RPN Tutorial in retro style
08-30-2014, 08:52 PM
RE: RPN Tutorial in retro style
(08-30-2014 11:17 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Very nice! I'd have put the cheat sheet at the bottom and shortened the intro but I guess that's why I'm not a writer! I was fortunate enough to get an HP-45 as my first calculator so I sort of grew up with RPN and now it's second nature to me. It was fun to watch fellow college students when they borrowed my calculator. "Where's the equals key???"
Although I've been using HP calculators for years, I never knew the shift keys had names! It seems you *can* teach an old dog new tricks.

Keep up the good work!

Tom L

Thanks for the feedback. I also think the Tutorial is a bit too long. Maybe in the future I make a much smaller printable version.

The nicknames for the prefix (shift) key are from the book by John A. Ball: Algorithms for RPN Calculators (John Wiley & Sons, 1978). A very good book, by the way.

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 11:39 PM by Archilog.)
Hello there!

Nice tutorial.

If you want, you can use my (indeed, I'm the author) RPN stack permutations graph.
It was published there (a very recommended site!).

Mail me (archilog9919[a.t]gmail.com) for further informations.

Cheers,

Xavier
08-31-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 09:02 AM by Marcus von Cube.)
(08-30-2014 01:49 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  SOUTH EAST ARROW CROSSING NORTH EAST ARROW
You can use the Browser Test Page.

The browser test works fine for me, just not Hans' tutorial. I assume there is a font style in the HTML or CSS which forces my Mac to switch to a font that does not contain the character in question.

Let's see what the forum does:
Copied from the tutoral: ⤭
Copied from the character palette: ⤭

It's just the "CROSSING" variant of the double arrow that doesn't render correctly. It might be a Firefox issue.

Edit: Looks correct in Chrome but not in Firefox on my Mac. It's definitely not Hans' fault.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
08-31-2014, 09:03 AM
(08-31-2014 08:51 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  It's just the "CROSSING" variant of the double arrow that doesn't render correctly. It might be a Firefox issue.

Not under Windows...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2014, 09:21 AM
(08-30-2014 01:20 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Hans, I like it. Smile

There seems to be font problem on my Mac (OS 10.8.5) as can be seen in the picture:

What's missing here?

I can't even view the content of the tutoriasl PDF (with acrobat for windows)
08-31-2014, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 09:47 AM by jebem.)
(08-31-2014 09:21 AM)aurelio Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 01:20 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Hans, I like it. Smile

There seems to be font problem on my Mac (OS 10.8.5) as can be seen in the picture:

What's missing here?

I can't even view the content of the tutoriasl PDF (with acrobat for windows)

Same problem here using Windows 7 and Adobe Reader: I just see a looong blank white page.
However I managed to open it after downloading the PDF file and open it with Foxit Reader 5.4.

EDIT:
But it contains just ONE long page, and that can be a problem.
Also if I try to print it to the doPDF virtual printer I got issues with missing text.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

08-31-2014, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 11:19 AM by Marcus von Cube.)
Last x mistake in appendix B:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1047]
[x] after Last x should read [÷] instead.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
09-02-2014, 03:10 PM
(08-31-2014 11:18 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Last x mistake in appendix B:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1047]
[x] after Last x should read [÷] instead.

You spotted an error. Thanks!

I corrected it.
And at the same time added the WP 34S RCL L and WP 31S UNDO to this appendix.

Hans
09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
(08-31-2014 09:44 AM)jebem Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 09:21 AM)aurelio Wrote:  I can't even view the content of the tutoriasl PDF (with acrobat for windows)

Same problem here using Windows 7 and Adobe Reader: I just see a looong blank white page.
However I managed to open it after downloading the PDF file and open it with Foxit Reader 5.4.

EDIT:
But it contains just ONE long page, and that can be a problem.
Also if I try to print it to the doPDF virtual printer I got issues with missing text.

The PDF-version is problematic and not up to date. Sorry.
I'll remove it and in the future make a new one which hopefully is better.

Does anyone have a tip how best to make an HTML & CSS webpage into a nice PDF-file?

Hans
09-02-2014, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 03:42 PM by Joe Horn.)
(08-31-2014 09:44 AM)jebem Wrote:  Also if I try to print it to the doPDF virtual printer I got issues with missing text.

(09-02-2014 03:19 PM)hansklav Wrote:  Does anyone have a tip how best to make an HTML & CSS webpage into a nice PDF-file?

The free CutePDF virtual printer works pretty well. Here's what I just got using it to print the tutorial web page (to American "letter"-size pages, but that can easily be set to whatever you prefer). Caution: It's 1.5 megabytes.

http://holyjoe.net/hp/RPN_tutorial.pdf

The only "bug" I see is a minor one: when a table is split across pages, the table header is nicely printed above both pieces, but sometimes that causes the header to be printed with nothing below it. That can probably be avoided via some strategic HTML.

EDIT: Also, if you jump directly to page 25, the PDF viewer complains that it can't find a font that's used there.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-02-2014, 04:03 PM
(09-02-2014 03:39 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 03:19 PM)hansklav Wrote:  Does anyone have a tip how best to make an HTML & CSS webpage into a nice PDF-file?

The free CutePDF virtual printer works pretty well. Here's what I just got using it to print the tutorial web page (to American "letter"-size pages, but that can easily be set to whatever you prefer). Caution: It's 1.5 megabytes.

http://holyjoe.net/hp/RPN_tutorial.pdf

The only "bug" I see is a minor one: when a table is split across pages, the table header is nicely printed above both pieces, but sometimes that causes the header to be printed with nothing below it. That can probably be avoided via some strategic HTML.

EDIT: Also, if you jump directly to page 25, the PDF viewer complains that it can't find a font that's used there.

Why, thanks! Not bad for a first try.

I'll try and make a version of the webpage without broken tables.

B.t.w., on my Mac I don't see a missing font on p. 25. Which part of the text is it?
09-02-2014, 09:12 PM
(09-02-2014 04:03 PM)hansklav Wrote:  B.t.w., on my Mac I don't see a missing font on p. 25. Which part of the text is it?

I don't know exactly where on the page the error occurs; Windows gives no hint about that. In case it matters, page 25 on my Windows machine starts with the line immediately before Appendix D, and ends with:
1 [ENTER] 2 [+] [1/x] [×] 6 [×]
(which is in the middle of Appendix E).

Please note that the error only occurs if page 25 is jumped to immediately after opening the file. If you open it and then sequentially page down, the error occurs on page 22 (and of course is not reported again, even on page 25).

It's very strange, since your HTML code contains only seems to specify font-family: Georgia, sans-serif, and serif, which are trouble-free in Windows.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-02-2014, 09:59 PM
(09-02-2014 09:12 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 04:03 PM)hansklav Wrote:  B.t.w., on my Mac I don't see a missing font on p. 25. Which part of the text is it?

I don't know exactly where on the page the error occurs; Windows gives no hint about that. In case it matters, page 25 on my Windows machine starts with the line immediately before Appendix D, and ends with:
1 [ENTER] 2 [+] [1/x] [×] 6 [×]
(which is in the middle of Appendix E).

Please note that the error only occurs if page 25 is jumped to immediately after opening the file. If you open it and then sequentially page down, the error occurs on page 22 (and of course is not reported again, even on page 25).

It's very strange, since your HTML code contains only seems to specify font-family: Georgia, sans-serif, and serif, which are trouble-free in Windows.

No problem here, neither on page 25 (dir.) nor on page 22 (seq.).
Win7 x64 + Foxit PhantomPDF

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
09-03-2014, 03:30 PM
(07-20-2014 12:13 AM)hansklav Wrote:  Let me know what you think of it.
I'm not among your target audience, but I think you did very well in typesetting and chosing colors. Very nice work.
09-03-2014, 08:44 PM
(09-03-2014 03:30 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  I'm not among your target audience, but I think you did very well in typesetting and choosing colors. Very nice work.

1+

Now could you please write a manual for the WP-34S that doesn't hurt my eyes?
That would be great!

Cheers
Thomas
09-04-2014, 06:00 AM
(07-20-2014 12:13 AM)hansklav Wrote:  Let me know what you think of it.

Well done, i like it.
I think there is a typo in Example VII. After pressing 3 ENTER the display shows 3 (not 2).
olr
09-07-2014, 11:17 PM
(09-04-2014 06:00 AM)olr Wrote:  Well done, i like it.
I think there is a typo in Example VII. After pressing 3 ENTER the display shows 3 (not 2).
olr

You’re right! I corrected this error.
Thanks for the feedback,

Hans
06-07-2017, 02:08 PM
(07-20-2014 12:13 AM)hansklav Wrote:  Hi all,

Recently I've been busy preparing an RPN Tutorial that explains the basics of using an RPN calculator. I tried to make it as generic as possible, so that it can be used by a starting user of the HP-35 up to and including the HP Prime.

Let me know what you think of it.

Hans

I know this is an old thread but the tutorial is still great! I do have one nit to pick, though. Cheat sheet #7 can be done with no STO on a 4-level RPN calculator. If you use the X^2 key rather than 9 ENTER 2 Y^X, it works fine. I know that's only for this one example but it does work. If you change the power to any number other than 2, then the example does show the limitation of a 4-level stack.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Somehow I missed this entry in my explorations (I passed already the 2014 threads) , nice work. I'll have too put this in the hp wiki.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
06-07-2017, 09:45 PM
(07-20-2014 03:34 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 01:42 PM)r. pienne Wrote:  Hmmm ... ÷ and / were the only division symbols I ever learned (in Ireland, Europe). A colon is used to denote ratios, however.
I first saw the obelus on a HP keyboard, never at school.
There we used colons, or bars in long division.
+1

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)