Inputting mixed numbers on HP50g
07-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Inputting mixed numbers on HP50g
Hello,

I just moved to the HP50g from the HP35s. I was wearing out buttons on the 35s at least yearly, so I hope the 50g holds up a little better.

One feature I really liked on the 35s was that I could input mixed numbers by hitting the decimal key between the whole number and between the numerator and denominator. For example, 3 1/4 would be 3,decimal,1,decimal,4,enter and 3.25 would be input. Very handy when adding lists with fractional numbers. So far I haven't been able to figure out if this is possible on the 50g. Definitely isn't set up to do so right out of the box. I've done some searching but haven't found anyone discussing this issue.

Can anyone tell me if what I describe is possible on the 50g?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2014, 07:29 PM
RE: Inputting mixed numbers on HP50g
(07-24-2014 05:07 PM)bootlegend Wrote:  Hello,

I just moved to the HP50g from the HP35s. I was wearing out buttons on the 35s at least yearly, so I hope the 50g holds up a little better.

One feature I really liked on the 35s was that I could input mixed numbers by hitting the decimal key between the whole number and between the numerator and denominator. For example, 3 1/4 would be 3,decimal,1,decimal,4,enter and 3.25 would be input. Very handy when adding lists with fractional numbers. So far I haven't been able to figure out if this is possible on the 50g. Definitely isn't set up to do so right out of the box. I've done some searching but haven't found anyone discussing this issue.

Thanks.

Short answer - no. RPL machine gets input through "command line" which gets parsed subsequently. (One of the best features of the HP35s IMO.)
07-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Well, bummer. That was a really nice feature on the 35s.

Thanks anyway for the help.
07-24-2014, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 09:29 PM by C.Ret.)
Hello,

I know at least two methods to make this type of input on a HP50g calculator.
But I am not an expert of the HP48/50 series, I sure there exist a lot of other ways to get it done .

The first way I know is by using the arithmetic expression input method. No programming is required. This method is commun to HP28/48/50.

To input for exemple 3 1/4; first enter algebraic mode by pressing the quote key [ ' ]. Then enter the number such as on the HP35s by replacing first dot with [ + ] key and the second dot with [ / ] key. Terminate by pressing [ENTER] key to let the algebraic expression '3 + 1 / 4' in the stack or by pressing [ f ][NUM->] to directly input 3.25

The second way I may propose is to adapt for the HP50g this little programme I may have used on my HP-28S to mimic any fractional inputs. (In fact this is a short version from a more sophisticate input program I have used a long ago !)

Code:

«
  "" DUP                   @@  One string for last integer input, another for display
  WHILE
    OVER "_" + 4 DISP      @@  Display key sequence at screen bottom
    DO UNTIL KEY END       @@  Wait for one key press
    DUP "ENTER" <>
  REPEAT                   @@  Repeat until user press ENTER

ROT OVER + SWAP        @@  Add keyed digit (or any caracter) to both strings
    ROT OVER + SWAP            

IF  "." SAME           @@ IF user press the dot key [ . ]
    THEN STR-> SWAP "" END @@   store last inputed integer in the stack and prepare for next entry
    END
  END        
  DROP SWAP DROP           @@ Drop "ENTER" and 'display' string from stack
  STR-> / +                @@ compute fractional input   n+a/b 
  CLMF                     @@ Return HP28S in normal display mode
»

Running FNINP allow fractional number input by pressing only digits, the dot key (two times) and ENTER key to terminate the input.

Sorry, I am unable to directly translate this code into revelant HP50g RPL dialect. But I hope this may still help you
07-25-2014, 02:16 AM

Thanks.

OF COURSE IT IS POSSIBLE! and more. don't listen to those
who might give the "short answer"

(07-24-2014 07:29 PM)RMollov Wrote:  Short answer - no. RPL machine gets input through "command line" which gets parsed subsequently. (One of the best features of the HP35s IMO.)

the good thing about 50G is its not a RPN box Smile (lucky us), just change to algebraic press 3+1/4 and see 3.25 !!! wow now change to RPN mode and press 2 * and see 6.5 !!!

also anything is possible as far as programmatic wise check out Joe Horns fantastic fif49 its over on my 2nd favorite site http://www.hpcalc.org

have fun programming : )

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
07-25-2014, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 10:10 AM by RMollov.)
(07-25-2014 02:16 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  OF COURSE IT IS POSSIBLE! and more. don't listen to those
who might give the "short answer"
And what is your answer? The "300 point U turn" you proposed? Smile
True it's a "long answer" and you are "the one" to listen to.
07-25-2014, 11:27 AM
I appreciate all the replies, but the beauty of the way mixed numbers were handled on the 35s was the efficiency. It appears the above solutions add keystrokes compared to just dividing the fractional portion and adding to the whole number, which is how I'm handling it now. I was simply hoping there was a setting buried somewhere that would allow direct fractional input in RPN mode.
07-25-2014, 08:54 PM
(07-25-2014 11:27 AM)bootlegend Wrote:  I appreciate all the replies, but the beauty of the way mixed numbers were handled on the 35s was the efficiency. It appears the above solutions add keystrokes compared to just dividing the fractional portion and adding to the whole number, which is how I'm handling it now. I was simply hoping there was a setting buried somewhere that would allow direct fractional input in RPN mode.

Compared to the HP35s, the 50G would need ONE keystroke more. Instead of
3 . 1 . 4 ENTER you'd have to press
3 SPC 1 SPC 4 / +

I think that's not so much a difference.

HTH Günter
07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
(07-25-2014 08:54 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Compared to the HP35s, the 50G would need ONE keystroke more. Instead of
3 . 1 . 4 ENTER you'd have to press
3 SPC 1 SPC 4 / +

I think that's not so much a difference.

HTH Günter

Yea, we (almost) all do that and do not switch to ALG mode and back Wink ; stil it's not as easy as it is done on the 35s - you still do calculations rather than simple input.
Regards,
07-26-2014, 01:14 AM
(07-25-2014 11:27 AM)bootlegend Wrote:  I appreciate all the replies, but the beauty of the way mixed numbers were handled on the 35s was the efficiency. It appears the above solutions add keystrokes compared to just dividing the fractional portion and adding to the whole number, which is how I'm handling it now. I was simply hoping there was a setting buried somewhere that would allow direct fractional input in RPN mode.

nope not a setting, nope not in RPN mode...
...but did you look at that program I pointed to? Joe Horns fantastic fif49 its over on my 2nd favorite site http://www.hpcalc.org "This is actually a 49G translation of Joe Horn's Feet-Inches-Fractions (FIF) program for the 48G. This is an invaluable program for anyone who works with dimensions, allowing all the calculator functions to work while displaying the FIF result!" ...it will save you at least 1000 keystrokes* (in you lifetime) and make your 49 sexier than RMollov's 35s. Hey if you need help downloading/installing it let me know i'll help.* You should read these Terms of Use (this “Agreement”) carefully before using the program. Access to and use of this program is subject to the terms and conditions set forth below, and your use of the program signifies and constitutes your acceptance of this Agreement. If you do not agree to this Agreement, you should not use the Site. Keystrokes saved is based on daily use of said program continuously for at least 2 lifetimes. Saved keystrokes is an individual experience that you may not receive by use of this program.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

07-26-2014, 03:48 AM
(07-26-2014 01:14 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  This is an invaluable program for anyone who works with dimensions

Ahem, imperial dimensions.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2014, 05:36 AM
(07-26-2014 01:14 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  ...it will save you at least 1000 keystrokes* (in you lifetime) and make your 49 sexier than RMollov's 35s. Hey if you need help downloading/installing it let me know i'll help
I have very limited use of my HP35s but I strongly believe it is more capable of anything you wrote for any calculator.
I really feel sorry for people needing your help for calculators.
07-27-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't have much to add here, but I suggest you to create a little program so you can save some keystrokes:

<< / + →NUM >>

The next program takes a decimal number and returns a mixed number:

<<
IF DUP TYPE NOT
THEN →Q PROPFRAC
END
>>

Have fun with your new calculator :-) .
07-28-2014, 06:08 PM
<clip>
I just moved to the HP50g from the HP35s.
<clip> fractional numbers.
<clip> possible on the 50g?

Thanks.

here is what i use:

Code:
'RUN'

%%HP: T(3)A(D)F(.);
\<< 0 "THIS APP TOTALS THE
RESULTS TO THE In2Ft
CONVERSION. YOU MUST
ENTER # FEET OR 0 TO 
BEGIN OR IT WILL
ERROR.
1->           FT or 0" 3 DISP 2 FREEZE CST MENU
\>>

the above displays a little help and loads 'cst'

Code:
'CST'

%%HP: T(3)A(D)F(.);
{ { "IN" \<< 12. / + \>> } 
{ "/2" \<< 2. / 12. / + \>> } 
{ "/4" \<< 4. / 12. / + \>> } 
{ "/8" \<< 8. / 12. / + \>> } 
{ "/16" \<< 16. / 12. / + \>> } 
{ "/32" \<< 32. / 12. / + \>> } }

have fun : )
as before if u have any problems let me know.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

07-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Now that everyone established that inputting in a 50g is not as convenient as in the 35s (despite various solutions presented). What would be the preferred way to input these numbers on a RPL machine with the 50g keyboard?

I think using double dots would be quick to type:

'3/4' would be 3..4
'1+2/3' would be 1..2..3

It may not save keystrokes, but saves finger movement, so it's quick to type. In case anyone wonders why I want to know, I can implement this in newRPL.
Typing 3 [space] 4 / would perform the operation on the numbers and return 0.75, while 3..4 would put the fraction '3/4' on the stack (which otherwise would require 5 keystrokes all over the keyboard, [''] 3 / 4 [enter]).

Any opinions/improvements? Is this something worth implementing? or there's only one person that wants this?

Claudio
07-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Right now I'm getting used to the entering all three portions with a space between each mentioned above. Then I hit / then + to get the mixed number in the stack. It's nearly as quick, but I think there is a mental pause for me personally. Maybe it's just the years of using the 35s, but inputting a mixed number required no "thought" on the 35s. 7 13/16 ths? 7.13.16 <enter>

I have never programmed anything on either calculator. Don't you have to call a program up? That seems cumbersome.

The possibility of using a double decimal between each portion of a mixed number sounds promising, but how would you implement that?
07-30-2014, 05:47 PM
(07-30-2014 01:50 PM)bootlegend Wrote:  ... Don't you have to call a program up? That seems cumbersome.
Not really. Assign the program to a key. If you do this a lot, the HIST key is a prime candidate. (However, I assign it to SWAP.)

- John
07-30-2014, 05:56 PM
(07-30-2014 01:50 PM)bootlegend Wrote:  The possibility of using a double decimal between each portion of a mixed number sounds promising, but how would you implement that?

newRPL is a new project to build an RPL calculator from scratch, that will run on the same 50g hardware. Basically we can implement whatever we want, in any way we want.
No programs to call, just ype 3..4 and you can get '3/4' on the stack, just like that.
Claudio
07-30-2014, 11:24 PM
(07-30-2014 01:31 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I think using double dots would be quick to type:

'3/4' would be 3..4
'1+2/3' would be 1..2..3
And why not single dots as in HP35s? HP50 goes into error condition in both cases : 1.2.3 ENTER or 1..2..3 ENTER so you are gonna have to deal with this. Presence of a second dot should suggest fraction input. HP35s' nice changing of the command line look is good to have, but one can live without it I guess.

Regards,
07-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Perhaps you could use something like this (needs more work, and probably breaks some stuff; in particular, you can't enter multiple numbers/objects with this enabled):

Code:
\<<
IFERR
  STR\->
THEN
  IF
    ERRN #106h ==
  THEN
    Chars DUP
    "." ElemIndex
    "+" PUT
    DUP
    "." ElemIndex
    "/" PUT
    "'" SWAP + "'" +
    Strcat OBJ\->
  END
END
\>>
'\GaENTER' STO

Then switch on the user keyboard:
Code:
-62 SF
-63 SF

The above code requires GoferLists.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)