HP-25 Two Variable Statistics
09-05-2022, 03:21 AM
HP-25 Two Variable Statistics
Hi all. Am I missing something?

After I enter x, y data pairs, when I press the mean or standard deviation button, I only see the calculation for the x values. Is there something I’m supposed to do to calculate those for y values?

Also, R0, R1, R2, and R7 were available. So, since I could enter x, y data pairs, why wasn’t the calculation for Σ(y^2) in one of the spare registers?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2022, 04:01 AM
RE: HP-25 Two Variable Statistics
As William C Wickes has said on other HP calculator projects when asked why a feature was missing from a particular model, "Life is short and ROM is full". In the case of the HP-25, this is literally true. There was no room left in the HP-25's ROM to add *any* feature unless you removed a feature or were able to further optimize the code to make more room.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-85...75033.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2022, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2022 04:29 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
Thanks for letting me in on the details. Oddly enough, a rerun from one of my earlier posts.

Thanks anyhow!

Although…

Is it correct to presume that when the 19/29 came about, HP had the technology to be able to incorporate several high level features--now two-variable state, indirect addressing, 98 program steps, 30 registers, three subroutine levels, labels, etc.? I presume when the 19/29 were developed, the technology was able to create such higher functionality in their calculators.
Find all posts by this user
09-05-2022, 05:32 AM
(09-05-2022 04:18 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  ...
Is it correct to presume that when the 19/29 came about, HP had the technology to be able to incorporate several high level features--now two-variable state, indirect addressing, 98 program steps, 30 registers, three subroutine levels, labels, etc.? I presume when the 19/29 were developed, the technology was able to create such higher functionality in their calculators.

All of the features you mentioned (more or less) were present in one or more of the HP-65, HP-55 or HP-67 programmable models which were introduced before the HP-29C/19C so the technology for those features did exist previously at HP.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-bin/compare...ne&diff=ON
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)