The HP/Royal/Moravia website problems thread
11-06-2021, 04:41 AM
RE: The HP/Royal/Moravia website problems thread
(11-06-2021 02:33 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you're in USA, you link to https://hpofficesupply.com/
If elsewhere, you link to https://hpcalcs.com/

From Nairobi, Kenya it links to https://hpofficesupply.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2021, 08:47 AM
(11-06-2021 02:33 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  When you click it...

If you're in USA, you link to https://hpofficesupply.com/

I'm pretty sure that England isn't in the USA....

— Ian Abbott
11-06-2021, 10:00 AM
(11-06-2021 08:47 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(11-06-2021 02:33 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  When you click it...

If you're in USA, you link to https://hpofficesupply.com/

I'm pretty sure that England isn't in the USA....

Neither Italy is, to my knowledge. :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2021, 12:41 PM
Whoa... I'm just clarifying what the intent of the new "system" for HP's website was supposed to be doing... lol

If I was able to actually fix how things worked on the HP website, I'd have been real busy these past 10 years...

--Bob Prosperi
11-06-2021, 12:51 PM
(11-02-2021 10:50 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  I have sorted the things I noticed by calculator, starting with the Prime:
[list]
[*]The Prime product picture is a G2, as indicated by the key design, and they actually edited the picture of the calculator to give the screen recent firmware.

The keyboard doesn't tell you if the Prime is an original or G2. It was updated a few revisions before the G2 came out. If you look at the back, you can tell because a G2 will have the characters G2 in a circle. There are other differences but that's the easiest to spot for me.

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-21-2021, 07:57 PM
On this link :
https://hpcalcs.com/product/hp-prime-gra...alculator/

I see that the characteristics of the HP Prime are not up-to-date ... The characteristics given here are those of the very first version and not of the current G2.

400Mz, memory, flash memory…
11-22-2021, 02:23 PM
(11-06-2021 08:47 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that England isn't in the USA....

But New England is a town in North Dakota, USA!
B^)

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
08-05-2022, 02:57 PM
At the URL https://hpcalcs.com/manuals/ the Prime manual is a 2015 version that's
not the last version available.
Last version should be the Third Edition December 2017, Document Part Number: 813269-003.
08-05-2022, 09:49 PM
I realized the same yesterday. The only official up-to-date manual I could find was the one installed with the emulator.

Seeing the quality of the manual anyway, it's not very important. I've rarely seen something with such a low standard.
08-05-2022, 11:24 PM
(08-05-2022 09:49 PM)redglyph Wrote:  Seeing the quality of the manual anyway, it's not very important. I've rarely seen something with such a low standard.

Wow, harsh!

The Prime manual is pitifully out of date (3+ years from latest f/w release) and though having 760+ pages, still far from complete, but I'm pretty sure it's easy to find other calculator manuals with lower standards, from completeness, accuracy, scope and many other perspectives as well. It ain't pretty for sure, but far from the ugly duckling of the bunch.... IMHO.

--Bob Prosperi
08-06-2022, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 10:51 AM by redglyph.)
(08-05-2022 11:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Wow, harsh!

The Prime manual is pitifully out of date (3+ years from latest f/w release) and though having 760+ pages, still far from complete, but I'm pretty sure it's easy to find other calculator manuals with lower standards, from completeness, accuracy, scope and many other perspectives as well. It ain't pretty for sure, but far from the ugly duckling of the bunch.... IMHO.

Maybe I've been spoiled with their high-quality standard until the excellent HP-48. And the HP-50g had a pretty good manual set too, but only digital which is really annoying for a calculator.

Is it really a harsh assessment? The device only comes with a quick start guide, and the downloadable UG looks as if they couldn't decide whether to produce a reference or a guide but failing on both sides... and as you said, it is outdated. Important notions such as integrals and diff equations are barely mentioned, it's mostly focused on apps. For example, the 'assume' declaration is only mentioned, the way functions must be used in RPN and how to give them parameters is guess work. Or maybe I missed it, but it's not for want of searching. Most of the info can only be found on the Internet from people who accidentally found how something worked.

And don't get me started on the software itself. As for the hardware, it is good except this silly idea of mounting the display upside down.

The HP Prime had potential but both the software and the manuals are abysmal. Maybe HP was counting on the fact both the firmware and the manuals could be updated to improve them over time, but it's been almost 9 years since the first release. Even the website is terrible, last time I clicked to get more information on the calculator, I was presented with details on a shredder.

We can only hope Moravia Consulting improves things, I'm told there was an important upcoming update. To be honest, I haven't followed who did what between the HP-Moravia transition.

Perhaps other calculators are not better, but it's never a good sign when one is compared to the worst. It's not what I'd expect of a 170€ calculator, nor from HP.
08-06-2022, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 02:00 PM by John Keith.)
The HP that we knew and (mostly) loved has been slowly dying for many years and seems now to have largely come to an end. IMHO there is no reason to keep beating the dead horse. The user community, along with a few smaller companies such as Swiss Micros, continue to come up with improved software and hardware. We need to depend on each other and not waste time hoping that a large multinational corporation will expend time and money to serve a small market of enthusiasts.

This may sound overly pessimistic but it doesn't have to be so. There can be a bright future ahead but we will have to be the ones that create it.
08-07-2022, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2022 01:34 PM by cdmackay.)
I believe the integrated help facility has been kept uptodate; an old version was extracted some years ago and made available. I had hopes of extracting it from the firmware files, but never got around to it…

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
08-08-2022, 10:06 AM
Moravia doesn't look like an international corporation, but I suppose you meant HP.

It's not such much about beating a dead horse than exposing facts and determining what needs improving & fixing, which is what this thread seems to be about. I didn't mince my words, but I won't applaud a botched job either. But true enough, there are positive sides like a very good keyboard (unlike SM's which makes my current 42 pretty much unreliable), a nice touchscreen and a powerful tool.

I still have some hope that Moravia can improve this calculator's software (and manuals), but for that they need feedback, they even asked it explicitly. Smile
08-09-2022, 02:53 PM
(08-08-2022 10:06 AM)redglyph Wrote:  Moravia doesn't look like an international corporation, but I suppose you meant HP.

I still have some hope that Moravia can improve this calculator's software (and manuals), but for that they need feedback, they even asked it explicitly. Smile

They only have to read these forums (fora?) to see what real users want and features we're lacking. If they fail to do so, they shouldn't expect much more help from us.

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-10-2022, 09:11 AM
(08-09-2022 02:53 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(08-08-2022 10:06 AM)redglyph Wrote:  Moravia doesn't look like an international corporation, but I suppose you meant HP.

They only have to read these forums (fora?) to see what real users want and features we're lacking. If they fail to do so, they shouldn't expect much more help from us.

We do read along! Smile

Thanks for the remarks concerning the manual. We've noticed this as well, even before we took over resposibility from HP. Due to all issues around the overtake, supply challenges, new products, software and more, this part has been pushed a bit to the background. But: surely on the radar! The idea is to build a new and updated manual soon, where we are open to help from the community. If you feel like you could support, please mail me at klaas.kuperus@moravia-consulting.com. Thanks for the support and patience. Smile

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
08-10-2022, 08:01 PM
(08-10-2022 09:11 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  We do read along! Smile

Thanks for the remarks concerning the manual. We've noticed this as well, even before we took over resposibility from HP. Due to all issues around the overtake, supply challenges, new products, software and more, this part has been pushed a bit to the background. But: surely on the radar! The idea is to build a new and updated manual soon, where we are open to help from the community. If you feel like you could support, please mail me at klaas.kuperus@moravia-consulting.com. Thanks for the support and patience. Smile

That's reassuring, thanks for popping in! Smile

Sure, the manual isn't the priority, people have managed and complementary documents can be found.

What kind of support would help? More constructive criticism, and suggestions? Do you intend to start from scratch or to build on the HP version?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)