HP41 open source modules?
04-16-2022, 04:31 AM
HP41 open source modules?
Please, are there any open source HP41 modules around? I would like to have a Clonix / NoV-64 module, but they're too expensive for me, and building something similar by myself might be a less expensive alternative. An schematic and a bill of materials would be a great start!

Is there any option available? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2022, 05:40 AM
RE: HP41 open source modules?
A good start point would be to search for "Clonix 41" on the HP-41 site we cannot name here.
04-16-2022, 12:53 PM
To possibly save you a lot of time, some comments to consider:

There are no sources for the connector, other than to scavenge one from another; unless you have a dead one to use, acquiring another one will cost you close to $50 at least.

Lots of people have made posts similar to this, but to date, I've not seen anyone ever announce successful completion. This doesn't man it can't be done, simply that no one has confirmed it can. It would seem if someone went to all the effort to do this, and succeeded, they would announce they had done so.

Though agreeably not inexpensive, the Clonix / Nov-64d modules are mature, robust, and have a thriving set of users and support here in the Forum.

"Expensive" is relative IMHO. If the goal is to learn to create something, it may be worth trying, however if the goal is to use an HP-41 with all the 500+ modules available, I'd reconsider Diego's modules.

Good luck either way.

--Bob Prosperi
04-16-2022, 02:25 PM
Thank you, Didier! I'll try to find the resources you pointed.

And thanks for the heads up, Bob! Your comment about the connector is very important, this is the kind of thing I have to know before starting any adventure like this.

When I say Diego's modules are expensive, I don't mean they're not worth the money. It's just that, in my case, I would like to improve a collection calculator and learn something in the process, while having fun with some soldering. It's much more about a DIY project, than about turning my HP41CV into a more powerful machine!
04-16-2022, 02:25 PM
Diego's modules are totally worth the price, doing it yourself will cost you more, plus a lot of time. To play with modules at no cost at all I would start with a PC-based emulator like V41, which is open source and nearly all modules work with it.

Regards, Meindert
04-21-2022, 04:57 PM
Hi Marcovecchio, all,

I'll assume that you've got the required soldering skills to build a Clonix/d on your own. Not that hard indeed.

Some users have built Clonix (and even a NoVRAM) modules in the past for their own use, I'm perfectly ok with it and I've helped them with technicall details when required.

Let's point out however that the overall cost is pretty similar to the price tag of my own modules if not higher.

Anyhow, if you want to experiment on yourself please do not hesitate in mailing me to clonix41 (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll gladly provide with further support.

Best wishes.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
04-21-2022, 09:55 PM
Wow, thank you very much, Diego! Smile

I have the skills and equipment, and I have been checking IC costs and things like that, and indeed, they're not cheap, so I really believe the prices you ask are very fair.

I thank you very, very much for the help you offer! I'll email you for sure, and when I understand the needed parts and effort involved, I may decide which is the best route to follow.

Many thanks!

Eduardo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)