The HP41C -- it lives!!
07-23-2014, 09:30 AM
The HP41C -- it lives!!
After 7 years in storage (no batteries), and despite a little reseating of modules and rubbing of battery contacts, my HP41 powered up today. Oddly, I didn't need to dig out the manual to remember functions, setting up the date/time or entering a quick program. It was a joy of ergonomic thoughtfulness after suffering several months trying to get used to a Prime.

Now. Any advice on improving contacts on the modules and battery terminals -- the latter show some corrosion on 1 and 3 (looking in as 1234 left to right), although I remember having an occasional MEMLOST before it went for a rest.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: The HP41C -- it lives!!
(07-23-2014 09:30 AM)ColinJDenman Wrote:  Now. Any advice on improving contacts on the modules and battery terminals -- the latter show some corrosion on 1 and 3 (looking in as 1234 left to right), although I remember having an occasional MEMLOST before it went for a rest.

Oh, that's easy - get one of Diego Diaz's replacement flexible PCB's to wrap around the connector block in your 41. I brought my 41CV back from the dead with one - see pix here, on Google+.

Congratulations! There is nothing quite like the 41C!

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-23-2014, 10:04 AM
(07-23-2014 09:45 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  Oh, that's easy - get one of Diego Diaz's replacement flexible PCB's to wrap around the connector block in your 41. I brought my 41CV back from the dead with one - see pix here, on Google+.

Congratulations! There is nothing quite like the 41C!

I do agree witht that last sentiment. Thanks for the info, it looks interesting if a bit daunting.
Find all posts by this user
07-23-2014, 10:57 AM
(07-23-2014 10:04 AM)ColinJDenman Wrote:  I do agree with that last sentiment. Thanks for the info, it looks interesting if a bit daunting.

I can understand that; the PCB sat in my desk drawer for much longer than I dare admit before I plucked up courage to perform the surgery. I didn't get the PCB as sharply creased or as neatly folded around the connector block as the instructions showed, but it works perfectly. So it can't be that hard!

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)