I need help with PyIlper on Windows 10
06-26-2022, 07:49 PM
I need help with PyIlper on Windows 10
I am primarily a Mac user and have little knowledge of the deep dark secrets of the modern versions of Windows.

I have PyIlper (1.8.5) installed via Anaconda on my Mac and a Windows 10 machine. Both have been working fine for quite some time.

Recently, PyIlper on Windows refuses to start up completely. Typing "pyilper" at the anaconda prompt produces a blank white window with "pyILPER 1.8.5" in the title block and then the blue spinny ring spins until I force quit PyIlper.

I have done a clean uninstall\reinstall of Anaconda and reinstall of PyIlper.
I have verified Pyhton 3.9 is installed.

Are there any places deep within the bowels of Windows that may need cleaning out when I uninstall Anaconda that the published uninstall procedure does not cover?

Thanks for any advice.

- Dan

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2022, 02:22 AM
RE: I need help with PyIlper on Windows 10
Try launching pyILPer using a tiny .cmd file script in pyliper's home directory, which activates prior to calling the main .exe file. You can put a shortcut that launches the script on the desktop or in the Start Menu.

Mine looks like this:

Code:
:: Startup script to launch pyILPer
:: Located in pyILPer's "home" folder
::
:: This line activates the miniconda environment, including adding python to the Windows path
:: In my case, I installed miniconda into C:\Miniconda3

call "C:\Miniconda3\Scripts\activate.bat"

pyilper.exe

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
06-27-2022, 02:29 AM
I'll give that a try. The strange thing is that it was working on that computer for a long time and then suddenly stopped. I wonder if a Windows update messed something up.

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
06-27-2022, 05:15 PM
(06-26-2022 07:49 PM)twoweims Wrote:  Are there any places deep within the bowels of Windows that may need cleaning out when I uninstall Anaconda that the published uninstall procedure does not cover?

Maybe the pyILPER configuration settings are corruped. These settings survive when you uninstall Anaconda and/or pyilper. You can find the pyILPER settings on a Windows10 inside the current user settings at

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\pyilper

You may find

penconfig2
pyilper2
shortcutconfig2

and whenever you installed a debug version of pyILPER maybe

penconfig2d
pyilper2d
shortcutconfig2d

The file pyilper2 contain all relevant settings like connection settings and more important the device table with the list of added and enabled devices.

You you may rename the directory \pyilper at first instance and start pyILPER again. pyILPER will create a new \pyilper directory with default settings then.

Maybe a tip for windows users which want to start pyILPER from the desktop. I installed Ananconda and pyILPER manually, so I don't know if a Miniconda installation create the same file. At my manual installation in the Anaconda directory C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\Scripts I find a file named pyilper.exe. A doubleclick on this file should start pyILPER directly. So I added a link to this exe on my desktop.
06-27-2022, 06:14 PM
Thank You Christoph!

I knew there had to be something left behind deep in the bowels (I use GI Tract reference for a reason! Wink ) of windows after uninstalling, but I had no idea where to look.

It is working fine now!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)