Emulator Bug
03-30-2022, 07:26 PM
Emulator Bug
Taking the difference of integrals will result in Error, both in Home and CAS modes. Flavio alerted me by email.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2022, 03:11 PM
RE: Emulator Bug
(03-30-2022 07:26 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Taking the difference of integrals will result in Error, both in Home and CAS modes. Flavio alerted me by email.

Differences of integrals seem to be working fine for me. I'm not sure if this is what's happening, but a common error is to forget to move out of the dx field before entering the rest of the expression. After entering the variable in the d_ field, press the right arrow to move out of that field and then enter the rest of the expression. See if that helps.
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2022, 12:59 AM
(03-31-2022 03:11 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  
(03-30-2022 07:26 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Taking the difference of integrals will result in Error, both in Home and CAS modes. Flavio alerted me by email.

Differences of integrals seem to be working fine for me. I'm not sure if this is what's happening, but a common error is to forget to move out of the dx field before entering the rest of the expression. After entering the variable in the d_ field, press the right arrow to move out of that field and then enter the rest of the expression. See if that helps.

I tried do that and it did not help.

It's frustrating to see the HP Prime being plagued with so many bugs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2022, 03:59 AM
It's pretty obvious that the Prime wasn't ready for "prime time" (pun intended) when it was released. Users have been beta testers since it was released. HP didn't seem to care, as they retasked Tim and Cyrille to work on mice. They undoubtedly worked very hard with the limited time they were allowed by HP.

Now, HP has washed their hands of their calculator line. Will the third party company improve the situation? It doesn't look promising right now - dead Prime links on their webpage, no operating system updates posted yet - nothing tangible has happened. I suppose we'll all stay tuned to see what happens next...
04-05-2022, 11:16 AM
I use Algebraic input, so this bug not an issue for me.
However, I discovered HP Prime emulator REWRITE my input !

CAS> k := 1
CAS> (k *= 4) - 1

From the INPUT side, it shown multcrement(k,4)-1, which seems OK
However, if I copy/paste this, I get back multcrement(k,4-1)
In other words, I get back k *= 4 - 1, without the bracket.
05-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Another bug (same for both CAS and XCAS)

CAS> x := 12
CAS> x /= 2*3      → 18 (not 2 ?)
CAS> x                  → 6 (not 2 ?)

/= had unexpected high precedence. "x /= 2*3" parsed as "(x /= 2) * 3"
05-08-2022, 09:21 PM
(05-08-2022 11:56 AM)Albert Chan Wrote:  Another bug (same for both CAS and XCAS)

I'd expect the results the Prime gets since division and multiplication are performed left to right.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-08-2022, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2022 10:33 PM by ijabbott.)
(05-08-2022 09:21 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(05-08-2022 11:56 AM)Albert Chan Wrote:  Another bug (same for both CAS and XCAS)

I'd expect the results the Prime gets since division and multiplication are performed left to right.

Based on common usage in 'C' like languages, I would expect /= to have the same precedence as simple assignment.

I think we can at least agree that the manuals do a lousy job at documenting operator precedence and associativity.

— Ian Abbott
05-09-2022, 12:01 PM
(05-08-2022 10:31 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I think we can at least agree that the manuals do a lousy job at documenting operator precedence and associativity.

That's why I like the APL approach to precedence: Expressions are evaluated right to left, altered only by parentheses. Nothing complicated to memorize!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-09-2022, 12:29 PM
"That's why I like the APL approach to precedence: Expressions are evaluated right to left, altered only by parentheses. Nothing complicated to memorize! "

It is hard enough memorizing all the weird symbols for the operators!
05-09-2022, 06:06 PM
(05-08-2022 10:31 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(05-08-2022 09:21 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I'd expect the results the Prime gets since division and multiplication are performed left to right.

Based on common usage in 'C' like languages, I would expect /= to have the same precedence as simple assignment.

I think we can at least agree that the manuals do a lousy job at documenting operator precedence and associativity.

Luckily, I'm a COBOL/Fortran/BASIC programmer, then! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-09-2022, 08:10 PM
(05-09-2022 12:29 PM)KeithB Wrote:  
(05-09-2022 12:01 PM)mfleming Wrote:  That's why I like the APL approach to precedence: Expressions are evaluated right to left, altered only by parentheses. Nothing complicated to memorize!

Perhaps you would be interested in J.

— Ian Abbott
05-10-2022, 11:50 AM
(05-09-2022 12:29 PM)KeithB Wrote:  "That's why I like the APL approach to precedence: Expressions are evaluated right to left, altered only by parentheses. Nothing complicated to memorize! "

Agreed. APL is a lifetime learning language for us crusty old procedural programmers. J is nice, but gosh how verbose Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)