Basic questions about HP-41c
08-01-2022, 04:08 AM
Basic questions about HP-41c
Hi, I've had HP-41C and accessories for a long time but never really bonded with them.
Now, they are starting to grow on me and I would like to do something simple but I'm not quite sure on how to proceed.

I will write several small programs and assign them to keys. I wouid like to save my programs and key assignments on one card (they are short enough).
How can I do it?

Also, can a program assign user keys?

And finally, is there a way to use the wand to read both a program and key assigments?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2022, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2022 10:50 AM by redglyph.)
RE: Basic questions about HP-41c
I don't have any accessory so I can't help much, but if you don't have the manuals, you can find most if not all of them here:

https://literature.hpcalc.org/

To assign a user key programmatically, use PASN instead of ASN (pg 166, in the Owner's Manual vol II):
  • put the label name of the user function into the alpha register
  • put the key code into X (those are the same codes as ASN, so a 2-digit number <row><column>, for ex 11 for A, 12 for B, ...)
  • XEQ PASN
08-01-2022, 12:49 PM
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure PASN requires either a 41CX or the Extended Functions module.

Current daily driver: HP 71B w/FRAM 71B
08-01-2022, 12:54 PM
If you assign a user key to a global label (i.e. a program you've stored in memory), then the key assignment is actually saved as part of the global label, and will be written to the card. If you read the card back into memory while USER mode is activated, then the global labels in that program will be loaded with any user key assignments intact. (I don't remember if USER mode has to be activated when writing the card - I think it's only when reading it back.)

Note you can have multiple global labels each with its own key assignment within a single program space (i.e. between two ENDs), so you can write a few small programs with key assignments to a single side of a card. Assuming they are small enough to all fit together into 112 bytes, anyway!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2022, 03:49 PM
(08-01-2022 12:54 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Note you can have multiple global labels each with its own key assignment within a single program space (i.e. between two ENDs), so you can write a few small programs with key assignments to a single side of a card. Assuming they are small enough to all fit together into 112 bytes, anyway!

Thanks. I read the documentation but this is exactly what I've missed.
08-02-2022, 07:51 AM
(08-01-2022 12:49 PM)RPNerd Wrote:  I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure PASN requires either a 41CX or the Extended Functions module.

You must be right, I thought this was on all models. Sorry if that was misleading.
08-02-2022, 09:24 AM
I've stumbled upon this thread recently:
(01-23-2020 08:09 AM)hth Wrote:  This is all because COPY is part of the mainframe (HP-41 original firmware) and it does not contain any code to take a name from Alpha. Such routines were introduced in the Extended Functions module and the HP-IL module.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)