HP 50g Restore Trouble
02-09-2022, 01:57 PM
HP 50g Restore Trouble
Hello all!
Long time user of HPs (since 1995), first time posting here.

Long story short, I am having trouble restoring backed-up info from an SD to a 50g. The backed-up files have been unchanged for years and has always worked but now its not.

On a clean HP (ON+F1+F6 reset), when I perform a RESTORE(:3:MYPROGRAM) and hit ENTER, I keep getting a syntax error highlighting the first colon. I have never had this issue in the past and now that I need to setup a calculator for a new hire, it's going bonkers.

I have tried restoring the file from my original SD card that has always worked.
I also have an archived copy of the program on a file server. I put the archived file on a newly formatted SD card (I used Format *: /FS:FAT /V:HP49GSD /A:8192 to format it in windows) and it too fails at the same point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2022, 05:10 AM
RE: HP 50g Restore Trouble
A syntax error with the cursor on the first colon means that you are attempting to execute a command in Algebraic syntax when the 50g is in RPN mode. Solution: Either stay in RPN mode (suggested!) and execute :3:MYPROGRAM RESTORE or change to Algebraic mode and execute RESTORE(:3:MYPROGRAM).

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2022, 01:39 PM
RE: HP 50g Restore Trouble
(02-10-2022 05:10 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  A syntax error with the cursor on the first colon means that you are attempting to execute a command in Algebraic syntax when the 50g is in RPN mode. Solution: Either stay in RPN mode (suggested!) and execute :3:MYPROGRAM RESTORE or change to Algebraic mode and execute RESTORE(:3:MYPROGRAM).

I knew I came to the right place for a solution. This was exactly what I was looking for and I learned something new! I always started off in Algebraic mode then switched to RPN after all my steps were complete. I didn't even notice I was already in RPN and was obviously lost from there. Thank you so much, I have also updated my notes for a future reference.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)