Store operator (▶)
07-24-2022, 10:52 PM
Store operator (▶)
I am struggling to understand the use of the Store operator (▶) as described in the User Guide, 3rd Ed. p613-614:

"Here we use the Store operator (▶) in place of :=. Press <Shift> <EEX/Sto (▶)> to retrieve this operator. The syntax is Var ▶ Value; that is, the value on the right is stored in the variable on the left."

Surely this is the wrong way around. The value comes first, on the left and is stored in the variable on the right? Or is my understanding wrong? As I read the code examples that follow, the result of some operation which comes first, on the left is stored into a variable named next, on the right.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it but this sort of thing troubles me. Sorry if it is a foolish error on my part.

Thanks for reading.

Stephen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2022, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2022 03:11 PM by RPNerd.)
RE: Store operator (▶)
More recent manuals from HP are full of typos. The care put into creating them makes them but a pale imitation of the spiral-bound manuals of the days of the Voyager series and the HP48S/G series.

You are absolutely correct that it should be the other way round. It should be "Value ▶ Var" with the value on the LEFT being stored in the variable on the RIGHT.

Current daily driver: HP 71B w/FRAM 71B
07-25-2022, 04:55 PM
(07-25-2022 02:28 PM)RPNerd Wrote:  More recent manuals from HP are full of typos. The care put into creating them makes them but a pale imitation of the spiral-bound manuals of the days of the Voyager series and the HP48S/G series.

You should be happy you have a manual at all.
Many consumer products don't even come with one. Big Grin
07-27-2022, 11:48 AM
Thank you for your responses.

I remember my late father poring over the manuals for his HP-45 and HP-41C. I was allowed to look but not touch. I did get his cast off TI SR-52 though.

Stephen.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)