Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
06-19-2022, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2022 10:16 PM by Thomas Okken.)
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
The behavior of SIZE and STO nn etc. is designed to allow legacy programs to use a shared REGS regardless of which directory they're in. But if you specifically want a separate REGS in a subdirectory, you can create it explicitly: size 1 DIM "REGS", or size 1 NEWMAT STO "REGS".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2022, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2022 10:53 PM by Ajaja.)
Yes, I get it. Even simple RCL "REGS" STO "REGS" creates local copy of REGS and programs begin to work with local copy of REGS. That may also unintentionally break REGS sharing for legacy programs if you run them from different folders. I don't know, but still feel like SIZE should have the same behavior as STO "REGS" just for consistency. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

BWT, I think I've just found one minor interface bug. STO in sub-directory does not show the screen menu (with named variables including REGS) as it does in HOME.
Find all posts by this user
06-19-2022, 11:03 PM
That's intentional. Variables in directories other than the current directory are read-only, and so functions that create or modify variables, like STO, CLV, ISG, etc., show a menu with only variables from the current directory.
06-19-2022, 11:50 PM
Understood.
But there is still something strange. If there are no variables sometimes after pressing STO appears CATALOG menu (FCN PGN ...) instead of no menu at all.
Looks like this sequence reproduces this issue all the time:
CLALL
EQN NEW "X=1" ENTER CALC "X" EXIT EXIT (from EQN menu completely)
CRDIR "T" DIR "T" EXIT (from DIR menu)
STO
06-20-2022, 10:02 AM
Confirmed. I'll look into it!

UPDATE: The check for whether to show the catalog has an error, it should ignore private variables but it doesn't. I have a fix, but since this is a minor cosmetic issue, I'm not releasing a new update right away.

(Private variables are invisible local variables, and are used for things like storing the state saved by FUNC. The solver also uses them, and in the case at issue here, the private local variables left behind when solving the equation X=1 cause the catalog to appear when STO is pressed later on. If you do RTN before STO, you'll see that the catalog does not appear; this is because RTN clears the RTN stack, and that also causes all local variables to be deleted.)
06-20-2022, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2022 11:20 AM by n3mmr.)
1.0.8 supposedly brought localized Copy & Paste?

What's that?
06-20-2022, 12:16 PM
It means that when you copy or paste numbers, it uses the decimal and thousands separators from the host's regional settings. This means that when you copy the number 1234.56, you'll get 1,234.56 on the clipboard if your locale is set to the U.S., and 1.234,56 when it is set to the Netherlands, for example, and this happens independently of the status of flags 28 and 29.
06-20-2022, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2022 12:49 PM by n3mmr.)
(06-20-2022 12:16 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  It means that when you copy or paste numbers, it uses the decimal and thousands separators from the host's regional settings. This means that when you copy the number 1234.56, you'll get 1,234.56 on the clipboard if your locale is set to the U.S., and 1.234,56 when it is set to the Netherlands, for example, and this happens independently of the status of flags 28 and 29.

Ok.
I wish one could set the thousands separator separately: current local swedish standard is none or "hard space"+none if 4 digits.
The clipboard contents seem to follow that standard, but I mean on the Plus42 display.
06-20-2022, 04:19 PM
The new copy & paste logic does handle space and ' as thousands separators, but applying that level of localization within the calculator itself would open a can of worms that I'm not looking forward to dealing with...
06-20-2022, 07:00 PM
On the other hand, the main source of potential problems with more flexible number formatting are ANUM and S→N, and neither of those are HP-42S functions, so backward compatibility for legacy programs would not be compromised.

Hmmm...

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)