Saving to Cassette on Casio Z-1GR?
04-08-2022, 03:04 AM
Saving to Cassette on Casio Z-1GR?
I have a Casio Z-1GR and the FA-6 interface unit. What is the command to save a BASIC program to cassette? I tried SAVE "filename" but I get an NR error (device not ready) I tried just SAVE alone but I get a BF error (improper filename)

There shouldn't be any feedback from a cassette interface while trying to write so I don't think the NR error refers to it which means there must be another command to use the cassette. I don't have the original Japanese manual, just a partial English translation which omits any mention of saving to cassette.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2022, 03:07 AM
RE: Saving to Cassette on Casio Z-1GR?
(04-08-2022 03:04 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I tried SAVE "filename" but I get an NR error (device not ready) I tried just SAVE alone but I get a BF error (improper filename)

Try it without the quotes?

--Bob Prosperi
04-08-2022, 04:58 AM
(04-08-2022 03:07 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-08-2022 03:04 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I tried SAVE "filename" but I get an NR error (device not ready) I tried just SAVE alone but I get a BF error (improper filename)

Try it without the quotes?

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, leaving off the quotes gives a TM (type mismatch) error so I guess it's expecting a quoted string.

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-08-2022, 05:42 AM
Using my feeble brain, tried to remember cassette tape usage on the original Apple II, IBM 5150 PC and other older machines I have used, for comparison. Originally was going to suggest dropping a filename altogether. But you did that and got an error.

As I recall once diskette drives came out a lot of manufacturers dropped cassette support. I'm not familiar with Casio's, so have no idea.

Some machines used CLOAD and CSAVE with or without quoted filenames. Those without, you had to remember where on the tape the file was.

A couple of sources on the net might be useful to you:
-- https://manualzz.com/doc/2011217/basic-comparison-sheet
which covers the syntax of BASIC on a bunch of different machines.

The comparison sheet makes reference to (via link-click, not direct URL string):
-- http://www.mvcsys.de/doc/casioutil.html#mozTocId992705
a website by Marcus vonCube, the same as on here, I believe. The link gives you stuff in English, but his website is in German. However, it has an English version button.

His file states the Z-1 and FX-890P lack a tape interface. However, by using a bas850 source text translator (a program he provides on his site?) you can use cassettes via a serial or USB interface. Whether those interfaces utilize the FA-6, it didn't mention. But I didn't read the whole thing.

Marcus's site has a bunch of BASIC stuff, which is where the comparison sheet appears to come from.

Maybe that helps.
04-08-2022, 01:23 PM
(04-08-2022 05:42 AM)Duane Hess Wrote:  As I recall once diskette drives came out a lot of manufacturers dropped cassette support. I'm not familiar with Casio's, so have no idea.

The comparison sheet makes reference to (via link-click, not direct URL string):
-- http://www.mvcsys.de/doc/casioutil.html#mozTocId992705
a website by Marcus vonCube, the same as on here, I believe. The link gives you stuff in English, but his website is in German. However, it has an English version button.

His file states the Z-1 and FX-890P lack a tape interface. However, by using a bas850 source text translator (a program he provides on his site?) you can use cassettes via a serial or USB interface. Whether those interfaces utilize the FA-6, it didn't mention. But I didn't read the whole thing.
Maybe that helps.

It does help. You're right about dropping support for cassette. At that point, Casio had come out with a 3.5" floppy drive and in the Z-1, SAVE works only with that and the RS-232. The floppy is almost impossible to find these days. Bummer!

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)