Little problem(s) 2022.08
08-02-2022, 08:26 PM
Little problem(s) 2022.08
Inspired by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNRnrn5DE58 and this.

Someone wants to order a set of 81 rectangular cuboids that can stick with each other, whatever is the face that we pick of the cuboid.

Those cuboids will be used for measurements.

Define the dimensions of those cuboids with the objective to cover the largest number of possible consecutive lengths provided that we give a fixed interval between those.

I am not sure I wrote this properly so I give an example.

Say that I decide to design the 81 elements as cubes with edge of 1 unit (1/1000 of an inch, a millimeter, a digitus or what not); then with 81 of them and an interval of 1 unit, I can cover 81 consecutive lengths: 1,2,3,...,81

I hope the example helps.

Given the devised set, it should be practical for an operator to compose a certain length with maximum 5 blocks. Thus which blocks could be covered combining at most 5 blocks given the 81 designed cuboids? (in general the limit of 5 could be seen as "limit of N blocks").

What are the all possible covered lengths (consecutive or not) that one can assemble given the 81 elements that were designed?

For each possible covered lengths, what is the shortest combination of blocks to equal that length and what is the longest?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2022, 07:26 AM
RE: Little problem(s) 2022.08
Interesting one - do I take it each cuboid has three independent dimensions? It's a variation of the Sparse Ruler problem, I think.
08-03-2022, 11:00 AM
RE: Little problem(s) 2022.08
(08-03-2022 07:26 AM)EdS2 Wrote:  Interesting one - do I take it each cuboid has three independent dimensions? It's a variation of the Sparse Ruler problem, I think.

Yes a cuboid could be designed to have 3 different dimensions. And I didn't know the Sparse Ruler problem, neat.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)