[Off topic ?] - What to read to really understand how quantum computing works?
08-04-2021, 09:50 AM
[Off topic ?] - What to read to really understand how quantum computing works?
Hello all

I am wondering for quite a long time now how a quantum computer works. I do know about classical computers and their binary coding sytem (o = no current, 1 = current), but how about quantum computers?

I recently read this article in Quanta magazine, but, despite the fact that it makes it far clearer than what we can usually read here and there, it does not give me any clue on how data are coded in quantum computing (or did I miss something ?).

If some of you have any knowledges or suggestions to share, they would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2021, 02:05 PM
RE: [Off topic ?] - What to read to really understand how quantum computing works?
I have done some work on quantum computing, using RF resonance to determine the spin of a single electron on a silicon chip.

But, no I don't understand it. 8^)

This might help:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-case-again...-computing
08-04-2021, 05:39 PM
RE: [Off topic ?] - What to read to really understand how quantum computing works?
I found the Quantum Computing for the Determined here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mnielsencourses

to be pretty good, and I then went on to the IBM Quantum Experience and ran a Hadamard gate
on a real qubit.

Regards

Andrew
08-04-2021, 06:46 PM
       Title: Quantum Computing Explained
Author(s): David McMahon
 Publisher: Wiley-Interscience :, IEEE Computer Society
       Year: 2008
       ISBN: 0470096993,9780470096994,9780470181362

A self-contained treatment of the fundamentals of quantum computing This clear, practical book takes quantum computing out of the realm of theoretical physics and teaches the fundamentals of the field to students and professionals who have not had training in quantum computing or quantum information theory, including computer scientists, programmers, electrical engineers, mathematicians, physics students, and chemists. The author cuts through the conventions of typical jargon-laden physics books and instead presents the material through his unique "how-to" approach and friendly, conversational style. Readers will learn how to carry out calculations with explicit details and will gain a fundamental grasp of: * Quantum mechanics * Quantum computation * Teleportation * Quantum cryptography * Entanglement * Quantum algorithms * Error correction A number of worked examples are included so readers can see how quantum computing is done with their own eyes, while answers to similar end-of-chapter problems are provided for readers to check their own work as they learn to master the information. Ideal for professionals and graduate-level students alike, Quantum Computing Explained delivers the fundamentals of quantum computing readers need to be able to understand current research papers and go on to study more advanced quantum texts.

BEST!
SlideRule
08-04-2021, 07:28 PM
(08-04-2021 02:05 PM)KeithB Wrote:  I have done some work on quantum computing, using RF resonance to determine the spin of a single electron on a silicon chip.

But, no I don't understand it. 8^)

This might help:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-case-again...-computing

Excellent !
Many thanks for pointing me to this article. Exactly what I was looking for.
I am curious to know what the author would say about the recent announcements on this topic, since the article is slightly out of date (2018). I have an idea, though...
Sounds like it is a bit pessimistic, but who am I to judge?!
08-04-2021, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 07:37 PM by Jean-Michel.)
(08-04-2021 05:39 PM)blackjetrock Wrote:  I found the Quantum Computing for the Determined here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mnielsencourses

to be pretty good, and I then went on to the IBM Quantum Experience and ran a Hadamard gate
on a real qubit.

Regards

Andrew

Thank you Andrew ! I will watch the video.
Regards
08-04-2021, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 07:37 PM by Jean-Michel.)
(08-04-2021 06:46 PM)SlideRule Wrote:         Title: Quantum Computing Explained
Author(s): David McMahon
 Publisher: Wiley-Interscience :, IEEE Computer Society
       Year: 2008
       ISBN: 0470096993,9780470096994,9780470181362

A self-contained treatment of the fundamentals of quantum computing This clear, practical book takes quantum computing out of the realm of theoretical physics and teaches the fundamentals of the field to students and professionals who have not had training in quantum computing or quantum information theory, including computer scientists, programmers, electrical engineers, mathematicians, physics students, and chemists. The author cuts through the conventions of typical jargon-laden physics books and instead presents the material through his unique "how-to" approach and friendly, conversational style. Readers will learn how to carry out calculations with explicit details and will gain a fundamental grasp of: * Quantum mechanics * Quantum computation * Teleportation * Quantum cryptography * Entanglement * Quantum algorithms * Error correction A number of worked examples are included so readers can see how quantum computing is done with their own eyes, while answers to similar end-of-chapter problems are provided for readers to check their own work as they learn to master the information. Ideal for professionals and graduate-level students alike, Quantum Computing Explained delivers the fundamentals of quantum computing readers need to be able to understand current research papers and go on to study more advanced quantum texts.

BEST!
SlideRule

Thank you also !
Not sure I will buy the book anyway, not that it does not sound interesting, but because I simply do not have the necessary knowledge to fully take the benefit of it. I was looking for a short explanation, and the format of an article was enough for me (at least for now).
Regards.
08-05-2021, 01:55 PM
(08-04-2021 07:28 PM)Jean-Michel Wrote:  Sounds like it is a bit pessimistic, but who am I to judge?!

When your article is titled "The Case Against Quantum Computing", you can kind of guess he will be pessimistic. 8^)
08-05-2021, 06:44 PM
This might interest you:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-say...YqnSRskiNA

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-07-2021, 10:47 PM
(08-04-2021 07:36 PM)Jean-Michel Wrote:  Not sure I will buy the book anyway,
You can download it for free on https://pdfcoffee.com/david-mcmahon-quan...-free.html and see if it is for you.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)