41 SwapDisk inventory?
07-17-2014, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 06:51 PM by Ángel Martin.)
41 SwapDisk inventory?
'been looking around the 41 Swap Disk programs and wonder if anybody has made an inventory of some sort for all those hundreds of routines. Mind you, it's a formidable jigsaw puzzle to attempt without any other guidance that the program listings...

The collection seems to have several sources, but it's interesting to see how many are in french, almost as if it was a main source for them. There sure must be some rhyme & reason amongst all that apparent chaos...

The HELP41 routine lists the name "M. Cracknell" as the compiler of the collection, is he still around perhaps?

FWIW, I've dome some sorting and grouping of the programs that I'll post shortly - also was intrigued by a seemingly intended collection of routines dealing with MCODE assembly and dis-assembly (yes, you heard right: in FOCAL!). Remarkable attempt, but very difficult to pierce them all together without instructions...

In case you don't believe it, take a look at the attached MOD file for V41 - straight port of the routines.

Any info would be great.

Cheers,
'AM

Attached File(s)
.zip  focal_assy.zip (Size: 4.39 KB / Downloads: 17)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: 41 SwapDisk inventory?
'M Cracknell' is almost certainly Mark Cracknell who was on the HPCC committee. Unfortunately he was killed in a car accident in the early 1990s, so there is no hope of contacting him now :-(

I assume you've been through back issues of Datafile, just in case the routines get mentioned somewhere.
07-18-2014, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2014 05:46 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(07-17-2014 08:30 PM)Tony Duell Wrote:  I assume you've been through back issues of Datafile, just in case the routines get mentioned somewhere.

Yes I've seen a couple of short references to the Swapdisks, apparently Mark Power continued them after the sad event... but haven´t found any attempt to index their contents or have an inventory.

Will see how far I can get during the week-end, many of those routines have calls to others so at the very least I think we can identify the "clusters" they belong to. BTW I´m using the copy posted at TOS, not sure that's the latest or greatest but it's the only one I have access to.
07-18-2014, 06:47 PM
(07-18-2014 05:45 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  ... but it's the only one I have access to.

You don't have access to this archive: ftp://ftp.hpmuseum.org/lif/swap/?
07-18-2014, 07:01 PM
(07-18-2014 06:47 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(07-18-2014 05:45 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  ... but it's the only one I have access to.

You don't have access to this archive: ftp://ftp.hpmuseum.org/lif/swap/?

And potentially even more swap disks as LIF images in ftp://ftp.hpmuseum.org/hpswap/.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
07-18-2014, 08:22 PM
What makes the /lif/swap/ files useful is that many of them are in text format making it easy to find references, like this file from Mark Cracknell and listings of the directory contents.
I find both useful, but the LIF image directory has more files.

Dave
07-19-2014, 04:22 AM
Thanks Dave and Mark for the pointers ' I didn't have those before. The available clues in the file names are very helpful (machine & category), but what I'm missing is a sort of index or rationalized inventory to "navigate" all those many entries and programs.

Incidentally the set available at TOS is an extract with all (?) the 41 files, as you'd expect given the focused nature of that site. So maybe what I should do is search in the 71/75 contents for text files describing the 41 material...

Cheers,\'AM
04-08-2015, 05:00 PM
There may be some new developments with disks 1 thru 5 soon.

Bwa, ha, ha, ha !!!

Wink

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)