help doing simple integral
08-22-2022, 09:29 PM
help doing simple integral
Hi, I'm having trouble doing a simple integral, the calculator keeps giving me an error.

The integral is just 0 to 1 of (X + 1) * Y^(X+1) dy, where X > -1

Any help would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2022, 01:14 AM
RE: help doing simple integral
[Image: integral3.png]

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2022, 01:36 AM
Thank you Joe. How were you able to add the condition that X > -1 ?
08-23-2022, 04:51 AM
(08-23-2022 01:36 AM)geepigs Wrote:  Thank you Joe. How were you able to add the condition that X > -1 ?

The way I did it was by using the "Where" function, which looks like a long vertical line. In the math template menu (the key between the toolbox and the x-t-theta-n key), it's in the top row, 3rd item. You can see its help screen in the Toolbox Catalog menu, immediately following ztrans in alphabetical order (highlight it and press the Help key).

Another approach is to use the 'assume' command, for example:
assume(x>-1)
This tells Prime to assume that x<-1 for all future CAS work (until you change x's assumptions, or delete them, of course). I personally dislike using 'assume' because I always forget that I made assumptions and they cause me trouble later... just like in real life. Big Grin

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2022, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2022 06:37 AM by toml_12953.)
(08-23-2022 04:51 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(08-23-2022 01:36 AM)geepigs Wrote:  Thank you Joe. How were you able to add the condition that X > -1 ?

The way I did it was by using the "Where" function, which looks like a long vertical line. In the math template menu (the key between the toolbox and the x-t-theta-n key), it's in the top row, 3rd item. You can see its help screen in the Toolbox Catalog menu, immediately following ztrans in alphabetical order (highlight it and press the Help key).

assume(x>-1)
This tells Prime to assume that x<-1 for all future CAS work (until you change x's assumptions, or delete them, of course). I personally dislike using 'assume' because I always forget that I made assumptions and they cause me trouble later... just like in real life. Big Grin

Before the answer shows up, I get a message saying:

Quote:No checks were made for singular points of antiderivative (x+1)*taylor8^(x+2)/(x+2) for definite integration in [0,1]

Is this supposed to happen?

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-23-2022, 07:01 AM
(08-23-2022 06:36 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(08-23-2022 04:51 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  The way I did it was by using the "Where" function, which looks like a long vertical line. In the math template menu (the key between the toolbox and the x-t-theta-n key), it's in the top row, 3rd item. You can see its help screen in the Toolbox Catalog menu, immediately following ztrans in alphabetical order (highlight it and press the Help key).

assume(x>-1)

Before the answer shows up, I get a message saying:

Quote:No checks were made for singular points of antiderivative (x+1)*taylor8^(x+2)/(x+2) for definite integration in [0,1]

Is this supposed to happen?

Yes, this is supposed to happen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)