"

Format: EReadError invalid or incompatible with argument.

( could not copy the error window here)

The frustration continues.
(Dell Win10 machine)

TomC

(09-17-2022 01:31 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-16-2022 03:22 PM)TomC Wrote:  The last time I had tried, I had issues as the comm port of the available Connectivity software could only access Com1 or Com2. These days, the available ports are numbered much higher.

HP's vanilla ConnKit4 works fine for me, it sees my COM5 (USB virtual com port) and others without trouble, and I'm fairly sure I never modified anything, I believe it just see the higher COM ports.

09-17-2022, 01:41 PM
Well, now for whatever reason, Conn4x starts and using 'Connect' (shows 'Auto' in window) it will not connect.

Again, on Win10, com9. I also tested on a Win8 machine with same results.

Thanks for your attention,
TomC

(09-17-2022 01:31 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  

09-17-2022, 02:03 PM
Hmmm....perhaps I am not using the correct 'Conn4x'?

I downloaded the one on hpcalc.org.

TomC

(09-16-2022 03:22 PM)TomC Wrote:  What is the recommended method to connect with my HP48G series from a Win10 Machine or MacBook?

The last time I had tried, I had issues as the comm port of the available Connectivity software could only access Com1 or Com2. These days, the available ports are numbered much higher.

(By the way, I am currently testing alum - mentioned in another thread here.)

Thank you for your helpful advice,
TomC
09-17-2022, 03:01 PM
I am using this one: (attached)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-17-2022, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2022 03:55 PM by DavidM.)
(09-17-2022 03:01 PM)TomC Wrote:  I am using this one: (attached)

You may want to try this one instead. It appears to be a later version.

Hopefully you've already installed the drivers successfully (they are not included with the Connectivity Kit). Later versions of Windows (I think starting with Win10) won't allow unsigned drivers to be installed unless you jump through the hoops to turn off that feature. You can turn that feature back on after the installation is complete, of course.

Edit: this thread has more information on installing the drivers
09-17-2022, 04:06 PM
DavidM:

Thanks very much - I'll try that later today!!

TomC

(09-17-2022 03:48 PM)DavidM Wrote:  
(09-17-2022 03:01 PM)TomC Wrote:  I am using this one: (attached)

You may want to try this one instead. It appears to be a later version.

Hopefully you've already installed the drivers successfully (they are not included with the Connectivity Kit). Later versions of Windows (I think starting with Win10) won't allow unsigned drivers to be installed unless you jump through the hoops to turn off that feature. You can turn that feature back on after the installation is complete, of course.

09-18-2022, 11:28 AM
RE: HP48G Connectivity Method in 2022---Ongoing
Firstly, thank you all. With a bit of patience, tedium and time, I've got the connectivity working.
The youtube video by 'Teknovo uno' was essential in leading me through all the tedium of Windows Compatibility Mode, Running as Administrator, etc....

I can now connect to the calculator and see all objects there.

HOWEVER, in attempting a Backup of the calculator, a number of curious things happen:

1. The HP48 shows 'EXECTUTE COMMAND' AND 'EVAL STOP' in the display.
2. The Conn software seems delayed for a bit - in the 'Copying' window.
3. The connectivity returns a 'Connectin Error. Please check your connections.' window.
4, There is a new object in the HOME directory of the HP48 shown on the screen: '<<fLaG'
5. The Connectivity software is locked up . The HP48 is still in Xmodem Server state.
6. One must quit the connectivity software.
7. Restarting the connectivity software usually works, but sometimes reset the COM port selection. The connectivity software is sluggish in listing the available COM ports.

So, at least I can do some connectivity, it would be nice if I could do a 'Backup'. I'll further test with other machines.

Thank you again for your attention and assistance,
TomC
ps: The contents of that '<<fLaG' object is:
%%HP: T(3)A(D)F(.);
\<< 'fLaG' PURGE { # 18016073546728432d # 0d } STOF
\>>
(this must be a temp variable the Conn software uses and did not get purged as the process was terminated prematurely)
===========================================================
(09-17-2022 04:06 PM)TomC Wrote:  DavidM:

Thanks very much - I'll try that later today!!

TomC

(09-17-2022 03:48 PM)DavidM Wrote:  You may want to try this one instead. It appears to be a later version.

09-18-2022, 12:56 PM
Tom,

I've only ever had such (similar, not exact) problems with a single bad cable, is it possible yours is bad, or has loose/dirty contacts (on the 48 end more likely, as poor USB connection is typically audible from the Win10 machine). The tiny sockets in the cable are hard to clean but an old toothbrush and some alcohol and careful/patient poking into the sockets will do it. While you have cleaning stuff out, I'd also clean the metal pins on the 48 side, q-tips soaked in alcohol usually work best.

Another quite different approach for backup is to use a RAM card, it is much faster and more convenient, but of course is of no use if the machine is lost, etc. I've never had a machine crash affect the contents of a card's backup, and of course you should change the card batteries every couple years. NOTE that on a 48, when you change the batteries, you unintuitively must keep the 48 powered-ON while changeing batteries, as the 48 does not provide power to the cards when powered off.

--Bob Prosperi
09-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Hi Bob:

Thanks again for your attention.

I have verified that it is not the cable.

I've tried this with several machines and a couple cables. I'm using a modern 'gearmo' USB/RS232 cable with FTDI chipset)

(My interest is with HP48G and HP48G+, so RAMCARD is not an option.)

All other functionality of the connectivity works. It would be interesting to understand why the calculator shows an 'EVAL STOP' in the display and will not continue.

I have shut off clock display on the subject calculator. I tried a lower (2400) baud setting, but the Conn software insists that the backup be done at the highest communication speed.

I will continue 'fidgeting'.

TomC
ps: It is worth noting here that for cleaning contacts, one should avoid 'rubbing alcohol' as this has lanolin added. One should use the highest available strength of 'Isopropyl Alcohol' as this should not contain any additives.

(09-18-2022 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Tom,

I've only ever had such (similar, not exact) problems with a single bad cable, is it possible yours is bad, or has loose/dirty contacts (on the 48 end more likely, as poor USB connection is typically audible from the Win10 machine). The tiny sockets in the cable are hard to clean but an old toothbrush and some alcohol and careful/patient poking into the sockets will do it. While you have cleaning stuff out, I'd also clean the metal pins on the 48 side, q-tips soaked in alcohol usually work best.

Another quite different approach for backup is to use a RAM card, it is much faster and more convenient, but of course is of no use if the machine is lost, etc. I've never had a machine crash affect the contents of a card's backup, and of course you should change the card batteries every couple years. NOTE that on a 48, when you change the batteries, you unintuitively must keep the 48 powered-ON while changeing batteries, as the 48 does not provide power to the cards when powered off.
09-18-2022, 03:52 PM
Well, again, this is getting more interesting/fascinating/frustrating.

I've tested:
Multiple Calculators
Multiple HP48/Serial Cables
Multiple PCs
Multiple USB/RS232 cables (both FTDI)

Same failure -

I cannot backup the calculator - as previously noted, the calculator displays ' EVAL STOP', and the Connectivity Software locks up. The Home directory of the calculator now contains a program object named 'fLaG' that contains a program that is obviously used to temporarily save the flag contents while the Connectivity code is running.

Perhaps some understanding of the connectivity code would lend some clues as to the failure mechanism here.

Again, connecting to and editing calculator objects works fine - it is only the 'Backup' feature that causes this failure - I would be curious if others have tried this feature when using the connectivity kit.

I'm starting to wonder if there may be some port settings in the properties of the COM port that needs to be fiddled with. (?)

Cheers!
TomC
ps: here's the fLaG object:
%%HP: T(3)A(D)F(.);
\<< 'fLaG' PURGE { # 40010400000FF0h # 0h } STOF
\>>

calculator
(09-18-2022 02:09 PM)TomC Wrote:  Hi Bob:

Thanks again for your attention.

I have verified that it is not the cable.

I've tried this with several machines and a couple cables. I'm using a modern 'gearmo' USB/RS232 cable with FTDI chipset)

(My interest is with HP48G and HP48G+, so RAMCARD is not an option.)

All other functionality of the connectivity works. It would be interesting to understand why the calculator shows an 'EVAL STOP' in the display and will not continue.

I have shut off clock display on the subject calculator. I tried a lower (2400) baud setting, but the Conn software insists that the backup be done at the highest communication speed.

I will continue 'fidgeting'.

TomC
ps: It is worth noting here that for cleaning contacts, one should avoid 'rubbing alcohol' as this has lanolin added. One should use the highest available strength of 'Isopropyl Alcohol' as this should not contain any additives.

(09-18-2022 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Tom,

09-18-2022, 05:40 PM
(09-18-2022 03:52 PM)TomC Wrote:  ...Again, connecting to and editing calculator objects works fine - it is only the 'Backup' feature that causes this failure - I would be curious if others have tried this feature when using the connectivity kit.

Just wanted to let you know I just tried the backup feature on my system (Win10 laptop, both with direct serial connection as well as a supported USB<->Serial adapter). For this test I was using a 48G as the host calculator, with a factory-fresh settings having started from a TTRM reset. For what it's worth, the XSRVR library was downloaded from the Connectivity Kit as well.

I had the exact same results that you did. Individual file transfers work OK, but the "Backup..." feature selected from the File menu fails in exactly the same way as yours.

You're not crazy! Or at least if you are, I am in the exact same way. Smile It appears that feature doesn't work as designed with a default configuration.
09-18-2022, 06:03 PM
hA! So, I'm not so crazy afterall!!!

Tnx!
TomC

(09-18-2022 05:40 PM)DavidM Wrote:  
(09-18-2022 03:52 PM)TomC Wrote:  ...Again, connecting to and editing calculator objects works fine - it is only the 'Backup' feature that causes this failure - I would be curious if others have tried this feature when using the connectivity kit.

Just wanted to let you know I just tried the backup feature on my system (Win10 laptop, both with direct serial connection as well as a supported USB<->Serial adapter). For this test I was using a 48G as the host calculator, with a factory-fresh settings having started from a TTRM reset. For what it's worth, the XSRVR library was downloaded from the Connectivity Kit as well.

I had the exact same results that you did. Individual file transfers work OK, but the "Backup..." feature selected from the File menu fails in exactly the same way as yours.

You're not crazy! Or at least if you are, I am in the exact same way. Smile It appears that feature doesn't work as designed with a default configuration.
09-18-2022, 06:47 PM
This may be relevant.

I setup a virtual winxp machine in win8.1 and used a prolific chipset usb to serial adapter to
connect to a HP38G calculator.
09-18-2022, 09:59 PM
Hello Liam:

Are you able to 'Backup' the HP38G?

TomC

(09-18-2022 06:47 PM)Liamtoh Resu Wrote:  This may be relevant.

I setup a virtual winxp machine in win8.1 and used a prolific chipset usb to serial adapter to
connect to a HP38G calculator.
09-18-2022, 10:31 PM
Quote: What is the recommended method to connect with my HP48G series from a Win10 Machine or MacBook?

On both a 2015 Intel MacBook Pro and 2021 Apple Silicon MackBook Pro running macOS Monterey 12.6 you can use the original command line c-kermit or Hoppi.

I use a StarTech.com 1-Feet USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Adapter Cable with COM Retention ICUSB232PRO, available from Amazon, to connect to the HP48GX serial cable. On the older Intel Mac this plugs straight into a USB-A port, on the newer Mac I add a simple USB-A to USB-C converter (Anker or others).

Hoppi does not need any special configuration, other than to select Serial rather than USB. My ~/.kermrc file for c-kermit is:

Code:
set port /dev/tty.usbserial-0001E6FD
set modem type direct
set speed 9600
set carrier-watch off
set flow none
set parity none
SET CONTROL PREFIX ALL
SET BLOCK 3
SET SEND TIMEOUT 20
SET SEND PAUSE 100
binary
09-18-2022, 10:48 PM
Hello Mark:

This is very interesting. I am curious how one would then perform a backup of the connected calculator.

Thank you,
TomC

(09-18-2022 10:31 PM)Mark Power Wrote:  
Quote: What is the recommended method to connect with my HP48G series from a Win10 Machine or MacBook?

On both a 2015 Intel MacBook Pro and 2021 Apple Silicon MackBook Pro running macOS Monterey 12.6 you can use the original command line c-kermit or Hoppi.

I use a StarTech.com 1-Feet USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Adapter Cable with COM Retention ICUSB232PRO, available from Amazon, to connect to the HP48GX serial cable. On the older Intel Mac this plugs straight into a USB-A port, on the newer Mac I add a simple USB-A to USB-C converter (Anker or others).

Hoppi does not need any special configuration, other than to select Serial rather than USB. My ~/.kermrc file for c-kermit is:

Code:
set port /dev/tty.usbserial-0001E6FD
set modem type direct
set speed 9600
set carrier-watch off
set flow none
set parity none
SET CONTROL PREFIX ALL
SET BLOCK 3
SET SEND TIMEOUT 20
SET SEND PAUSE 100
binary
09-18-2022, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2022 11:29 PM by Mark Power.)
(09-18-2022 10:48 PM)TomC Wrote:  Hello Mark:

This is very interesting. I am curious how one would then perform a backup of the connected calculator.

Thank you,
TomC

To backup main memory put c-Kermit into server mode on the Mac, or simply start Hoppi, and use this program on the 48 to create a backup file called ARCMEM:

Code:
<< :IO: ARCMEM ARCHIVE >>

Replace ARCHIVE with RESTORE to restore the backup to the calculator.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)