I will not post any emulator related postings any more
09-23-2021, 11:48 AM
RE: I will not post any emulator related postings any more
(09-23-2021 06:06 AM)RMollov Wrote:  So because "rules are rules" you are happy to read endless math teacher's logorea here? How come all of the above became "general stuff" in a pure calculator forum?

The categories of topics that each of the sub-forums is intended for are shown right below each sub-forum's title on the front page. If you would like there to be additional sub-forums, you can always post requests to that effect on the Forum Issues and Administration sub-forum...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2021, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2021 12:04 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

I really fail to see what everybody's problem is? We are all well educated grown-ups who can read. As long as the thread title clearly tells me what the post is about, I will either read it or skip it. I don't have to read postings about mathematics or emulators if I don't want to. And deciding whether or not to open a thread is a matter of a split second. No major amounts of lifetime wasted.

Anyway, I only look into those subforums where I usually find stuff that I am interested in. The general forum is one of these. If postings get moved from there to subforums for whatever reason, then chances are high taht I will miss them completely. Which would be more of a loss for me than having to skip over a mathematical lecture or some Python stuff. So my plea would be to rather leave "doubtful" postings where the autor chose to put them rather than move them to an obscure subforum :-)

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
09-23-2021, 12:09 PM
(09-23-2021 12:03 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

I really fail to see what everybody's problem is? We are all well educated grown-ups who can read. As long as the thread title clearly tells me what the post is about, I will either read it or skip it. I don't have to read postings about mathematics or emulators if I don't want to. And deciding whether or not to open a thread is a matter of a split second. No major amounts of lifetime wasted.

Anyway, I only look into those subforums where I usually find stuff that I am interested in. The general forum is one of these. If postings get moved from there to subforums for whatever reason, then chances are high taht I will miss them completely. Which would be more of a loss for me than having to skip over a mathematical lecture or some Python stuff. So my plea would be to rather leave "doubtful" postings where the autor chose to put them rather than move them to an obscure subforum :-)

Regards
Max

Where is the "like" button? Big Grin

-Bill
09-23-2021, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2021 12:39 PM by lmmt61.)
To say the truth, I didn't know about other forum apart from the two first ones: General an HP Prime. Thanks to the complaint I got to know there are others like " Not quite HP...", etc. I understand that this gentleman, who created an excellent emulator, does not like to have his messages sent to a place which few people visit because they are not clearly visible. Maybe another distribution on screen of the different rooms will solve the problem.
09-23-2021, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2021 03:32 PM by Martin Hepperle.)
For me, the "View New Posts" in the title bar is the typical way I enter the HP Forums. So I can see everything in ALL forums. Normally, I don't wade through all sub-fora - too time consuming and disappointing if there is nothing is new.
The other feature I use most often is the "Search" to look up specific topics.

My feeling is that the title "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" might be offending to some people as it may sound a bit like "Yeah, it is somehow related to HP Calculators, but of lower interest or even trash". But that is probably a question of personal interpretation.

Maybe an extra Forum for "Emulators and Simulators" covering soft- and hardware projects would even be better, provided there is enough activity in these areas.

it would be a pity to lose Christoph's contributions because of this issue.

Martin
09-23-2021, 04:15 PM
I check the General, Not Quite HP Calculators, and Not Remotely HP Calculator forums every day. Having to click on three forums instead of one consumes an additional two seconds per visit, while saving me from having to wade through the HP Prime and Library forums, which I'm not interested in, or at least not interested in following daily.

"I insist that there be only one forum in which all topics shall be allowed" seems like a strange attitude to take. Certainly every conceivable layout will have its pros and cons, but how is this something to get angry about and threaten to leave the forum over? I'm honestly confused.
09-23-2021, 04:26 PM
(09-23-2021 04:15 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I check the General, Not Quite HP Calculators, and Not Remotely HP Calculator forums every day. Having to click on three forums instead of one consumes an additional two seconds per visit, while saving me from having to wade through the HP Prime and Library forums, which I'm not interested in, or at least not interested in following daily.

"I insist that there be only one forum in which all topics shall be allowed" seems like a strange attitude to take. Certainly every conceivable layout will have its pros and cons, but how is this something to get angry about and threaten to leave the forum over? I'm honestly confused.

That's kind of my routine too, check the "big three" on each visit. Occasionally I catch up on the software libraries. I don't follow the Prime very closely, but once in a while I take a peek to see what's going on.

Anyway, here's my take on it all:

[Image: 1P3vNxE.jpg]

Take a deep breath, and remember, it's only calculators. Wink
09-23-2021, 05:18 PM
"General Forum", "HP Prime", and "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" could probably all be combined into a single forum with no problems because none of them get an excess amount of traffic. But they are split up now, with clear delineations of what is allowed in each, so those are the rules we should follow unless they are changed. Unfortunately, in the past, the part about emulator topics going in the "Not quite..." forum was often ignored and also not very much enforced, making it so there are a lot of those topics in this forum, so it is understandable for one to post about them here.

On the other hand, when a thread is moved a link stays in the original forum indefinitely to the moved thread in the new forum. This is useful at first but would be nice if those would expire after some days/weeks so they don't continue to pollute the forum indefinitely; at that point the thread might as well just stay where it originally was.

All that said, if you post about emulators in the "Not quite..." forum it is probably more likely to be seen, because there are a lot fewer threads in there and seemingly more relative views per thread since they don't disappear off the first page anywhere near as quickly. And because the link remains in the original forum, it's now visible in two places. So I'm not really seeing a good reason to complain about a thread being moved there; honestly it seems better for the author to have a thread moved than for it to stay in one place!
09-23-2021, 08:05 PM
The hp prime emulator discussions reside in the prime sub forum. Shouldn't these now all be moved to the not quite hp calculator sub forum by the same logic?
09-23-2021, 08:14 PM
(09-23-2021 08:05 PM)Stevetuc Wrote:  The hp prime emulator discussions reside in the prime sub forum. Shouldn't these now all be moved to the not quite hp calculator sub forum by the same logic?

How do you figure? Below the title "HP Prime," I read "Everything related to the HP Prime calculator." That seems pretty straightforward.

Just like how it says "Including all HP calculators except the HP Prime. Also HP news, general math and science etc. (Essentially this is the original HP forum.)" below "General Forum," and "This is place to discuss emulators, simulators, third party firmware like WP34s, and non-HP RPN calculators." below "Not quite HP Calculators - but related."
09-23-2021, 08:20 PM
There is no such thing as an HP Prime emulator. You are thinking of the HP Prime Virtual Calculator, which is not an emulator and is a dedicated application, an HP calculator product that looks like the Prime, not a "Not quite HP calculators". Also, discussion of usage of that is the same as usage of the Prime itself and belongs in the HP Prime section anyway.

Similarly, if someone has questions about a calculator they are emulating, but not asking about the emulation itself, it belongs in the General forum because it's not an emulation question but rather a calculator question. For example if they are emulating a 50g in Emu48 and have a 50g question, that goes in the General forum.
09-23-2021, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2021 10:01 PM by Stevetuc.)
(09-23-2021 08:20 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  There is no such thing as an HP Prime emulator. You are thinking of the HP Prime Virtual Calculator, which is not an emulator and is a dedicated application, an HP calculator product that looks like the Prime, not a "Not quite HP calculators". Also, discussion of usage of that is the same as usage of the Prime itself and belongs in the HP Prime section anyway.

Similarly, if someone has questions about a calculator they are emulating, but not asking about the emulation itself, it belongs in the General forum because it's not an emulation question but rather a calculator question. For example if they are emulating a 50g in Emu48 and have a 50g question, that goes in the General forum.

And I'm not the only one guilty of thinking this as a search for emulator in the prime forum will attest.
And this https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8939
The point I was making is that if an emulator (or simulator/dedicated application /...) is relevant in the prime forum, then an emulator of a non Prime calculator ought to be equally relevant in the General forum.
09-24-2021, 05:35 AM
Personally, I scan the common forums (fora?) in hopes of finding some decent bickering. This is a start, I'll grant, but sadly only the palest imitation of the old days. I remember the classics, like the regular dust up over order of operations (sneer at math teachers if you will, but back in the day we knew that whatever rule folks learned in high school was the bedrock of all that was decent, holy and pure and must be defended at all costs). Come to think of it, a bit of a strange hill to die on in an RPN calculator forum (must have been the high stakes).

But, forgive me, I know that nostalgia has no place here. As you were.
09-24-2021, 11:46 AM
(09-24-2021 05:35 AM)DMaier Wrote:  Personally, I scan the common forums (fora?) in hopes of finding some decent bickering. This is a start, I'll grant, but sadly only the palest imitation of the old days. I remember the classics, like the regular dust up over order of operations (sneer at math teachers if you will, but back in the day we knew that whatever rule folks learned in high school was the bedrock of all that was decent, holy and pure and must be defended at all costs). Come to think of it, a bit of a strange hill to die on in an RPN calculator forum (must have been the high stakes).

But, forgive me, I know that nostalgia has no place here. As you were.

If you're pining for the old days, I can start a thread about how the TI-59 is more powerful than the HP 67 or something. Smile
09-24-2021, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2021 01:01 PM by aurelio.)
(09-24-2021 05:35 AM)DMaier Wrote:  the common forums (fora?)

Smile +1, absolutely
09-24-2021, 02:33 PM
(09-24-2021 01:00 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 05:35 AM)DMaier Wrote:  the common forums (fora?)

Smile +1, absolutely

Fora is correct. Same as bellum .... bella.

:-)
09-24-2021, 04:53 PM
(09-24-2021 02:33 PM)Uli Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 01:00 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Smile +1, absolutely

Fora is correct. Same as bellum .... bella.

:-)
infact the plural form.. Smile
09-24-2021, 11:55 PM
The obvious plural for forum is twelvum with the special dual form being eightum.
09-25-2021, 01:54 AM
Thank you, Gene, for continuing to do a job that is usually thankless.

I'm sorry Christoph but "less attractive" to the poster is not the main sorting criteria on any forum I have used. But if it makes no difference to you whether you announce them at all, it shouldn't be too bad to announce them to a probably smaller group of people that are probably more interested in the topic. Some people don't use emulators. Some people don't use physical calculators. Years ago, when I was learning to fly RC planes, I visited a forum for an RC flight simulator and learned that many of the users of the software never flew physical planes. Different strokes…
09-25-2021, 05:03 AM
(09-24-2021 11:46 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If you're pining for the old days, I can start a thread about how the TI-59 is more powerful than the HP 67 or something. Smile

Well, if you can work in the TI-59's clear advantage due to the universally accepted superiority of putting the arithmetic operations on the right side of the keyboard...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)