Poll: What do you prefer?
This poll is closed.
Layout a) 50.00% 21 50.00%
Layout b) 50.00% 21 50.00%
Total 42 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[43S] Let's try a poll on the new forum :-)
02-04-2014, 07:59 PM
RE: [43S] Let's try a poll on the new forum :-)
There will be integers on the 43S - though no integer mode. I.e. we'll have a data type "integer" (actually two data types, but that's another story).

Logic operations are in the menu BITS (containing a submenu BITFCN):

Call BITS once, then press e.g. [F2] for Boole's OR. BITS will stay on screen until another menu is called.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
I know there won't be much information on hardware before day X but I also saw that you guys plan to design the keyboard yourself. Bearing in mind that a good keyboard is a must that makes a huge difference between calculators and knowing that the 30b was not exactly good, I was wondering if we could envisage a proper 34s keyboard (or keys?) as a proof of concept for the 43s? Or may be even a re-casing project for the 34s? I know I'm a bit 43s off topic now but just wondering if that was ever envisaged...
02-05-2014, 01:55 AM
(02-04-2014 07:59 PM)walter b Wrote:  There will be integers on the 43S - though no integer mode. I.e. we'll have a data type "integer" (actually two data types, but that's another story).
So what keypresses would be needed to enter or view numbers in base 2, 8 or 16?

What are the two integer types? Would different signed number representations still be supported as on the WP 34S?
02-05-2014, 06:21 AM
(02-05-2014 01:55 AM)Bit Wrote:  So what keypresses would be needed to enter or view numbers in base 2, 8 or 16?

10011 [BASE] 2
377 [BASE] 8
A5FC [BASE] 16

Quote:What are the two integer types? Would different signed number representations still be supported as on the WP 34S?

a) Infinite and finite integers, b) yes.

02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Sir,

Please allow me to remind you that the WP 34S as well as the 43S are hobbyist's projects. All of us have regular jobs to earn a living - relying on the WP 34S we would have starved for long. Remember we started that repurposing project out of frustration about HP's calculator policy focussing on financial pockect calculators and scientific battleships. We were happy that we had got at least a HP-20b we could start with - we're in no way keen on reinventing the HW wheel.

Now the HP-30b is better than the HP-20b keyboard-wise, so we're even happier. If it had a reasonable display, too, our happiness would raise to new heights. Alas, it hasn't. The display turned out to be a limiting factor in the WP 34S project.

So we rejoiced when we heard of the "scaled reptiles" since they will overcome said display limit. I'm quite confident that Eric and Richard very well know the parameters of a good keyboard. For sure they will treat us to the best keyboard they can make within their cost limit. If you have access to a significant pool of money and manpower, I modestly suggest you move it to them; else, however, don't expect you'll ever see such a re-casing of the WP 34S for the reasons mentioned above.

Thank you very much for your kind understanding.

d:-I
02-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Some news
Please look here for the news from our HW folks.

03-03-2014, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 05:05 PM by BarryMead.)
Option A for me. Cleaner and simpler not only looks better, but is easier to use.
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
(02-26-2014 07:02 AM)walter b Wrote:  Please look here for the news from our HW folks.

I'm a bit confused as to where discussion about the HW / SW on the 43S takes place. Is there a particular preferred thread or something?

Anyway, I've accumulated some questions on reading the various threads:

HW:

a) which processor is being used? I only read something like "an ARM-based SOIC". I'm used to programming the Broadcom BCM2835 (on the Raspberry Pi) (which is pretty weird for an ARM chip) in assembler. I was pleased to see that the hardware the 34S is based on uses an Atmel ARM microcontroller, as I'm familiar with those and really like Atmel documentation.

b) will the 43S use keys scavenged from current HP calculators, or what? Even if not, does anyone know which current HP calc has the nicest keys? HP 12C, 12C platinum, 15C LtdEd, 35s?

c) what is the display being used? It sounds really nice.

d) does the HW team have (access to) a 3D printer or CNC milling machine?

SW:

a) regarding the exponent issue :-) I too prefer E to EXP or EEX or (god forbid) 10x -- it's unambiguous and less cluttered (and used on the 42S).

Regarding the display (in combination with complex numbers)...

How about 123.4 - 3.141,5102i rather than 123.4 - i3.141 5•102.
03-25-2014, 03:37 PM
(03-25-2014 11:26 AM)colinh Wrote:  SW

a) regarding the exponent issue :-) I too prefer E to EXP or EEX or (god forbid) 10x -- it's unambiguous and less cluttered (and used on the 42S).

Regarding the display (in combination with complex numbers)...

How about 123.4 - 3.141,5102i rather than 123.4 - i3.141 5•102.

Answer to SW a): We had a poll about that many months ago. I was happy saving +/- from being replaced by CHS at that time ...

Answer to SW b): That's viable as well. We'll follow ISO 31-0 using a narrow blank for digit group separation to avoid misunderstandings. I don't remember why we chose the complex format with the heading i. It's easily changed anyway ...

03-26-2014, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 07:52 AM by sa-penguin.)
(03-25-2014 11:26 AM)colinh Wrote:  HW:

a) which processor is being used? I only read something like "an ARM-based SOIC". I'm used to programming the Broadcom BCM2835 (on the Raspberry Pi) (which is pretty weird for an ARM chip) in assembler. I was pleased to see that the hardware the 34S is based on uses an Atmel ARM microcontroller, as I'm familiar with those and really like Atmel documentation.

I'm not a part of the HW team, but I've looked up some parts - and zoomed in on some posted pictures. With that in mind:

a) Look at the "Giant Gecko" series from EFM32 [now owned by SI Labs]. Very low power consumption:
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/lowpo...gecko.aspx

c) Judging by pixel dimensions [400 x 240], it sounds like the screen is a 2.7 inch Sharp Memory LCD:
http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/2-7-inch-memory-lcd.html
03-26-2014, 05:38 PM
a) which processor is being used?

b) will the 43S use keys scavenged from current HP calculators, or what?

[/quote]

sa-penguin is correct about the processor and the display. He has really good eyes and the pictures are better than I thought. :-)

The switches used are really small surface mount tactile ones made by Alps (SKRPAB E010). They feel good even under the photographic overlay of the prototype calculators.

The display isn't just really nice, it is outstanding. No other way to describe it. :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)