Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
01-09-2022, 08:01 PM
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
New update:

1. Fixed memory corruption bug in whole-directory copying.
2. Global label searches from running programs now start from the directory where the running program resides, rather than the current directory. (Global label searches when GTO or XEQ are executed from the keyboard still start from the current directory.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2022, 05:06 PM
New update:

1. PRALL function. This prints a recursive, but very terse, list of all directories and their contents.
2. Various minor bug fixes.
01-11-2022, 11:07 AM
New update:

1. More robust I%YR solution.
2. Fixed crash when deleting directory in use by current program.
3. Ohm is now Ω.
01-11-2022, 11:42 PM
Not a new update, but I updated the documentation post in this thread, collecting several posts so all the Plus42 functionality that exists so far is covered in a single place. The post is here.
01-12-2022, 08:49 AM
Hi,

Many thanks, it is very usefull.

Gérard.
Find all posts by this user
01-12-2022, 06:47 PM
New update. Only changes under the hood this time:

The way EDITN and INDEX kept track of which matrix they were working on needed revisiting. Merely keeping track of the name is no longer enough when you have directories. So, now it keeps track of the matrix name *and* the directory where it resides, or, for local variables, the stack level.

With this information, it is no longer necessary to deal with the situation where LSTO creates a variable that hides the currently edited/indexed matrix. EDITN and INDEX can still find it, even if it is hidden. And they can now also find it, even if the user used CHDIR while editing.

The logic for saving IJ on the stack when a local matrix is edited or indexed is still there; that's not meant to deal with the edited matrix being hidden, but to deal with a subroutine being able to edit a local matrix without interfering with INDEX state in the caller.

To make a long story short: lots of changes, but you shouldn't notice anything, other than that changing directories will no longer confuse EDITN and INDEX, and they will happily keep working, even if the matrix they are working on has been hidden by LSTO.

Apart from whatever bugs still need to be fixed, this should be the last update before work starts on the big display...
01-15-2022, 07:01 PM
New update:

1. Big screen. But only for the Mac, so far! Versions for the other operating systems will be added over the next week or so.
01-15-2022, 10:52 PM
(01-15-2022 07:01 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  New update:
1. Big screen. But only for the Mac, so far! Versions for the other operating systems will be added over the next week or so.

I'll have to wait then. It looks based on the RPL machines with a directory indicator. Are the 140 - 145 line numbers within a program?
01-15-2022, 11:32 PM
(01-15-2022 10:52 PM)johanw Wrote:  I'll have to wait then.

Not very long, I hope.
With the previous changes, all the work was in the core, that is, the OS-independent part, so whenever I had something new to share, all I had to do was run five builds. But this time, there are changes in the shell as well, and those have to be done five times, so it takes a while. Fortunately, they are relatively minor.

(01-15-2022 10:52 PM)johanw Wrote:  It looks based on the RPL machines with a directory indicator.

Yep. You can turn it off if you'd rather use that line for another stack level or program line.
I may add other status indicators to it later, but for now it's just the current directory path.

(01-15-2022 10:52 PM)johanw Wrote:  Are the 140 - 145 line numbers within a program?

Yes. In view of a certain recurring discussion about multi-line program editing, I wanted to highlight the fact that Plus42 inserts the new line, does not overlay any existing lines, and renumbers the following lines, even as it the new line is being entered.
01-16-2022, 12:12 AM
BTW, how about skins for the Android and iOS versions? Will they have to be adapted?
01-16-2022, 12:33 AM
I am planning, eventually, to add a feature to automatically stretch the display area of existing skins, on the fly. That would allow using most of the existing Free42 skins. But I don't have time for that right now, so for now, taking advantage of the big display capabilities of Plus42 will require using modified skins like the one in the picture.

For what it's worth, it took about half an hour to create that skin. I added 80 pixels to stretch the display area, filled the gap by tiling the surrounding bit of skin a couple of times, and updated the y coordinates in the layout file. This really should be an automatic procedure, but it's not too awful to do by hand.
01-16-2022, 03:01 AM
(01-16-2022 12:33 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  This really should be an automatic procedure, but it's not too awful to do by hand.

Thanks, this would give me some time to adapt.

Now the difficult question: how about the landscape skins? Or landscape mode at all? Could the screen area get put in 2-column mode?
01-16-2022, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 07:21 AM by Thomas Okken.)
(01-16-2022 03:01 AM)johanw Wrote:  Now the difficult question: how about the landscape skins? Or landscape mode at all? Could the screen area get put in 2-column mode?

It looks like most of the landscape skins on my site could be modified using the same procedure. Only the ones that put something next to the display are a problem, which unfortunately includes SGS-L, which I use as the built-in landscape skin in the Android and iOS versions, and HP-Mega-42. But the others could be stretched automatically. All that would be needed is to add a hint to the layout file, which strip can be used for tiling, i.e. just provide two y coordinates, indicating where to make the cut and how many vertical pixels can safely be tiled.

The code changes to do this in the Plus42 shells aren't actually very complicated. I just haven't figured out yet how to deal with this in terms of letting the user control the screen size interactively. I'll think about that after the basic, static, big screen support is done, since that needs to be done anyway.

There's no danger of Plus42 mistakenly using a landscape skin in 2-column mode. When Android and iOS are in landscape mode, to an app this looks like the screen is now really a landscape screen, so the coordinate axes are rotated to match the new orientation. This makes landscape mode easy to support, the developer just has to deal with how the layout has to be made to fit, but not with how to address the physical screen pixels; that last part is handled by the OS.
01-16-2022, 08:30 AM
For a really satisfying user interface, there is actually another challenge. Plus42 doesn't just support taller displays now, but also wider ones, i.e. the 22 columns are no longer hard-coded, either. How should the UI allow the user control the display width?
01-16-2022, 11:36 AM
New update:

1. Big screen now for Android as well as Mac.
2. Fixed crash in the Mac version.
01-16-2022, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 12:27 PM by johanw.)
When I use the Android version with an existing skin it looks just the same as before so at least it does not break current setups. For landscape view there are no solutions with a larger screen yet afaik. For lansacape, it now almost feels like my DM42.
01-16-2022, 01:40 PM
New update:

1. Big screen now also for Linux and Windows.
01-16-2022, 02:14 PM
Is there anything special we need to do for the big screen in android?
I only see the regular one.
Thanks
01-16-2022, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 02:21 PM by johanw.)
(01-16-2022 02:14 PM)nickapos Wrote:  Is there anything special we need to do for the big screen in android?
I only see the regular one.
Thanks

Select the Plus42D skin on Android or the Plus42A skin on windows.
01-17-2022, 05:49 AM
(01-16-2022 02:17 PM)johanw Wrote:  Select the Plus42D skin on Android or the Plus42A skin on windows.

Got it cheers

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)