Battery level
04-09-2022, 10:57 PM
Battery level
Sorry about all of the questions recently folks, but I have grown to appreciate the HP Prime as a great device for programming on the go, I much prefer buttons over touch screen of a mobile phone, and the high level language over android. There are probably some programming limitations, but there are ways around them, and the speed of the processor on the G2 seems to negate any problems brought about by the necessity for intense processing.

Is there a way to read the battery level outright? Not to get a 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% result like reading the visual meter gives?

I come from a background of PEEKing and POKEing the memory of a computer with the memory map being explained to the user and therefore, not having to ask so many questions.

I realise it will seem annoying to have so many live questions at one time on a forum, but, I only seek to learn, and with that knowledge, create.

Please help me by answering my questions, if you can :-).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2022, 11:45 PM
RE: Battery level
I found this by searching for “battery” in this forum (it helps to know that it is there):

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8565.html

Good luck!
04-11-2022, 03:56 PM
(04-09-2022 11:45 PM)DGM Wrote:  I found this by searching for “battery” in this forum (it helps to know that it is there):

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8565.html

Good luck!

Just my 2 cents, almost everything said on that thread refers to the HP Prime OS that's running on the Prime G1. There's no hardware limitation to 4 steps, the OS must've set that limit by software. The battery voltage is being fed to the ADC, so you can get a 10-bit reading and calibrate it appropriately, either to percentage or to actual Volts.
This is on the G1 version of the Prime, I don't know the G2 but I imagine it's wired in a similar way.
04-11-2022, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2022 04:19 PM by Claudio L..)
(04-09-2022 10:57 PM)matalog Wrote:  Sorry about all of the questions recently folks, but I have grown to appreciate the HP Prime as a great device for programming on the go, I much prefer buttons over touch screen of a mobile phone, and the high level language over android. There are probably some programming limitations, but there are ways around them, and the speed of the processor on the G2 seems to negate any problems brought about by the necessity for intense processing.

Is there a way to read the battery level outright? Not to get a 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% result like reading the visual meter gives?

I come from a background of PEEKing and POKEing the memory of a computer with the memory map being explained to the user and therefore, not having to ask so many questions.

I realise it will seem annoying to have so many live questions at one time on a forum, but, I only seek to learn, and with that knowledge, create.

Please help me by answering my questions, if you can :-).

If you can get your hands on an older G1 Prime and install newRPL, you get PEEK and POKE commands, and free access to the hardware, the memory map is well documented by Samsung. And you have access to the source code of all the drivers in newRPL, doesn't get any closer to the metal than this.
The HP Prime G1 has an OS by Besta that will get in your way, and you can't POKE your way around from the high level language. If you already have a G2, same thing: I think I read somewhere the OS is FreeRTOS, but can't confirm that. And the Prime application won't let you do much of anything to the hardware.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)