back to school
06-30-2014, 07:38 PM
back to school
Hi all and good evening.
Recently I've been a bit away from the forum, 'cause I spent my free time in the campus of my town, to upgrade my knowledges for job. I'm so glad coming back to the university, even for a few time, that I've no word to explain it...

Again "crunching" numbers, and a way to discover that the teacher has a 42s free emulator on his cellphone: the chance to take out my original one togheter with the older 41c, always her best companion in my briefcase and then to talk about the WP34s project and to show the last "fronteer" of the RPN..

Many of my classmates, expecially the youngest even don't know what RPN means and I think how is it possible for a engineer....., only the teacher used a 41cv "years ago" and remembers when I told him about a "41 SYSTEM", and could not believe when i told him that I rebuilt myself the battery pack i was using today.....Smile

But do you know that nobody in the class heard about the prime calculator?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2014, 07:45 PM
RE: back to school
(06-30-2014 07:38 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Again "crunching" numbers, and a way to discover that the teacher has a 42s free emulator on his cellphone: the chance to take out my original one togheter with the older 41c, always her best companion in my briefcase and then to talk about the WP34s project and to show the last "fronteer" of the RPN..

Thanks for mentioning our baby. Smile

Quote:But do you know that nobody in the class heard about the prime calculator?

Luckily! So they can keep up their high esteem of HP ... Wink

d:-)
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Welcome back, hope you did really enjoy your school time. Wink

But seriously, Aurelio, who (not registered on MoHPC) gets excited by a new calculator nowadays? Sad

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2014, 08:09 PM
(06-30-2014 07:45 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(06-30-2014 07:38 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Again "crunching" numbers, and a way to discover that the teacher has a 42s free emulator on his cellphone: the chance to take out my original one togheter with the older 41c, always her best companion in my briefcase and then to talk about the WP34s project and to show the last "fronteer" of the RPN..

Thanks for mentioning our baby. Smile

Quote:But do you know that nobody in the class heard about the prime calculator?

Luckily! So they can keep up their high esteem of HP ... Wink

And I've not lost the chance to talk about daddies of the baby, and to let the links to sourceforge..of course,
06-30-2014, 08:10 PM
(06-30-2014 07:46 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Welcome back, hope you did really enjoy your school time. Wink

But seriously, Aurelio, who (not registered on MoHPC) gets excited by a new calculator nowadays? Sad

You are right, Massimo....this is the point
07-01-2014, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 05:04 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
School, especially post graduate, what a great feeling. Just submitted my PhD proposal and fingers crossed, it will be accepted!

Good luck Aurelio and enjoy!

Geoff
07-01-2014, 07:01 AM
(07-01-2014 05:04 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Just submitted my PhD proposal ...

Way back when I did such stuff, a PhD ended with writing a thesis and completing (and defending) it in finite time. Does that sound familiar?

07-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes, but I retire soon and the limit is longer then my book will take :-)!
07-01-2014, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 01:16 PM by cdecastro.)
As I recall, the writing of a PhD thesis is best modeled as a memoryless random process with a mean completion time of 2 years. i.e. anytime anyone asks when you'll finish, its always "2 more years" Smile

Regards,
Chris
07-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks - how long does a usual PhD take at your location? Background: that will give an upper limit when your book will be made available. Wink

Please note I didn't talk about proper filing.

07-01-2014, 01:57 PM
(07-01-2014 01:14 PM)cdecastro Wrote:  As I recall, the writing of a PhD thesis is best modeled as a memoryless random process with a mean completion time of 2 years. i.e. anytime anyone asks when you'll finish, its always "2 more years" Smile

Reminds me of the "fusion constant": Anytime anyone asks when nuclear fusion energy will be commercially available, it's always "40 more years" - constantly since the Sixties.

07-01-2014, 06:17 PM
(07-01-2014 01:54 PM)walter b Wrote:  Thanks - how long does a usual PhD take at your location? Background: that will give an upper limit when your book will be made available. Wink

But, then, it will be a book by a PhD!
Its value suddenly increased... Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
(07-01-2014 06:17 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 01:54 PM)walter b Wrote:  Thanks - how long does a usual PhD take at your location? Background: that will give an upper limit when your book will be made available. Wink

But, then, it will be a book by a PhD!

sure! Smile
07-01-2014, 07:36 PM
(07-01-2014 05:04 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  School, especially post graduate, what a great feeling. Just submitted my PhD proposal and fingers crossed, it will be accepted!

Good luck Aurelio and enjoy!

Geoff

Expecially post Smile
07-01-2014, 07:54 PM
(07-01-2014 07:35 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 06:17 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  But, then, it will be a book by a PhD!

sure! Smile

Cool down, ragazzi! He himself wrote:
(07-01-2014 12:41 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  ... I retire soon and the limit is longer then my book will take :-)!

So I concluded we'll really get his book before he gets his PhD. Smile Which gives me hope. And don't you overestimate the book-marketing impact of a PhD (I know people who can tell you). Wink

07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
(07-01-2014 07:54 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 07:35 PM)aurelio Wrote:  sure! Smile

Cool down, ragazzi! He himself wrote:
(07-01-2014 12:41 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  ... I retire soon and the limit is longer then my book will take :-)!

So I concluded we'll really get his book before he gets his PhD. Smile Which gives me hope. And don't you overestimate the book-marketing impact of a PhD (I know people who can tell you). Wink

Oh well, I will settle for a signature by a PhD in β stage... Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

07-02-2014, 01:54 AM
(07-01-2014 05:04 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  School, especially post graduate, what a great feeling. Just submitted my PhD proposal and fingers crossed, it will be accepted!

Oh, dear. Be careful you don't get sucked back into academia! I went back to do a Masters, stayed on for a PhD and now I'm trapped!

Seriously - you'll have a ball; higher education is definitely wasted on the young! What's your proposed topic, if I may ask?

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
07-02-2014, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 06:19 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
You guys are KILLIN me!

Book very soon,

PhD later, MSc was climate change during the past 8400 years (I did that back in 86 before it was the In thing).

PhD, more of the same with temperature analogs for plant species remains. So time to dig out the 26 cards labelled "palynology" for my 41cl!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)