Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement
04-25-2022, 06:03 PM
Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement
In this video we fit a new replacement LCD in a Tandy PC-3 which is the same as the Sharp PC-1250/51/55. Thankfully Robert Baruch is reproducing the LCDs for these vintage pocket computers as well as the TRS-80 PC-1 / Sharp PC-1211 and Sharp PC-1246. The link to the LCDs are in the video description. Many thanks to Robert for getting these reproduced. They look great!

We’ll try a different method to separate the old LCD glass from the adhesive on the metal frame. We’ll try using a hotplate to soften the glue rather than acetone. Will it work? If so it should save hours of waiting. Join us and see how we made out.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2022, 01:05 PM
RE: Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement
Nice, I should probably order one of these and the PC-1211 version to have on hand. Amazingly, my PC-3 and both of my PC-1211s still have pristine LCDs, but given their age, you never know when they could suddenly take a turn for the worse. Doesn't look too hard to install.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2022, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2022 01:21 PM by blackjetrock.)
i think they are a better display with greater contrast, too. They are definitely not like-for-like.

Are you in the UK? I may have one of each i can sell to you. Buying one from Robert is pretty expensive due to the shipping. I bought a couple of each more than I needed in case anyone in the UK wanted one.

You can see them here:

https://youtu.be/LLbRHuMXJIs

Andrew
04-29-2022, 01:27 PM
(04-29-2022 01:18 PM)blackjetrock Wrote:  i think they are a better display with greater contrast, too. They are definitely not like-for-like.

Are you in the UK? I may have one of each i can sell to you. Buying one from Robert is pretty expensive due to the shipping. I bought a couple of each more than I needed in case anyone in the UK wanted one.

You can see them here:

https://youtu.be/LLbRHuMXJIs

Andrew

I am in the US, so shipping for a pair is only about $5. Thanks though!

I will probably just keep these on hand in case anything happens to my Sharps, or if I find a great deal on a for-parts machine. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2022, 01:34 PM
(04-29-2022 01:05 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Nice, I should probably order one of these and the PC-1211 version to have on hand. Amazingly, my PC-3 and both of my PC-1211s still have pristine LCDs, but given their age, you never know when they could suddenly take a turn for the worse. Doesn't look too hard to install.

I'll have a video on the PC-1 / PC-1211 LCD replacement and printer/cassette interface refurb out in the next week too Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)